• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wii's Successor Ships in 2012, Playable Demos at E3

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuichi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Next month isn't June, it's May Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder what this means for Skyward Sword. Will it still come out on the Wii, or will they remake it to come out on this new system?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I wonder what this means for Skyward Sword. Will it still come out on the Wii, or will they remake it to come out on this new system?

Oh, a six month or one year delay would be such a buzz kill if Skyward Sword were to follow the path of Twilight Princess. I doubt Nintendo would do that again since Project Cafe will be a much more different system than the Wii when compared to the gap between Gamecube and Wii. Also, Skyward Sword has to be close to being done so that should rule out retooling the game to make it a Cafe launch killer app.

I hope Nintendo sends off the Wii with a bang for North America. Mainly, I hope The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest 10, and any other games make it North American shores.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Hopefully I will actually want to buy this system. I never bought a Wii since it is such crap. There were a few games I regret not being able to play of course, like Smash Brothers, but in the end, I'm glad I didn't get one.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
I was worried Nintendo would pull the same thing they did with the Wii and just show us the console with no games, so it's cool that there'll be playable demos. Can't wait for E3.

It's just a shame the other two aren't showing their new consoles as well, last time they all did it at the same E3 it was really exciting Cool
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
Here is the English version of that PDF which ANN linked:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I was worried Nintendo would pull the same thing they did with the Wii and just show us the console with no games, so it's cool that there'll be playable demos. Can't wait for E3.

It's just a shame the other two aren't showing their new consoles as well, last time they all did it at the same E3 it was really exciting Cool

Sony and Microsoft aren't showing theirs because they don't need to yet their consoles are still being played, lol
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
The Nintendo Wii destroyed my local college anime club. Everyone sat around playing Smash Bros. instead of watching anime.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As much as I keep up with Nintendo I saw this coming miles away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
The whole philosophy behind the Wii was that innovation and gameplay are more important than graphics.

The philosophy behind Wii 2 seems to be "why can't we have both?"

This is going to be great.

Enner wrote:

I hope Nintendo sends off the Wii with a bang for North America. Mainly, I hope The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest 10, and any other games make it North American shores.

I really hope they translate Last Story, but this announcement makes me think they probably won't. Nintendo has a habit of ignoring its current console pretty much the instant they announce a new one. But maybe there will be a fan translation like a certain Tales game received...

As for Zelda, Nintendo hyped it as "Specifically designed for the Wii" and there's even a big wiimote in the HUD. Plus its development began years ago, probably before Wii 2's design was finalized. I doubt they will port it over. It'll probably end up being the last major Wii title instead.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
so is it going to be hackable like their last system? I mean honestly I only own 10 wii games total but it's nice having over 2000 roms/emulators to play lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so is it going to be hackable like their last system? I mean honestly I only own 10 wii games total but it's nice having over 2000 roms/emulators to play lol

Let's be honest: every system is hackable. I'm not saying it's okay to do, but I think it says a lot that Nintendo reportedly spent millions on copy protection for the 3DS, bragged to the press about how it was "hacker proof" and it got hacked within 24 hours of its release.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Let's be honest: every system is hackable. I'm not saying it's okay to do, but I think it says a lot that Nintendo reportedly spent millions on copy protection for the 3DS, bragged to the press about how it was "hacker proof" and it got hacked within 24 hours of its release.

....really oh dear god.. That's just funny, I only hack for home-brew and other things "via psp and wii" but that's just to funny. The only reason i stated it is because unless the Wii2 has some impressive games to play "carnival games and I Carly do not count" so what's the point lol?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Strangely enough, the Wii at our house has almost exclusively been used to play Brawl. It was the same for the Gamecube/Melee.

It's like the N64 came out and Nintendo had a golden era with that console's IP's (Goldeneye, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, etc.), and after that they figured they could never repeat the classic work they had done. Is it waxing nostalgic that makes me think that way, I wonder? I'm sure people feel the same way about the SNES, and it's amazing library of classic games. I was a little late into the game, so it was only after N64 that I became a cemented Nintendo fan through and through, but the past two consoles and their respective library of games have really got me thinking that...

TBH, both the Wii and the Gamecube were pretty much disappointments for me. Outside of the somewhat interesting motion controls, there weren't any legendary genre defining games (unless you think Wii Tennis counts... and of course there was Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime). Sure there were plenty of amusing games, but there just weren't many great, amazing, awe-inspiring classics. And since Nintendo hasn't had a very good history working with 3rd-party developers, and they've primarily focused on their own IP's (this is based on a Game Informer article I read recently), I imagine most studios won't pick up the slack for Nintendo and will be too focused developing for other consoles anyways.

If this pattern is any indication, I'm not very likely whatsoever to buy their next console, no matter the grandiose tech specs or platform-defying control schemes. To buy a $200-$400 console only to play 10 or so average-okay games, with maybe 1 or 2 really good ones on the side, seems like a waste. Especially when the only game I wind up playing consistently is Smash Bros. Razz
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Strangely enough, the Wii at our house has almost exclusively been used to play Brawl. It was the same for the Gamecube/Melee.

It's like the N64 came out and Nintendo had a golden era with that console's IP's (Goldeneye, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, etc.), and after that they figured they could never repeat the classic work they had done. Is it waxing nostalgic that makes me think that way, I wonder? I'm sure people feel the same way about the SNES, and it's amazing library of classic games. I was a little late into the game, so it was only after N64 that I became a cemented Nintendo fan through and through, but the past two consoles and their respective library of games have really got me thinking that...

TBH, both the Wii and the Gamecube were pretty much disappointments for me. Outside of the somewhat interesting motion controls, there weren't any legendary genre defining games (unless you think Wii Tennis counts... and of course there was Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime). Sure there were plenty of amusing games, but there just weren't many great, amazing, awe-inspiring classics. And since Nintendo hasn't had a very good history working with 3rd-party developers, and they've primarily focused on their own IP's (this is based on a Game Informer article I read recently), I imagine most studios won't pick up the slack for Nintendo and will be too focused developing for other consoles anyways.

If this pattern is any indication, I'm not very likely whatsoever to buy their next console, no matter the grandiose tech specs or platform-defying control schemes. To buy a $200-$400 console only to play 10 or so average-okay games seems like a waste. Especially when the only game I play consistently is Smash Bros. Razz[/i]

pretty much so but i have more of reason to be pissed, I sat in line for 12 damn hours to get the thing. The only game I have even replayed on my wii is "fragile dreams farwell to the moon, phantom brave, brawl and twilight princess."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3