• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What old school anime do you want to get your hands into?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dboypr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hi, in anime in general I'm more interested in old school anime. What do I classify as old school well it used to be from the 80's and back but since we just started a new decade I think is fair to include the 90's also. I believe that since not a lot of anime was made as it is now they put more heart into the older series and I find them more interesting. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy new anime but probably 1 out of 5 since they make like 10 new series a month. Well to start the topic I just purchase the Lupin the 3rd series which I was into but did not have the chance to watch it fully, Also I would really like to see a Gundam 0079 rerelease with japanese audio and decent subs. And I'm waiting to purchase Fist of the north star but I'm waiting for rightstuf to release all the series just so that they dont drop it at the half and leave me hanging just like VIZ did with prince of tennis which is a great series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd like to own all of Maison Ikkoku at some point. Unfortunately I dread scouring the internet once again to find some long forgotten and possibly outrageously expensive boxsets because they're out of print.

Also Bandai already announced their intention to release Mobile Suit Gundam bilingually earlier this year.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
Oho, yes, Kruszer, Maison Ikkoku would be a great one for re-release, I'll just be thankful I have all the manga in the meantime!

While Viz is at it, they could stand to re-release Key the Metal Idol too, now I've already got my copy, but a new generation could stand to watch it, and people who simply overlooked it the first time, came online and went "oh shiz, that's the anime I skipped over at the store when I shouldn't have?" then ran back to find no copies.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A good part of my collection is oldish anime. I have both Dirty Pair OVA and TV series now. Four season of the original Dragonball plus all 4 movies as well. All of Yu Yu Hausho.

Two sets of Fist of the North Star, Area 88 OVA, Slayers, A ton of Lupin the 3rd movies including Castle of Cagliostro, Akira, Outlaw Star, Demon City Shinjuku, Astro Boy, the Original Macross, Cyborg 009 movie, Dallos OVA, Macross Plus, Darkside Blues, and Giant Robo And other very old VHS tapes in my attic.

I Am starting my collection of Voltron and finishing of Dragonball hopefully soon. I am one of those fan that prefer my anime from the 70s,80s, and even 90's A small part collection that i do have are from the 2000's on.

Now that Dirty Pair has been released all I'm waiting for is the 3rd and final part of fist of the north star to be released and I will be very happy. I'm sure there are some other series or movies that are skipping my mind but I cant think of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll also throw in a vote for a Maison Ikkoku rerelease. I really enjoyed the manga, but some of the DVD box sets are getting too far out of my price range to justify purchasing.

I'd also like to see uncut Space Battleship Yamato. I don't want that edited Starblazers stuff. A new english dub would be great, but I would still buy it if it was sub-only as long as it gets a decent translation.
dboypr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah a forgot about maison ikkoku but im constantly reminded since i have the inuyasha and ranma box sets from Viz and they always show the trailer for maison. For dirty pair i'm waiting for the series to be completely released just like fist of the north star. Also i would like to see a full version of Saint Seya original Japanese audio.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
While I'm already into it, what I want to get my hands on is a complete collection of Gundam 0079. And not just dubbed either.

As for the rest of the old school stuff, most of the ones I like, I already have. In fact, Record of Lodoss War was my very first anime DVD, and I still love it to death today.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
While I'm already into it, what I want to get my hands on is a complete collection of Gundam 0079. And not just dubbed either.

As for the rest of the old school stuff, most of the ones I like, I already have. In fact, Record of Lodoss War was my very first anime DVD, and I still love it to death today.

Just curious as to what series of Lodoss war? If I remember correctly there was a series, 2 OVAs and a movie as well. As I am a fan of the TV series and some of the manga as well.

doubleO7 wrote:
I'll also throw in a vote for a Maison Ikkoku rerelease. I really enjoyed the manga, but some of the DVD box sets are getting too far out of my price range to justify purchasing.

I'd also like to see uncut Space Battleship Yamato. I don't want that edited Starblazers stuff. A new english dub would be great, but I would still buy it if it was sub-only as long as it gets a decent translation.

I love the whole Yamoto and Galaxy express sagas. I am currantly slowly watching Galaxy Express 999 on Crunchyroll and then continue with Captain Harlock as well on there. Then after that I have no idea how I'm going to get a hold of much else that Leiji Matsumoto amazing work that I just adore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
The two Galaxy Express 999 movies were what started my interest in anime, and they're just damn good movies all-around. My DVD collection just feels sorta barren without them, though I understand there's supposed to be a DVD release later this year. Is that true?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

Just curious as to what series of Lodoss war? If I remember correctly there was a series, 2 OVAs and a movie as well. As I am a fan of the TV series and some of the manga as well.

I didn't really bother to watch anything but the original 13-episode series, since I keep hearing nothing but terrible things about the rest.

Isn't like, Chronicles of the Heroic Knight Zac's ultimate bane?
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

I didn't really bother to watch anything but the original 13-episode series, since I keep hearing nothing but terrible things about the rest.

Funny thing is I remember watching it but I cant remember for the life of me what it was about. Maybe my mind just shut off to save myself from the horror that is, though then again I have seen some really awful anime too so who knows to be honest.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

It wasn't that bad. It also wasn't that good. I remember a fairly average fantasy series (with some weirdly off-model art here and there). It seems worse given the quality of the source material and the OAV. I thought it was worth for the Welcome to Lodoss Island shorts at the end of each episode... easily the best part of the series. Wink

As for old school series I'm interested in- I'd just go clear out all those VHS in my Amazon wish list. The Sanrio-produced movies (Unico, Ringing Bell) are what I'm most interested in. Anything that can combine ultra-cute with childhood-crushing mature themes interests me... yes, I am most interested in Ringing Bell specifically. Very Happy I know Unico's basically a big heap of sugar, but it's unicorn-flavored sugar. The My Little Pony obssessed little girl in me is curious.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The two Galaxy Express 999 movies were what started my interest in anime, and they're just damn good movies all-around. My DVD collection just feels sorta barren without them, though I understand there's supposed to be a DVD release later this year. Is that true?
Supposedly, yes, in June.
And a remastered Project A-ko in May, from the same people. Remastered is good, though I'll also be hanging on to the USMC "Collector's Series" edition for the Moriyama commentary.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku, and if i may put in a vote for cardcaptor sakura

All for reasonable prices of course

the most i ever paid for anime was sailor moon season 1 and 2 which cost me 300$ total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to say that I'm very keen to buy the Galaxy Express movies too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2