• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus

I'm gonna have to vote for Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman. I don't really view The Elrics vs. Homunculi as a true rivalry.

Group D-26
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
vs.
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk

Guts vs. Griffith are rivals are at first, but later become good friends, only to become enemies again. Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma are a much better example of a classic rivalry.

Group D-27
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise
vs.
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun

Voting for Ayeka vs. Ryoko. Much more entertaining than Vash vs. Knives, although somewhat repetitive.

Group D-28
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed

Many arguments involving this matchup. I don't know much about either pair, but I'm inclined to vote for Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya. Their rivalry is certainly unique, I'd like to see more.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus

From the posts, it seems that the FMA rivalry has more support than it deserves, Let me lend a helping hand to Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman. I also am familiar with the FMA rivalry and I don't really consider them to be a concise and clear cut rivalry.

Group D-26
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
vs.
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk

Rivals, friends and then enemies while these changes are interesting, this Berserk rivalry becomes trivializes right before it starts to get interesting. Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma are a much better rivalry, and a perfect example of one of my favorite archetypes.

Group D-27
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise
vs.
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun

Vash vs. Knives because the latter doesn't have much to offer other than a dynamic that beaten into the oblivion of repetitiveness. Honestly though, neither choice is strong or without major flaws.

Group D-28
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed

I'm going to go with what I know despite recent arguments. Kazuma vs. Ryuhou is a straight-forward clear cut rivalry that's well defined and never really wavers even in the show's resolution. There's never a doubt that this rivalry is real and genuine.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group D is now closed.

Boy, I wish I'd had time to log in and check the discussion before a few minutes before the bell, as there was certainly some "interesting" assertions made in the C-28 discussion. (Ryuhou and Kazuma's growth was entirely independent of each other? Really?) Not that I think that counter-arguments tonight would have done much good, but whatever. Here are the official results, with 15 votes in:

D-25: The Elrics vs. Homonculi handily defeat Isamu vs. Guld, 11-6.
D-26: Yuki vs. Kyo Sohma destroys Guts vs. Griffith, 14-3.
D-27: Ayeka vs. Ryoko downs Vash vs. Knives, 11-6.
D-28: Hikaru vs. Akira outlasts Ryuhou vs. Kazuma, 10-7.

The only match that was ever competitive was, of course, D-28, which was tied at one point Monday evening; D-25 and D-27 were much more spread for most of the week. I had a lot written up that I wanted to say about that D-28, but I'll save it instead for two weeks from now. All I'll say here is that I will be coming with both barrels loaded on that one. (Many of the arguments made against Kazuma/Ryuhou won't work against Ryoko/Ayeka.)

Power Rankings
Um, yeah. I screwed around and didn't get these done earlier today when I did have the time. Expect them sometime Tuesday or Wednesday, as now I'd rather get the new round out in good time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I had a lot written up that I wanted to say about that D-28, but I'll save it instead for two weeks from now. All I'll say here is that I will be coming with both barrels loaded on that one. (Many of the arguments made against Kazuma/Ryuhou won't work against Ryoko/Ayeka.)

I look forward to hammering against your claims in two weeks then on account I've seen both of the mentioned titles. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Groups A and B Semifinals is now closed.

Results can be found here

For those who weren’t paying attention at the beginning, I did state that I was going to start combining Groups in Round 4, rather than now, in the interest of keeping the tournament from dragging, which has been a common complaint. Thus, we have a lot more to decide here than the norm, as well as some disgustingly difficult matches to pick:

Group A-29
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-30
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
vs.
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!

Group B-29
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise
vs.
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z

Group B-30
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Key wrote:
I had a lot written up that I wanted to say about that D-28, but I'll save it instead for two weeks from now. All I'll say here is that I will be coming with both barrels loaded on that one. (Many of the arguments made against Kazuma/Ryuhou won't work against Ryoko/Ayeka.)

I look forward to hammering against your claims in two weeks then on account I've seen both of the mentioned titles. Laughing

Oh, I'm already pretty sure I know how you and a couple of others are going to argue that one and will be ready for that. Wink
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
The second video clip description for Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable is full of errors.

