• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you choose what manga to buy?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
So how do people choose most of thier manga to buy? i undrestand that there might be different circumstances, but method do you offend use?

Some reason to consider:
-Do you buy manga from a particular artist/author.
-Do you buy it because it belong to a particular genre? (yaio, Shoujo, Shonen?).
-Do you buy it base on the cover and what you scan through
-Do you buy it based on your favorite anime or anime you're familar with?
-Do you buy it because of recommendation/hype from other or?
-Do you buy it based on good or interesting review (example: Right Turn Only).
-Do you buy because it's popular and a best seller.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I buy mine usually for:

-a particular artist/author.
-based on your favorite anime or anime you're familar with?
-based on good or interesting review (example: Right Turn Only).
- I buy it because I previously read it for free, and liked it.
Also, if it has gorgeous art, I'll buy it.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I usually do some research before going out and plunking my money down for something. ADV has a lot of "no name" titles and it's hard for me to "sample" something unknown than to latch onto something I know I like...say...Chrono Crusade. There are only a couple of series that I buy based on the author...Yu Watase, CLAMP, and Arina Tanemura are the only three I buy based solely on name. Otherwise, I go off of the amount of buzz I hear about it. Then again, aesthetics are there to sell, and I'm a sucker for pretty things.

However, the column kind of makes me buy/read things based on the release dates. :p
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I think I buy a lot of my manga blindly. I just look at the cover and read what it said in the back (or is it the front), so I guess I tend to avoid cover that have bad artwork.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
if i hear recommendations, or if im simply curious in a title, ill "sample" it, then if i like it, i buy it.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
I usually buy manga that has a style all it's own seperate from other manga. Not just in story, but in the character designs and drawing style. For instance, the neglected manga erotic-drama "Offered" features some of the most realistic character designs and shading that it almost looks like a real photo.
True_Knight_Blue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
I like manga with good artwork, sometimes read the back. But most of the manga I buy isnt as good as I thought it would be. I guess I should pick carefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
I usually check some info online about a manga before I buy it, or read scans if they're available. Also, if its in a publication I like I give it a go. For instance, I started Planetes because it was in Morning, which has alot of things I like. This is especially true with Afternoon or Big Comic Spirits. Also reviews are helpful for determining if I should buy things I normally don't read, such as shojo (I bought Hot Gimmick because of a RTO review, and I like it). And of course sometimes I buy things based on the cover. On a whim one day I saw Ai Yori Aoshi 1, and despite never hearing anything about it, was "attracted" enought by its cover to pick it up Wink Now I seem like a perv...
Yoshball

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
I have bought different manga series for two reasons. Either it was recommended strongly by a friend or reputable people online (ie, almost everyone on ANN recommending Nausicaa) or I buy manga to compare it to the anime I've seen because I'm curious or I've heard that one form is better than the other (thus my Berserk, Trigun, and Akira). I have yet to really stray from popular or well-known titles, probably because there is so much manga I want to read and I only started reading manga this summer.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:29 am Reply with quote
My first tendancy is to pick a manga by the cover art, thus breaking the first "book" commandment - thou shalt not judge a book by it's cover: what can I say, I'm a sucker for cover art. Then I flip through it for a general first impression, randomly reading the first few pages of each chapter. Then it's all gut instinct based on those; did it intrigue me.
A second habit is to look for manga related to anime I have (maybe just) seen. I like to compare story lines and prod my pet peeve about differences between the the two mediums; I'm about to start the Evangelion manga series because I just saw the box set anime (oh please tell me the chapters related to episodes 25-26 make sense!!).
Then last but not least, I'll eaves drop on posts here so as to glean info from other readers, or browse the manga reviews. That and the employees at the place I regularly buy my anime/manga at are more than willing to offer suggestions.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
I did try manga from anime I'd watched, but then I ended up prefering the anime when the storylines were similar, so I stopped trying that. I don't really pay attention to authors. I ignore the genres... I have titles from seemingly everything. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Before finding this site and realizing "Duh, I can find reviews & upcoming things on the computer..." I based my opinion off cover art, back summary, and a flip/skim of the manga. Now, it's mainly what I hear about the title. RTO is usually good at describing them. I just have to compare my tastes to the reviewer's tastes. See personally, I liked Megaman Vol. 1... and well, needless to say, RTO humorously complained about Vol. 3 (which I can only assume is in the same style as Vol. 1) two/three columns ago and dumped it in the recycle pile. But then I tend to like the kiddie-type shows. Probably for their adventuring and "Let's save the world with a bunch of our friends and our computer/game/animals/fill in the blank!" attitude. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Usually it is by the author I am familiar with, but for the other cases I rely on the reviews and casual reading to make my decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I usually buy it if it applies to a genre of books I like. Like if it is a samurai manga (Blade of the Immortal, Samurai Deeper Kyo) or comedy manga (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashii). Sometimes I buy manga based on the author, Like Ken Akamatsu's works usually make for a good read.
But now I just buy based on the price because i've been so broke lately Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tagarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, author and writers do have a big play in what I read, or choose to read.
The length of the series also effects my choice. And I am a sci-fi fantasy lover, so I tend to lean toward those titles (Many to choose from). The amount of fanservice is important too, if there is to much I wont buy it, dont like being bought by cheap laughs and panty/boob shots!
aoie_emesai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
My decisions would go with...

-Familiar author (ex. clamp, ken, gainax, and others)
-Story - Good non repetitive story (harem, are like this, quite often too)
-Characters (nice selection of personality and consistancy too)
-If There's Battles EZ CLEAR VIEW OF BATTLE (no sound affect every where) (tsubasa is a good example, hard to tell which is which)
-The Cover art rather attract (usually if there's a pretty girl Smile)
-Over all drawing ( not style ) ( i rather not like large Eyes )
-Ratings are rather good too (this lead me the wrong way 1 time)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4