• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Confirms Intent to Publish Manga Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
i'm so confused...

Thank God Kodansha got Sailor Moon back.

I kinda hope they start republishing Life.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

Don't wanna sound like an @ss but I don't know if I really would buy anything from Tokyopop after almost being screwed and not getting the final volume of .hack//G.U. vol. 4 novel.

You mean you didn't buy it? Or by 'ALMOST being screwed', meaning you did buy it, but didn't think it would even come out (like most of us thought).

Yeah I got it, two month on backorder, but Rightstuf prevailed! I'm just happy it was printed, because when Tokyopop was closing it's doors I was so disappointed that the book might not come out. But it did so I'm happy!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
*StarFox voice* Good Luck
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
As long as TokyoPop brings back unfinished manga such as Fate/stay night, Ratman, Future Diary, Moon Phase, etc., and they must finish the series all the way, I'm happy with I get.
Aeriven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Aeriven wrote:
Anyway, according to this new Twitter account, the Borders closing played a large part in Tokyopop shutting their own doors,

Which is complete manure anyway, given that before Borders decided to kick the bucket, TP was pretty much at beyond skeletal staff status. It had numerous selling titles stripped from them. And Stu was spending money on one of his stupid vanity projects. God knows how much that was.

...which is why I said it "played a large part" instead of being the sole reason for Tokyopop's shutdown. I don't presume to know everything that happened behind the scenes, but Stu said back in March that the layoffs were due to Borders filing for Chapter 11. Borders had been in trouble for a while, so it could partially explain it. Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to believe that the Borders bankruptcy was the hypothetical "straw that broke the camel's back." But, like I said, I can't be 100% positive.
chefneer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking that Stu's other projects haven't gone as well as he thought they would and he's unable to support himself in the manner to which he feels entitled. After all, he is remarkably efficent at flushing money down the toilet - which becomes much harder to do if there's no money coming in.

The company's earlier statement that:
Quote:
its former titles reverted to their original owners and are "amazingly difficult to get back."
is not a real surprise. I suspect the rights holders got burned by TP's abrupt end just as badly as the fans and any responsible person in business would be leery of trusting this guy again. But who knows, maybe he'll pull it off, and maybe he's learned a valuable lesson - miracles do happen, sometimes.

Would I support TP if they do publish again? I don't know. I suppose it would depend much on which titles they are able to license and how they handle them. Personaly I'm not hopeful, but you never know.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Is it that difficult to choose a different CEO? I mean, Tokyopop's stocks cannot be looking that good.

I wouldn't know how to check, but an educated guess could tell.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Is it that difficult to choose a different CEO? I mean, Tokyopop's stocks cannot be looking that good.

I wouldn't know how to check, but an educated guess could tell.

I don't think TokyoPop is a publicly-traded company. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't mind if they come back so long as they publish my favorite titles. Smile

Same here. For whatever reason, if they're coming back and releasing (read: FINISHING) the series under their belt, I'll be thrilled.

But hear me now, Levy: If you're gonna do something, do it right. Stick with it 'til the very end, whatever end it may be! Do not play with the hearts of these titles' fans anymore, go with the print-on-demand idea (which I loved since some TP manga I wanted to see completed were more obscure than the Hetalias and the Fruits Baskets), and cherish the dedicated staff you have/had.

Cautious optimism... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
And barf.....reading the supporting comments on their FB page makes me sick....why are fans so stupid/blind to Stu's obvious drama? Oh, right, they are Hetalia fans. -_- (I'm a fan myself but most of the fandom aren't the brightest of the bunch, which saddens me).

While I disagree with the blanket Hetalia fan comment, I do agree that the supporting comments are pretty disturbing. Sadly, a lot of them just see "Hey, they're thinking of publishing my favorite manga again!" and rally behind that instead of actually doing the research and thinking about it.

Anyway...this is really confusing and annoying me. To be completely honest, if TP was just going to turn around a few months later saying "Oh, we're going to try and publish manga again!" then they really shouldn't have closed to begin with. The fluttering between doing this and doing that never settles right, and Stu Levy should know that.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Is he like Uwe Boll or something? Where giving him money somehow gets the people who gave him the money tax benefits or something?

Very good question... I think he can be alot like Uwe Boll for other various reasons too :p Perhaps also very similar to Tommy Wiseau.

chefneer wrote:
I suspect the rights holders got burned by TP's abrupt end just as badly as the fans and any responsible person in business would be leery of trusting this guy again. But who knows, maybe he'll pull it off, and maybe he's learned a valuable lesson - miracles do happen, sometimes.

Perhaps, one night he'll be visited by three ghosts! ...except the tombstone would say either "manga fandom" or "Stu's career".

Aura Ichadora wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
And barf.....reading the supporting comments on their FB page makes me sick....why are fans so stupid/blind to Stu's obvious drama? Oh, right, they are Hetalia fans. -_- (I'm a fan myself but most of the fandom aren't the brightest of the bunch, which saddens me).

While I disagree with the blanket Hetalia fan comment, I do agree that the supporting comments are pretty disturbing. Sadly, a lot of them just see "Hey, they're thinking of publishing my favorite manga again!" and rally behind that instead of actually doing the research and thinking about it.

I find that many manga/anime/game fans that post questions and comments on official companies Facebook pages, really don't know alot about how things work... Let alone the whole Stu Levy stuff, some people think that Tokyopop actually MAKES manga >_> So yeah, Hetalia fans are one thing, but I see silly questions like that ALOT.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Aeriven wrote:
But, like I said, I can't be 100% positive.

You're willing to believe a guy whom has squandered money, made numerous bad business choices, has constantly derided fans and the industry, has had one of the most spectacular "mid-life" crises any 40-ish guy has had, and harass natural disaster victims?

I'd like you to meet someone, his name is Jim Jones....
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
since I am too lazy to read all the posts, I wonder if anyone has considered, that maybe this was planned all along....

think about it, tokyopop didn't close up, they just did a temporary withdraw. they must of found a loophole that allowed them to close up shop, screw over anyone they own money too, and somehow move tokyopop somewhere else where he can start new, and for less money.

but I am just a conspiracy nut, so dont listen to what I babble on and on about,
Aeriven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
stuff

Are you serious? I'm trying to be objective about this entire situation, and you think it's appropriate to throw in comparisons to people like that? Well, exCUSE me. Think I'll bow out of this one, not worth the energy.

Good luck, Tokyopop. You're gonna need it.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Since they've already left us once, I don't ever intend on buying manga from them again. They've lost my trust and they've left us with a lot of unfinished series and lots of series that nobody really cares about. It would be great if they could bring us more prints of Kodocha and Marmalade Boy but I doubt that'll happen. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9