It is should be:

"Amuro is involved in a major battle with a custom enemy mobile suit and eventually finds himself battling two custom mobile suits, one of which is piloted by Char. After destroying the first mobile suit, Amuro fights Char. The battle results in a draw as Char escapes."

I am providing some background information on the second clip if that helps.

The first mobile suit which Amuro battles is a Gyan piloted by a Zeon pilot named M'quve. He sees Char as a rival when it comes to feats on the battlefield. Luring the Gundam into the colony is M'quve's first step in beating it. M'quve sees this as a grand opportunity to score some recognition points but his plan did not exactly work out the way he wanted.

The second mobile suit is the most advanced mobile suit that Zeon has developed this late into the One Year War. It is called a Gelgoog. Amuro easily deduces that the custom painted red mobile suit has Char as the pilot.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Key, you have the wrong opponent for Match A-29. Light and L are supposed to be up against the undead (Humans vs Shiki) instead of Inuyasha-tachi vs Naraku.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
Why do you say that, Ggultra2764? Last round's A results were posted as
Quote:
A-25: Light vs. L destroys the Dragons, 15-2.
A-26: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku edges Humans vs. Shiki, 9-8.
A-27: San vs. Lady Eboshi manhandles (womanhandles?) Alucard vs. Anderson, 13-4.
A-28: Shizuo vs. Izaya nips Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, 9-8.

Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Why do you say that, Ggultra2764? Last round's A results were posted as
Quote:
A-25: Light vs. L destroys the Dragons, 15-2.
A-26: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku edges Humans vs. Shiki, 9-8.
A-27: San vs. Lady Eboshi manhandles (womanhandles?) Alucard vs. Anderson, 13-4.
A-28: Shizuo vs. Izaya nips Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, 9-8.

My bad. Memory must have left me on account of how close the match was weeks ago.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
Since no one has actually voted yet, I'll get things started off:

Group A-29
vs.

I really want to keep supporting the Inuyasha rivalry, and really want to see the DN rivalry beat, but the second clip shows exactly why Light vs. L should and will win this match-up, and probably by a landslide. The cerebral gymnastics these two go through to try to second-guess and outwit each other was one of the major factors which drew my interest to the series in the first place.

Group A-30
vs.

A much harder choice; I could easily see this going either way and won't be disappointed regardless of which way it goes. Both are respectable if unspectacular choices (I would have taken the Inuyasha rivalry over either of them) and both are clearly-defined within their respective series. Shizuo vs. Izaya is the more fun rivalry to watch, but I'm giving a slight edge to San vs. Lady Eboshi here because their personal rivalry is symbolic of the movie's broader rivalry between nature and civilization, and that gives it a deeper meaning. I don't see either of these standing a chance against the DN rivalry next round, though.

Group B-29
vs.

This is a very, very tough pick, as the arguments in both cases nearly exactly offset. Naruto vs. Sasuke is a case of teammates ultimately being torn apart by a rivalry despite the best efforts of one of them to resist, while Goku vs. Vegeta is more a case of enemies who are drawn together by common cause and heritage despite the best efforts of one of them to resist. Which is more interesting? Both feature characters who initially looked down on the other as inferior and get upset when the inferior one threatens to upstage him, both have characters who seek to redeem the other, and both participants in both rivalries affirm a strong interest in being able to beat the other in a fight. Both have hundreds of episodes to develop their rivalries, too, and both work together at times. N/S has a little more emotional appeal, but G/V has a slightly deeper foundation and better plays up the importance of a warrior's pride in such a conflict. And both are, of course, hallmark shonen action rivalries.

Ultimately I'm going with Goku vs. Vegeta because it accomplishes its rivalry without descending into melodrama, as the Naruto/Sasuke rivalry does. It's also the original, and that matters here.

Group B-30
vs.

