• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Details New Wii U Console for 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I sort of like it, but I need to know more about it. I'm just afraid it could end up not having strong support in the end from third parties. I'll wait before jumping in.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
My biggest complaint about handhelds is that they're not ergonomic and hard to hold, especially for a long time, even more so if you have big hands like me.

I know the Nintendo DS isn't as ergonomic as a controller, but I don't feel uncomfortable holding it. My problem with the Wii U tablet thing they're displaying is that it's so much more gigantic than a DS. I can see having it on a floor or table alongside you so you can access whatever functionality the touch screen will provide, but I hope that'd be in addition to a regular-sized controller that you'd actually be holding in your hands while playing. I just can't imagine holding that thing for the entirety of a typical gaming session.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So, I guess this is like a Portable Nintendo Wii?
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kind of sad how many people think this is a portable system, after he said it wasn't meant to leave the house.

I don't know if this is a reflection on Nintendo not doing a good job on stating it isn't a handheld, or just the plain idiocy of some people who can't read.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
They did it again going a whole new way instead of going along with every one else
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I... am not impressed. I was hoping Nintendo's attempt to appeal to the 'passionate' market again might mean less emphasis on a gimmick... so they pull out a great big gimmick. What's worse, it's been done- VMU, Pocketstation, GBA cable and PS3/PSP wireless connectivity come immedately to mind.

I'm mildy amused to see someone pointing out the trouble holding this thing for a big-handed person... as a small handed person, I can totally see myself fumbling this thing trying to stretch to hit all the buttons. I've had issues in the past with the Dreamcast controller and the 'Duke' on the original Xbox... this is just unappealing. Here's hoping they can put together a compelling case for games as we get closer to release day, or announce a smaller controller. (And maybe a new name. Wii U doesn't sound very good. Why not call it the 'Us' if you're going for that angle?)
jacksonart55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Repostin' the launch list, if any of you are interested.

LEGO City Stories
Darksiders II
A new Tekken game
Batman: Arkham City
An Assassin's Creed game, with multiple screens.
Ghost Recon: Online
Ninja Gaiden 3
Metro: Last Night
Madden and other EA Sports titles.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Battlefield 3

Source: http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86667/e3-2011-wii-u-games-announced/
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
They did it again going a whole new way instead of going along with every one else

Of course, it is Nintendo we are talking about. The company has be living and dying on it's first party support and unique takes on gaming for decades now.

That tablet-controller looks effin' huge and the D-Pad looks uncomfortable to me.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
hmmm, let's see typical cynicism from Nintendo doing their own thing, yup, this system is going to trounce its competitors
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay...there's nothing about this console that I strictly hate but I guess I'm just not seeing any reason I should actually want to buy it. It's basically Nintendo's PS3/360. Maybe that means it will be on par with those two but that only works if it's launching at the same time as those two, not years afterwards.

Right off the bat it's missing any 1st party support which has been the one minor draw of the Wii thus far and sure, I can get ports of current 3rd party games but I can already get those things on PS3 or 360 which I already own (and even if I didn't it would be cheaper to just get one at this point). Plus, while it may have 3rd party support now, will it still a couple years down the road when the next gen Playstation and Xbox come out? If I could buy this as an alternative to those next gen systems then maybe but for whatever this system does, I highly doubt it's going to be on par with the upcoming generation.

That's the problem with playing catch up in the console market as Nintendo is doing. At best they'll offer me what I already have for now and going forward find themselves outdated as soon as the competition introduces something new.

I honestly still would like to like Nintendo. They've certainly earned at least that from me in the past. However, I just don't see how they earn my future business with stuff like this.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
jacksonart55 wrote:
Repostin' the launch list, if any of you are interested.

Ninja Gaiden 3
Battlefield 3

Hmm, a definitely to-be-rated M game and a first-person shooter. How is it even possible for the Wii U to run Battlefield 3's Frostbite 2 engine? I sure would like to see some game play video for that.

Overall, the console just seems too "gimmicky" like the original Wii. There also is a big problem if a Mario game is not on the preliminary launch title list.

Before I go, I have to post this here just for the sheer comedic factor.
DSX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sold on this idea yet, but I think that a Fatal Frame game developed and released for it would easily sway me. Playing Fatal Frame with one of these would be AWESOME!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo has great 1st party support and dependable mascot games. However due to their innovations some of the 3rd party ports and options were limited. Simulation sport games on Nintendo consoles have been a pain in the ass to play ever since the GameCube.

Quote:
That's the problem with playing catch up in the console market as Nintendo is doing.

If the people with Wiis upgrade to the Wii U then Nintendo does not need to worry about attracting people that have preferred the Playstation or Xbox, considering the fact the Wii outsold those consoles.

The one that has been playing catch up with the console market has been Sony. If you want to talk about multi-media devices then Sony is probably ahead.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Argh my eyes...that controller is so damn unattractive to look at, I didn't think anyone could actually make a more uncomfortable looking contraption than Microsoft, but I guess Nintendo wasn't about to let someone take THAT away from them either.

The last thing Nintendo needed to do was pigeon hole more people into buying something they won't use after 3 months...of course given the "casual" market, they're probably going to do pretty well fiscally and take a bunch of heat on the tail end like they ALWAYS seem to do now.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Kind of sad how many people think this is a portable system, after he said it wasn't meant to leave the house.

I don't know if this is a reflection on Nintendo not doing a good job on stating it isn't a handheld, or just the plain idiocy of some people who can't read.

I imagine very few people watched the conference and just read ANN's quick summary of it which doesn't really cover everything that was shown.

I thought the Wii U looked pretty impressive anyways. I'm looking forward to its release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5