• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Limited (wanna stab myself in eye) Edition Releases

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy my most beloved hobby there is one aspect of it that makes me want to buy a rifle and climb a clock tower. I think you all (don’t) know what I am talking about. Yes, the loathsome Limited Edition anime releases of boxed sets or first volumes with extras. I have an anime shopping-list longer than Santa’s and instead of buying the titles that I want the most every month I find myself forced to prioritise the LE releases because I fear that if I wait I wont be able to find them later. I rather only use Ebay in case of emergencies and since I live in Europe my anime shopping sources are rather limited.

That in itself would be fine and dandy but as I have found out these so called Limited Edition releases are not always labelled as being limited, leading one to think that they are safe until they suddenly disappear. When I look at the items in the wish list of my favourite online dealer I see very few with the words Limited Edition in their titles. But there are plenty of perfect, complete or collector’s editions and some of those are actually Limited Edition releases.

I was thinking this could be a thread to list all the currently available releases that are in danger of going extinct some time in the future so the people who want them can get a warning beforehand. You could also just voice your discontent over the whole LE phenomenon in anime but it wouldn’t accomplish much unless you also send copy to the ones making them.

Anywaste, I recently discovered that the following titles are actually LE and will disappear soon:

Zeta Gundam Set
Giant Robo V.1 With Box
Witch Hunter Robin Complete Collection
Geneshaft Complete Collection
Love Hina Complete Collection
S-Cry-Ed Complete Collection
Banner of the Stars Complete Collection
Ghost In The Shell: SAC The Limited Edition Volumes (That one is pretty obvious)
Fullmetal Alchemist Starter Set (Not released yet actually)
R.O.D: TV V.1 With Collector's Box
Samurai Champloo V.1 With Collector's Box

And countless more that will leave me broke for months to come.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Lance mentioned that the FMA starter set won't be limited.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Zeta Gundam Set

I was lucky to reserve it as my X-mas present. I've yet to watch any of it though. I'm going to rewatch the MSG movie trilogy, and throw in 08th MS Team and 0083 for fun before moving to Zeta.

Quote:
Banner of the Stars Complete Collection

I bought the box for part II, but to see it I have to see part I, and to see that, I have to see Crest of the Stars... Anime dazed. I just need to make sure I get part I of Banner first, though.

Quote:
Ghost In The Shell: SAC The Limited Edition Volumes (That one is pretty obvious)

I believe they were only Special Edition, meaning they're not Limited in number. Basically, you just get a DVD with better sound, a slipcase, and an extra of some sort. Of course, there are also potential messups as well...

Quote:
R.O.D. the TV V.1 With Collector's Box

I like this one. It's probably the coolest looking case next to the .hack//SIGN LE box. I really wish the WHR box was like this one instead of that flimsy.. thing.. that came out in October.

Quote:
Samurai Champloo V.1 With Collector's Box

Don't have it yet, but it's near the top of my list. I like the series a lot and will try to get this before the 2nd volume comes out in March.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Giant Robo V.1 With Box

Ok, first off, Giant Robo 1 + box SUCKS. The box uses Jewel cases, forces you to throw away packaging, and is very, very cheaply made. I have to reccomend the normal vol 1, or just wait for the brick.

The gits: sac limited editions are actually just "special editions", and will run out of print when they stop selling.

Everything else.... you don't HAVE to buy the boxes, ya know?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Everything else.... you don't HAVE to buy the boxes, ya know?

I don’t have to, yes. But I want them non-the less. Nothing is uglier than a 3-10 volume series without a box to hold the discs. It just looks so crappy on my shelf beside all the other beautiful boxes.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ok, first off, Giant Robo 1 + box SUCKS. The box uses Jewel cases, forces you to throw away packaging, and is very, very cheaply made. I have to reccomend the normal vol 1, or just wait for the brick.

Too late I already bought it and it should arrive any day now. Maybe I'll rebuy vol. 1 again if the box is that bad but come on! It’s the eye of Volger for Christ’s sake. It doesn’t matter how cheaply made it is, it's just cool to have it. Lord knows I have waited long enough to get Giant Robo on legal dvd.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am in the same position.

the Escaflowne set has the series and the movie in one, costing....at most 50$ at Best Buy, and the Love Hina series in its entirety costs around the same.

I could have saved so much money if I got those versions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
SuperOnizuka wrote:

the Escaflowne set has the series and the movie in one, costing....at most 50$ at Best Buy, and the Love Hina series in its entirety costs around the same.

Yeah but do they come in a box as wicked as the special edition series and movie one’s? I wouldn't trade the ones I have for any amount of money, ok maybe a million.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I want to get the first two volumes of GIT:SAC special edition. The music rocks.

I can wait for the box set of R.O.D. I'm in no hurry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Tokoro de. Anyone know why GTO: DVD Collection 1 is no longer being sold anywhere? I assume that it was a limited edition release, although it wasn't stated anywhere. So what about Collection 2? Is that limited as well?

Also list some more LE releases if you know any.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
SuperOnizuka wrote:

Yeah but do they come in a box as wicked as the special edition series and movie one’s? I wouldn't trade the ones I have for any amount of money, ok maybe a million.

If I were to pick them up today, I would definitely go with the more compact version that costed 50 a piece that had the series and the movie together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
OK, in the other box sets thread, I said I would take pictures of the Witch Hunter Robin box for kamiboy to see, so here it is:

And as an extra, here's the .hack//SIGN LE collection. I threw the slipcases away though, but it's the hexagon box, the t-shirt, OSTs, OST box, postcards, and Grunty/Puchigusou plush:

Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
It's probabally a good bet to assume all the Volume 1 + Artbox releases are limited to some degree. It's pretty hard to find the ones for S-CRY-ed and Noir nowadays. I believe the Gungrave and Ikki Tousen boxes are also limited.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Are these boxes really sought after? I threw away my Hack, Rahxephon, Heat Guy J, Noir, WHR etc. boxes away since I ordered the LE for the bonus CDs and T-shirts! The only box I thought was too nice to throw away was the Berserk box which folds out to hold the red DVD cases and has illustraions in the inside of the box too and the Akira metal tin. I tend to use those 300+ DVD/CD wallets to organize DVDs since they take almost no space in comparison to 300 DVD clam shells. I do however keep the DVD inserts and cover inserts in nice piles next to the tv.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
Most people buy the artboxes as collector's pieces because they look good, hold all the volumes to the series, and come with those nifty little extras like T-shirts, CDs etc. Seems like kind of a waste to throw them away, if I were you I'd sell the boxes on Ebay or something (Make sure you say it's just the box and nothing else though, otherwise it's bad bussiness tactics). That way you could at least get some money for it, there's bound to be some collector out there who would buy it off you. Wink
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
The happy meals of anime.

The only one I really missed out and regret was the Cowboy Bebop LE boxset. I already had all of the DVDS, but I really would have liked the soundtrack and a box to store them all in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5