• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Oscar Nom for Innocence

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
That's too bad. Maybe if it had won a Cannes itwould have a better chance.

Here's who got them nominations:
THE INCREDIBLES
SHARK TALE
SHREK 2

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nominees.html
KirklandVR6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
THE INCREDIBLES
SHARK TALE
SHREK 2

Figures. Not true anime if you ask me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought that The Incredibles was the best animated film I had seen in years, so I will be very pleased to see it win, unless Shrek 2 pulls an upset.

In a hypothetical matchup, I'd easily vote for The Incredibles over any Ghibli film released since Kiki's Delivery Service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Any US award is worthless anyway. They're rigged anyway
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:

So true.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
And I suppose if Howl wins next year, then it won't be "rigged" because it will be the result that online anime fans prefer? Rolling Eyes

Not that Howl winning is a certainty, since it will have tough critical competition from at least both The Corpse Bride and The Wallace and Gromit Movie, but it will almost certainly be nominated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Shark Tale? you've gotta be shitting me.
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Great. Just Great.
Anyway, I believe it did not receive a nomination because:
No English Dub
No Word of Mouth

What I can't get over is the fact that the mediocre Shark Tale got one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:

So, was it worthless when Spirited Away won two years ago?

Should Myaizaki have declined the award?
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
various friends have told me and people on this board have said that GiTS2 wasn't that good anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit surprised that Shark Tale got nominated over something like Polar Express, as it didn't get especially strong reviews, but the other two were shoe-ins. And my money's on The Incredibles for a deserving win.

I am not at all surprised to see that GITS2: Innocence didn't get nominated because, while it was a visually impressive movie, I found it lacking in plotting and character development. Both The Incredibles and Shrek 2 trumped it in those categories and had visuals just as good.

Don't fret, guys 'n gals. 2004 just wasn't a strong year for anime films released in the States. In 2005 you've got Howl's Moving Castle, Appleseed, and Steamboy coming, and possibly others as well. There'd have to be a damn strong American field to shut out anime titles next year.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Don't fret, guys 'n gals. 2004 just wasn't a strong year for anime films released in the States. In 2005 you've got Howl's Moving Castle, Appleseed, and Steamboy coming, and possibly others as well. There'd have to be a damn strong American field to shut out anime titles next year.

Though only Howl will actually be nominated. Appleseed got minimal distribution, even by anime-in-theatre standards, and, while Steamboy seems like it will be getting a release comparable to Disney's releases of the Ghibli films, it's being released too early in the year to be able to coast on the critical momentum, which I'm already predicting will be with both The Corpse Bride and The Wallace and Gromit Movie. Miyazaki will get in on his Oscar street cred (as will Nick Park, who is a triple Oscar winner).
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that virtually no one understands Innocence anyway. =P

The Incredibles should well deserve the oscar, though Shrek 2 has potential to maybe take it as well. Shark Tale... is... well...

By the way... this is for animated titles right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Golgo13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious that Shrek 2 and The Incredibles would be up for the two nominaiton slots, but the third was really a mixed bag. I saw it as a neck-and-neck race between The Polar Express and GITS2.

But Shark Tale!? This film offers nothing in terms of animation technique that we already haven't seen in Finding Nemo. Not to mention the characters are cliche and based on stereotypes.

And just to put everyone at ease this year, Pixar's Cars won't be coming until 2006.

Last edited by Golgo13 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but anime can only be up for best animated picture if it was released in BOTH Japan and America in the same year. This pretty much dashes my hopes of Steamboy being up for the award as well.

No, for every category except for Best Foreign Film, films not originally released in the United States have until the end of the calendar year following the year of release in the original country to be released in Los Angeles for it to be eligible. So Howl's Moving Castle, Steamboy, and Appleseed will all be eligible, however, I think only one of them actually will be nominated, due to Miyazaki being the only anime director the Academy takes seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3