• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto and One Piece on Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Hello?

Toonami will show One Piece reruns while FoxBox/4kidstv will show brand new episodes,DUH.

God,nothing is ever good enough for some people.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Naruto in adult Swim....LOL don't make me laugh. Fanboy these days.

True that!

its got a lot less work than One Piece. The only thing that would require some sort of editing is really stuff about Gaara, Zabuza's fight in the end. Thats about it. Without giving away spoilers, can anyone, who seen the series think of anything else?

Let's see, there's the Sexy No Jitsu (called the Ninja Centerfold in Viz's manga translation) which will definatly have to go, which is going to make the ending to episode 2 a pain to edit...there's the sequence where Gara tries to stab himself...the scenes where Naruto and Orochimaru do stab themselves (both in the hand) especially since Orochimaru does it just to wake himself up...the scene where Kakashi scares Sakura with an illusion of Sasuke bleeding profusly with multiple knives sticking out of him and his leg bending the wrong way....the end of the fight between Gara and Lee...the sequence where Itachi makes Kakashi believe he is being crucified and tortured with a sword...the sequence where that one kid's father is ACTUALLY crucified....Kiba teaching his dog to mark trees while jumping, with lots of lovingly drawn dog urine flying everywhere (and Shino commenting "I can't work with this guy")...Iruka with a huge shuriken sticking out of his back...Jiraya's habit of peeping in on women while they're bathing...the sequence where Orochimaru makes Sasuke believe he just died...various references to Tsunade's large breasts...a giant snake exploding in a shower of blood and guts...LOTS of random blood spurts here and there...and, since this IS Toonami, the third Hokage smoking a pipe.

Oh, and some spolier-y ones too:

spoiler[The flashback sequence showing Itachi casually murdering his entire family, except for Sasuke
-The sequence where Itachi forces Sasuke to relive the above tragedy, over and over again, countless times
-Orochimaru revealing the two dead bodies of his assistants which he used to reanimate the two former Hokages.
-The scene where they find Hayate's corpse, already half-eaten by scavenging birds
-The scene where Kazekage's corpse is found, already badly decomposed and covered in maggots
-Sarutobi summoning a Shinigami and attempting to pull out Orochimaru's soul
-The flashback to the death of Tsunade's brother, which shows his body covered in a sheet in a mourge
-The flashback to the death of Tsunade's boyfriend, where she ends up covered in his blood
]

I could go on, but this post is long enough. So in regards to Naruto on Adult Swim-not as ridiculous as you thought, huh? :p
Gamelore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote
Naruto is quite a bit bloodier than a lot of stuff they have on Adult Swim right now. But no matter where they show it, I will avoid even watching clips of it in order to keep the voice acting unmolested in my mind.
lyger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
noneko_Mamimi wrote:
I'm just scared to hear the dub. I REALLY love the Japanese voices. I read the manga first and the voices were EXACTLY how I thought they should be. Compared to the Japanese voices, the dub will be terrible. And even if it isn't, it still probably will be to me, but that's just because I love the Japanese voices and I'll be biased.

yeah same here alot of pepole will think the same thing
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
Naruto is quite a bit bloodier than a lot of stuff they have on Adult Swim right now.

If it does indeed stay on Toonami, which seems to be more and more likely with all the official statements, then it will really test Cartoon Network's bold declaration in Q1 2004 that Toonami will be "aging up" for tweens and teenagers. So far, the one "aged" show they had on there, Gundam SEED, got moved off for bad ratings, so this could test its principles.
VOX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Since Shopro/Viz licensed Naruto they will most likely be using the Ocean group (probably best known to people from Inu-Yasha) to dub it. So my roomate and I were trying to figure out who's voice will end up with who's. I don't know any of the voice actors names so I'm just going to list who they did on Inu-Yasha.

Naruto - Inu Yasha??? (I hope they don't, but that's what they'll probably do)
Sasuke - Miroku
Sakura - Kagome
Kakashi - Sashomaru
Tsunade - Sango (though the woman who does Faye Valentine would be perfect for her)
Kiba - Inu Yasha (perfect fit but I don't think they'll stick him w/ such a minor character)
Orochimaru - That guy who used to do Vegeta season 1 and 2 (don't know if he's still with Ocean group)

I can't think of any others right now (especially since I'm not that big of a Inu Yasha fan). What do you guys think? Who would you use
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
Naruto is quite a bit bloodier than a lot of stuff they have on Adult Swim right now. But no matter where they show it, I will avoid even watching clips of it in order to keep the voice acting unmolested in my mind.
Compared to Ghost in the Shell Stand alone Complex and some of the things in Full metal Alchimist?

I dont think think So. Naruto is pretty tame.

Sexy no Jutso they will just edit on a bikini like the Japanese did for the video games. Everything else till around the mid 30's I dont think will be a problem.

And since this is Viz and we will get uncut bilingual Dvds I dont give a crap if they do edit it. Im just looking foward to merchandising.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
VOX wrote:
I don't know any of the voice actors names so I'm just going to list who they did on Inu-Yasha.

