• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ace Attorney Games' Live-Action Film Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want to look forward to this, I'm reminded of Miike's horrible live action Yatterman.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
chrisb: Yeah, that too. The show was nothing to write home about, but at least it was short.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Wow, this will be terrible...

(Sorry, I just can't resist).

Unless you can see the future, you don't know that. And honestly, when I look at a game as quirky and weird as Phoenix Wright and a director as out there as Miike, I feel fairly certain that if nothing else this project won't be boring. Maybe it will end up being awful but chances are, at worst, it will be awful in a tremendously entertaining way.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
.... *reads the article again...* ... *and again, and again till she reads it a good four or five times*

... ok... maybe I'm hallucinating, but it says Takashi Miike - aka bloody violent movie dude who did such films as Audition, Ichi the Killer, and 13 Assassins... is directing the live action Phoenix Wright movie.

Did I read that right? Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? Because I... I don't trust my eyes right now.

I'm trying to imagine a live action Phoenix Wright film by Takashi Miike right now, and it's either one of the most awesome court room dramas of all time, or one of the most bizarre.

I'm assuming all you people automatically expecting a regular cheesy Japanese film have never ever seen a Takashi Miike film. I'm actually kind of worried. I need to go look up some of his less violent films now. He can do drama of that I'm sure, but camp? I just don't know. I feel like any camp from Takashi Miike is going to immediately followed by a knife right into my gut as punishment for laughing... and then it'll be twisted. Twisted a whole lot. And very very bloody.

I'll be afraid to laugh.

GATSU wrote:
This could either be a really fun movie, or a overpriced Youtube video gone wrong. Confused Plus I'm already not liking the casting on it. Wright is not a pretty boy, and Maya's not a gravure model. Mad Oh, and Edgeworth is not emo. Evil or Very Mad [Google their photos to see what I mean.]

Wright is TOTALLY a pretty boy, Edgworth is completely moody when it comes to Wright, and Maya has on occasion been turned into a gravure model via possessions. Come on, anyone who's played the games can totally see where the fanservice will come in with Maya.

Uhh you REALLY need to see his Yatterman movie. It was just a tad TOO weird for my tastes but the colorful zaniness of a Live Action Anime movie was done quite well, and I'd imagine it'll be like that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Like Akira is Japanese-style, Phoenix Wright is a Western-style game - more likely, an American court justice system. (Note: the Japanese court system is more like the British system and is definitely not like in Phoenix Wright.)

If they're gonna do this, they need to have American actors and actresses in the live-action film. Otherwise, they'll be doing to Phoenix Wright what Hollywood is doing to Akira. No double-standards! Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
.... *reads the article again...* ... *and again, and again till she reads it a good four or five times*

... ok... maybe I'm hallucinating, but it says Takashi Miike - aka bloody violent movie dude who did such films as Audition, Ichi the Killer, and 13 Assassins... is directing the live action Phoenix Wright movie.

He also directed this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromedia
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
@Enurtsol:

Um, I hope you were being sarcastic, because "Gyakuten Saiban" was a Japanese creation to begin with. Without it, there would be no Phoenix Wright. At all.

@Chowing:

"Who cares if it will suck?" People who have played the games, that's who. They want to see a Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney movie, not a generic courtroom drama with recognizable characters (camp elements or not). At this point though, and because courtroom dramas are so prolific, this movie could be either or. With this in mind, Japan isn't neceasarily that different from the U.S. when it comes to remakes (emphasis on necessarily).

Now the question is, once this movie comes out, will it licensed for U.S. release, or will there simply be an American recreation (and if it is the latter, will it be based on this movie, or directly on the games themselves)?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
This sounds kinda interesting! Very Happy Haven't seen any of the directors films, but if his style is zany and visually punchy then that would lend itself well to the series methinks. I wonder if they'll use the magatama in this film? Or are they planning a series of films? Guess we'll hafta wait and see.