Still don't think Lelouch vs. Suzaku should have won last round and feel that its merits have been overstated. Amuro vs. Char also gets my vote because it more squarely lays at the core of its story and set a template for ongoing mecha pilot conflict that has been aped ever since.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku Why? I enjoyed Inuyasha for much longer than 25 episodes. The character were better developed, which helped me to like them more. And the more I invest in characters, the better and more engaging is rivalry for me.

Group A-30
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi Shizu and Izaya's rivalry is funny, but the San vs. Eboshi is the more interesting of the two.

Group B-29
vs.

Goku vs. Vegeta I don't care about either, but I'm slightly annoyed that Naruto and Sasuke beat Shunan vs. Nugan in the first round.

Group B-30
vs.

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi This is another match I don't care about in the slightest. I'm voting for Lulu vs. Suzakul, because it brings something new to the table and I'm not familiar with the other series. Besides, the clip doesn't convince me to vote for Amuro vs. Char.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L - I can't really say anything more that I have not said in the previous round. Light vs L rivalry is what makes the series interesting, and the second arch of the series is a proof of how interesting that rivalry was. Aside from that, watching the two interact had me laughing or sitting on the edge of mu chair.

Group A-30
vs.

Princess Mononoke conflict is something I find a lot more interesting. It is not only a conflict between two different characters, but two different philosophies- a choice between the beauty of an intact nature or the development of a civilisation. When I first watched Mononoke ages ago, I really admired San for protecting the forest alongside the forest gods, but it slowly came to me that Eboshi's choice- to protect people, to give the outcasts a new home, to build a fortress where they would be safe, was a huge achievement too; and because of that, I think San and Eboshi deserve to go through.

Group B-29
vs.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha
Regardless of DB merits, I found Naruto's rivalry a bit more interesting. The DB clip did not get me interested in the rivalry too. Out of the two rivalries I feel indifferent about, Ill stick with Naruto.

Group B-30
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam[/quote]

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi - I might change the vote later on; I am not al hat familiar with MSG. I quite enjoyed Code Geass, so for now I will stick to the familiar one.
mow123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L - The rivalry between Light and L is what drives Death Note to its very core, and it is the singular thing that really gets your adrenaline pumping and your eyes glued to the screen.

Group A-30
vs.

While the Princess Mononoke rivalry has it's merits and conflicting ideologies, so does the latter. I also found the Mononoke rivalry to be quite stiff compared to the always fun to watch Durarara rivalry. That and the attention grabbing impact is much stronger with Shizuo vs. Izaya.

Group B-29
vs.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha
Naruto bias aside, the Naruto vs Sasuke rivalry has lot going for it. It drives the story, there's a lot of emotional impact on the main character, and it really causes Naruto to adapt when he finally realizes what Sasuke has become. Sure there's a lot of unnecessary waiting and drama, but versus the DBZ rivalry that's a fault that can be forgiven.

Group B-30
vs.

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi - Both rivalries are respectable, but this Code Geass rivalry is really the king of melodramatic, and hyperbolic pathos. It doesn't drive to be realistic, but sensationalist and fun. Throw in some interesting past developed back stories and some strongly conflicting core beliefs and you have a great rivalry.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L: I'm voting for them because I find Light and L's rivalry at a different scale. It involved countless devious plans and endangering the lives of countless people - Light has stopped caring who he hurts - just to find a winner. After a very well thought out and not at all anticipated plan, Light finally manages to rid of L, for a very huge price.

Group A-30
vs.

Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara: Toss up, I'm not familiar with either one, sadly.

Group B-29
vs.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha: I'm voting for them because while I like the DBZ rivalry, I prefer the direction that the Naruto took. Naruto and Sasuke's story is just sad - from friends, they ended up at very different places, with very different ideologies. What's more tragic is that Sasuke has given up everything in search for power and has reached a point where he's willing to kill for power, while Naruto has harnessed his inner talent and skill with a part of him hoping it will save Sasuke, I believe.

Group B-30
vs.

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi: I'm voting for them because I really do like this pairing, as I've said before. Their clash of ideologies is amazing for me. Add to their fight a huge pile of dead bodies and you've got a good rivalry. Also, I'm not familiar with the second entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 38