• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aliases versus Real Names

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millebaci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
For the English voice actors, I know that they are listed by their most frequently used Alias, not neccesarily their real name. However, I run Melissa Fahn/Charles' (#1183) website and in working with her, she has frequently mentioned that she prefers to be listed by her real name, Melissa Fahn, rather than the Alias of "Melissa Charles". I was wondering if there was any way that it could be adjusted to reflect her real name?
Thanks much,
Jackie T, Head Web Mistress of Mille Baci http://melissa.wicked-popular.com
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, this problem has been mentioned several times, and it is a rather technical one. It's not we don't want to list her name in the way she prefers, but it's the structural nature of the database making it harder to do so. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
millebaci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I understand if its not possible, I just know of the reprecussions that the actors themselves face for even having those aliases, let alone being listed by them as opposed to their real names. Damn unions
AKosygin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the English voice actors, I know that they are listed by their most frequently used Alias, not neccesarily their real name. However, I run Melissa Fahn/Charles' (#1183) website and in working with her, she has frequently mentioned that she prefers to be listed by her real name, Melissa Fahn, rather than the Alias of "Melissa Charles". I was wondering if there was any way that it could be adjusted to reflect her real name?
Thanks much,
Jackie T, Head Web Mistress of Mille Baci http://melissa.wicked-popular.com

Actually, I think it would be a dis-service to you to put her real name instead of her alias, because people see her on the credits with her alias. And to put her real name on the series entry instead of what is displayed at the credits would make it difficult for people to find her and I believe that it would be counter-productive in that manner.

Since there are links to the individual cast listings, it would be more logical to put her real name there on the cast pages so that people can find her under her alias and then can discover her real name from there. However, if she uses her real name in the credits, then the corresponding series entry should also follow that and display her real name. So, if she begins using her real name, then the entries should follow suit.
millebaci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
I disagree, or perhaps you don't understand what I mean. While I don't like the fact that her alias is listed (because of SAG laws and stuff that could really screw her, and other voice over actors who use aliases, over) I understand that it's a necessity. The way the database is laid out, they could still go to, say, Cowboy Bebop and click Melissa Charles, since that IS the way she's credited in the show; however, I think her entry in the Encyclopedia should be Melissa Fahn as her main name. I'm not asking for her aliases to not be listed at all, just not as her primary name... since that's not her real name.

Also, she doesn't just not use her real name because she feels like it, it's because most anime producers refuse to produce their shows as Screen Actor's Guild productions and that forces actors who are members of SAG to do their work under an assumed name. Melissa has in fact done work under her real name (Melissa Fahn) it just so happens that a majority of her work is under Melissa Charles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1