Can anybody suggest any good Takashi Miike films that they liked/thought was good? Question
TwEeD

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Did I read that right? Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? Because I... I don't trust my eyes right now.

I'm trying to imagine a live action Phoenix Wright film by Takashi Miike right now, and it's either one of the most awesome court room dramas of all time, or one of the most bizarre.

I'm assuming all you people automatically expecting a regular cheesy Japanese film have never ever seen a Takashi Miike film. I'm actually kind of worried. I need to go look up some of his less violent films now. He can do drama of that I'm sure, but camp? I just don't know. I feel like any camp from Takashi Miike is going to immediately followed by a knife right into my gut as punishment for laughing... and then it'll be twisted. Twisted a whole lot. And very very bloody.

I'll be afraid to laugh.

He directed Salaryman Kintaro, Zebraman (1&2, this is quite camp), Yatterman, Sukiyaka Western Django, The Great Yokai War (a children's film), is finishing Ninja kids and has even directed 2 episodes of Ultraman Max

Takashi Miike wrote:
"Me, a 'Master of Horror'? I'm the guy that made 'Salaryman Kintarō'!"

Miike about his movie for the Masters of Horror series
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Thank you guys for the links. Sadly it looks like I'll have to download some of these movies since it appears only his horror stuff has legally made it over here.
Talon87

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The good news: they didn't cast Fujiwara Tatsuya as the leading role. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy okay in Battle Royale and I thought he actually did a very good job as Light in the Death Note films, but by the time Japan's Hollywood equivalent saw fit to cast him as Kaiji for the Kaiji live-action adaptation, I was like, "Really? Confused So, is he just Japan's go-to guy for live-action adaptations of anime franchises?" Would have been ridiculous had he been cast as either Wright or Edgeworth. So thank goodness for a fresh face in an anime ... well, video game-to-cinema adaptation!

The bad news: they cast Narimiya Hiroki as Phoenix Wright. Neutral Narimiya's fine in supporting roles but his over-exuberance in leading role positions has killed more than one J-drama experience for me, most notably the Honey & Clover TV series (Japanese version). (He's not listed on ANN, but he played Morita Shinobu in the Japanese TV version. See DramaWiki link here.)

The maybe not-so-bad news: I'm not familiar with the director but I am familiar with Narimiya, and it's possible that the two together will balance out somehow. Narimiya is often cast, be it in leading or supporting roles, as something of a "loveable goof" character type. I don't want Phoenix to be portrayed like this. Sad But! You guys are telling me that this director is known for being ridiculous dark, tight-laced, etc. Basically an anti-comedy director. Why on earth, then, would the two decide to work together? It's possible that the director wants to broaden his portfolio to include some lighter fare. (Lighter for him, that is.) Likewise, maybe Narimiya intends to show us that he can seriously act and not always be a frighteningly energetic character. And so the end result might actually be perfect. With the director soliciting the darkest or most serious takes but with Narimiya being an actor who is more than comfortable looking like a total ass on camera -- thereby facilitating the game-to-cinema adaptation of some of the game's campier Phoenix moments -- this might just work.

Only time will tell. But I'm feeling sliiiiiiiiiightly better about this story now that I've learned about the director than I had been when I discovered who was playing Phoenix. Thanks, ANN. Even if the happiness is fleeting. Laughing
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Like Akira is Japanese-style, Phoenix Wright is a Western-style game - more likely, an American court justice system. (Note: the Japanese court system is more like the British system and is definitely not like in Phoenix Wright.)

If they're gonna do this, they need to have American actors and actresses in the live-action film. Otherwise, they'll be doing to Phoenix Wright what Hollywood is doing to Akira. No double-standards! Laughing

....Except you're wrong because Phoenix Wright is a westernization (a good one at that) of Gyakuten Saiban (Turnabout Trial), so there's no double standard here. Certainly, it has a strong western influence, but it doesn't change the fact that the game takes place in a fictionalized Japan (whereas in Phoenix Wright it's somewhere in West USA if I recall correctly).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2