• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah! My Goddess TV's Offical air date

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Is January 6, 2005 at either 1:55AM or PM on TBS. I'm not sure about the time, wether or not its AM or PM, though. Just saw this on the official website
http://www.tbs.co.jp/megamisama/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote
With the premiere date in the future, there are 101 users have watched it along with 23 ratings. Rolling Eyes I was thinking about adding a note like "not to be confused with the OAV," but it would look really stupid when other anime with multiple formats (TV, OAV, movie, special, sequel, prequel, spinoff, adapted from, used to make, composed of, otherwise related, etc., etc.) don't have such remark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quote
Could some method be developed that would block voting before the air date? Or perhaps force the current votes for the TV series to the OVA.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
AniDB doesn't allow you to add a rating on a series that you haven't seen. Although I think it works essentially the same here.

I just got December's issue of NewType USA, and it has an extensive article about AIC and Ah! My Goddess. I will be adding a scan from the actual 1st episode here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
they're just now making a series of this? how did that happen?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
They've been working on it, they work on production for a few months before they start airing it. So back when they officially announced it in September, they showed the first episode. It was aired as a special on TV at that time.

v1cious wrote:
they're just now making a series of this? how did that happen?

A big reason why Goda waited so long to produce the TV series was because he was hesitant to work on a TV series due to the time required, and animation wasn't as advanced as it was now regarding the detail required in the goddess's hair.

[image remove -t]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
--Picture removed at request of NewType USA--

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

A big reason why Goda waited so long to produce the TV series was because he was hesitant to work on a TV series due to the time required, and animation wasn't as advanced as it was now regarding the detail required in the goddess's hair.
If that picture is from the TV series I can see he stopped worring about the hair and the facial features as well. To me the OVA had more detail than that. Rolling Eyes
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
No, the OVA was 10 years ago, no it didn't have more detail. To me it looks as though it is close to what the movie looks like.

Besides, I suggest you wait until it airs before you pass judgement.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Now, here are a couple of scans from the OVA's:
Are you still going to tell me the TV series is less detailed?

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Innotech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
looks the same to me man. I cant wait for this. I got that Newtype also and managed to fit the whole article into on page

[Image Removed -t, see post below]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The reason why I cropped it was I was focusing on the pictures I could have put the whole article if I wanted. Besides, if someone wants to read the article, they should buy the issue.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just been so long since I've seen "Belldandy first shows up" Keiichi but damned if he doesn't look a lot younger than he is in the manga.

Quite frankly, as it stands right now TV Belldandy looks just... incorrect. Maybe it's the fact that all the colors are so bright and vivid (wheras the OAV plainly had a softer more pastel look to it which has also dulled with time) but there's something in Bell's new design that takes away all of her womanly beauty and grace.

Maybe it's just a bad picture, and maybe it's one of Bell's more enthusiastic moments, but Bell and Kei have always stood out as a bit more mature than the average anime couple and that reflected in their looks as well as their thoughts (and sometimes actions).

And right now, it's not looking like this TV series is going to capture that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good, they are indeed starting over to make the story closer to the manga rather than trying to make everything fit in with the OVAs, which had lovely animation and character designs and are enjoyable enough on their own merits but where the characters were shallow versions of their manga counterparts whose introductions were rushed.

"Starting over" was my number one wish for the TV series. Not that I'm expecting the series to follow the manga panel-for-panel, or even chapter-for-chapter, since, if they did that, it would take a couple of seasons just to get to my favourite goddess, Peorth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The image posting in this thread was rather excessive, especially Innotech's scan of the entire Newtype USA article.

I received a complaint from Newtype, and given what was posted here, I honestly can't blame them.

If you want to post 1 or two copyrighted images here for discussion sake, that's fine, I'll permit you to do that, and I'll even defend your right to do so.

However doing anything that makes it possible for people to circumvent buying Newtype yet still gain the benefits of reading it (for example copying a full article) is a definite no no. Not only is it not allowed, it's wrong. Or at least that is my opinion given the fact that everyonce in a while I have to deal with other websites copying entire articles from ANN thereby depriving ANN of impressions and the advertising $ related to those impressions.

Kusanagi-sama, if you want to post two or three side by side images comparing the image quality of the TV series, OAV and Movie, please go right ahead, but make sure that 1) you only post enough to make your point, no more, and 2) you don't infringe on anyone's copyright other than the copyright of O My Goddess itself (ie: make sure nothing belonging to Newtype or any other magazine shows up in the images you post).

I'm not going to get into the technicalities of why that would be allowed at this point.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4