You know, there's this site called animenewsnetwork.com that has cast lists for a lot of animes..... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it probably will be Richard Cox as the fox demon ninja. But whatever happened to Ian Corlett?

Wyvern wrote:
*list of possible things to edit*
So in regards to Naruto on Adult Swim-not as ridiculous as you thought, huh?

"THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD" POST COUNT: 9 (8 are from the other thread)

Get a clue. Look at Kenshin and then make it slighty more uniform. Yes, there won't be any pipe smoking, but faking death?! Please. You do know that Dragonball kept in all or most of the peepy sequences. DRAGONBALL!!!

Welcome back the glory and splendor that is digital bikinis. Now shut up and watch happily like the rest of us "heathens."
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
VOX wrote:
As for Ian Corlett I think he quit doing voice work (in general, not just DBZ) after season 1 of DBZ.

No, I don't think so. He did stuff for "Sitting Ducks" at least, and that wasn't too long ago.

[ADDENDUM: He's now a writer. Whoo. And what's with me posting ahead of people I quote?!]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, even if One Piece was less cut, the fact that it got dumped to a network which is watched by a smaller percentage of the same demographic as 4Kids pretty much proves how much popularity the series lacks in the U.S., compared to Japan. It'll probably do better than Conan in dvd sales, but it's not gonna do DBZ numbers.

I think I get your point, as I've pointed out many times myself that Spongebob Squarepants reruns get 5 or 6 times the ratings of One Piece among the all-important Kids 6-11 demographic (the one the advertisers care about for Saturday morning cartoons), but CN, while it doesn't get Nickelodeon's numbers on Saturdays, still beats everything on broadcast television in the 6-11 demographic, including 4Kids' syndicated block on Fox.

Unfortunately, ratings information for weekday afterschool programming isn't nearly as readily available as the Saturday morning ratings, so i wouldn't be able to say how well CN and Nick do compared to Fox in that timeslot for that demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VOX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
VOX wrote:
I don't know any of the voice actors names so I'm just going to list who they did on Inu-Yasha.

You know, there's this site called animenewsnetwork.com that has cast lists for a lot of animes..... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it probably will be Richard Cox as the fox demon ninja. But whatever happened to Ian Corlett?

I know, I'm just lazy and didn't feel like finding everyones name. Plus when I try to explain to people who they are (because I do know a few names off hand) they usually don't know who I'm talking about until I tell them who they've voiced before.

As for Ian Corlett I think he quit doing voice work (in general, not just DBZ) after season 1 of DBZ.

Last edited by VOX on Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
Naruto is quite a bit bloodier than a lot of stuff they have on Adult Swim right now.

Ah, the great misconception that gore = maturity. Naruto may sport "more blood" than, say, Big O or Witch Hunter Robin, but the fact remains that Naruto's storyline is the sort of thing that elementary school kids get the most into ("I'm gonna be the bestest super ninja ever!"). The two Adult Swim shows I mentioned both feature...I guess you could say more refined plots with more complex themes (and in Big O's case, the sort of odd tongue-in-cheek humour like episode eighteen) that better appeal to an adult audience. The amount of blood has nothing to do with how much more mature one is over the other, and removing some random Chuunin getting stabbed with a kunai in episode 40-whatever won't compromise the overall theme of the series.

Wyvern wrote:
So in regards to Naruto on Adult Swim-not as ridiculous as you thought, huh? :p

Hm...nope, still ridiculous. Again, gore is not maturity of story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Server...

Last edited by Nagisa on Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, ratings information for weekday afterschool programming isn't nearly as readily available as the Saturday morning ratings, so i wouldn't be able to say how well CN and Nick do compared to Fox in that timeslot for that demographic.

I don't know as though Fox plays weekday after-school cartoons anymore. I think that of the broadcast networks, only WB is still doing this.

One Piece and Naruto seem to be very similar story style-wise to other adventure type shows CN's previously had success with - DBZ, IY, DB. I'd figure that both should be fairly successfull. They've got a lot more action and some humore, as apposed to the last big name show they got - SEED. Toonami is deffinately the place for these shows, though.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo being licensed is simply amazing. This was the one anime series that Japanese predicted would NEVER be licensed in America... (of course, they also predicted Hi no Tori wouldn't either...whaddya know.)

Of course the Naruto/One Piece thing is hot, but with Bo^7 being licensed, the floodgates have opened.

We've seen liscening Kodomo no Omocha, Milk-chan, Naruto, One Piece, Bobobo. Almost nothing seems off limits anymore for licensing! I won't be suprised if we someday get to see a plain nonmagical nonaction Shoujo series on tv.

Quote:
I'm kinda worried how the dub will turn out tho...There's WAY too many Japanese puns...

Hope One Piece can get on less edited~! Cross your fingers! (anything we can do to make it happen?)

I think there'll be no way to avoid hearing the dub as I'm sure we all have some [morbid] curiousity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5