• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group C is now closed.

And, with 22 votes in, this Group has a tie for the second straight round. We also had a person coming in late for the second straight group. (Sorry, farichada, but you were a half-hour too late, as the rules say we cut off on time even if I don't post the closing post immediately.)

C-17: Kino makes a late comeback to catch Spoor, 11-11.
C-18: Medicine Seller eliminates Allen Schezar, 16-6.
C-19: The Count obliterates Yuuko Ichihara, 19-3.
C-20: Taichi Keaton pulls away from Wolfwood late, 13-9.
C-21: Akira Tokizawa handily beats Fee Carmichal, 16-6.
C-22: Roy Focker pulls away in his three-way against Rin and Kyouraku, 13-5-4.
C-23: November 11 slips by Utena Tenjou despite a late charge, 12-10.
C-24: Reinhard von Lohengram holds out against Roger Smith, 13-9.

This was a pretty lively round, all-in-all. C-17 tied, C-20 and C-23 weren't decided until late, and Reinhard could never greatly distance himself from Roger Smith. (He consistently had a 3-4 vote lead but never more than that.) One surprise for me was how easily Roy Focker won despite tying last round; apparently Kyoraku's presence affected Rin's support much more than Roy's. The other surprise was Yuuko's wipe-out, given how much support she had in the first round. This sets up some very interesting match-ups for next round, especially the C-25 three-way between Kino, Spoor, and Medicine Seller.

Also, don't forget to suggest video clips for next round; this will be especially important, I think, for Medicine Seller and Reinhard.

One other thing I feel I must mention: although you're free to interpret "cool" however you like, don't forget that this tournament is about how cool a character is and not how strong a character is - and I mean that in the strength of character sense, not the strength of arms. I don't consider those to be one and the same, and I think that may be influencing some voting choices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D: Mixed Group #2 is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Wow, does this one have some strong match-ups for this early! I am very much looking forward to arguments for Groups from D-20 on and hope that people will give special consideration to those matches when choosing which one(s) to make arguments about; at least two, and possibly all three, of the first three look like they may have blow-out potential. But I’ve been surprised at least once in every Round 2 Group so far, so we’ll see what happens.

Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise
vs.

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop

Group D-19
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Group D-20
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!
vs.
Alucard, Hellsing franchise

Group D-21
Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead

Group D-22
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Dark Schneider, Bastard!!

Group D-23
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!!
vs.
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye

Group D-24
Sebastien Michaelis, Black Butler
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Last edited by Key on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
vs.

I’m voting for Arsene Lupin mainly for negative reasons. Ladd Russo is a one-trait psychopath who is completely up himself and who talks way too much.

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Two characters from the same creators. Spike Spiegal for meta reasons. Cowboy Bebop changed anime. Samurai Champloo was an attempt to tweak a successful formula so, in my mind, it's always tainted with the hint of unoriginality. The characters in both series are a bunch of clowns, when all is said and done. Being a clown can be cool but in Samurai Champloo they come across as more clownish and less cool. And that includes Jin.

Group D-19
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Atsuka Chiba because Golgo seems way too robotic.

Group D-20
vs.

Alucard is powerful but boring (like most anime vampires) while Firo Prochainezo relies on his charm and wit. That's far cooler in my book.

Group D-21
vs.

Saeko Busujima

Group D-22
vs.

Motoko Kusanagi

Group D-23
vs.

Honoka because the supposed qualities of her opponent (hotheadedness and deep hatred) =/= cool, whether bad-ass or not.

Group D-24
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Sebastian Michaelis
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Really wasn't planning to stay up this late to write this up, but I feel some arguments in some matches must be put out early:

Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
vs.

Ladd is a pretty cool and bad-ass dude, but he is probably the weakest of the three Baccano! participants and is going up against a foe with a long-established tradition of cool. Lupin all the way here.

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.

No contest. Everything Jin does that's cool, Spike does better.

Group D-19
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Also should be no contest. I didn't think Paprika was worthy to advance to round 2 and she's up against anime's all-time bad-ass sniper. Don't stand behind Duke Togo if you value your life!

Group D-20
vs.

And this is where the dicey matches start. I wasn't sure how to call this one in the minigame, and I'm still not. Firo has a lot of merits - he's the one Baccano! character which makes it purely on General Cool merits, though he does also have some good fighting moves - but this is Alucard he's up against, who defined cool (as vampires go) for the 2000s. He's impressively bad-ass for competing on that front and has major style points with his attitude, choice of apparel, and simply the way he handles himself. He, moreso than Firo, deserves to advance here.

Group D-21
vs.

I know this one is going to be a hard sell, because despite claims to the contrary there are a lot of LoGH fans who play these tournaments, but I have to go with Saeko here. You can make all the comments you want about how Yang operates on a grander scale, but when Saeko steps into a fight, she dominates like no one else in her series can (or can even come close to, for that matter) and she has most of her series' most spectacular moves. That's worthy of another round.

Group D-22
vs.

Talking about a hard sell! Yet I have to try to do it. Motoko is unquestionably one of the premier female action stars in all of anime. She has the moves in both the physical and digital realms, she has attitude, she has authority, and she looks really sharp in her combat gear. And still I'm taking Dark Schneider over her. Why? Because when it comes to raw bad-assery, even Guts may not be able to stand against him. This is a character who at one point defeats a powerful fire spirit by overwhelming him with even more intense fire magic, on another occasion reconstitutes himself from an arm he let get blown off, isn't fazed by an assassin coming into his bedroom while he's naked, and in his greatest feat, spoiler[literally rips his own heart out to save a woman he cares about from a dastardly curse - and then later on resurrects himself.] Yes, he is (as the title suggests), a bastard, but this is one of the rare anime individuals whose supreme arrogance is matched by his ability.

Group D-23
vs.

Yet another tough sell, because I'm fairly certain more people have seen the former series than the latter. When it comes right down to it, though, what does Shizuo have going for him beyond tossing vending machines around and toughing out oodles of broken bones? Honoka outclasses him in both power and skill on the bad-ass front and is widely-respected and looked to as cool by the denizens of her series' setting. That should be enough for her to advance here.

Group D-24
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

This one I care less about, but it's still an interesting match-up because it presents totally contrasting styles. As lovably bad-ass at Kamina is, though, I favor Sebastien's smooth operator feel more.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
@Key:

If I may reply to this...the thing is, I believe those of us who sometimes prefer to vote for strong characters tend to think, more often than not, that their best accomplishments and other displays of "coolness" benefit from said strength, even above and beyond their real or alleged flaws and limitations. You're right in that they aren't one and the same but there is a certain relationship or correlation involved.

To make this even more relevant...I think, for instance, that the strategic and tactical skill necessary to defeat or outmaneuver scores of enemy commanders and their fleets -including Reinhard himself on more than one occasion- while keeping his composure makes Yang a lot cooler than Saeko's skill at, essentially, cutting down zombies with a sword with an occasional sadistic expression.

Yes, he doesn't have the most exciting personality or anything, if you want to go that route...but then again, unlike Saeko & co. Yang doesn't have to deal with lots of unnecessary and ridiculous fanservice either, which isn't exactly an inherently cool trait as far as I'm concerned in spite of her attitude during such scenes.

True story: I was actually typing my response before Key's votes were posted.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
vs.

Ladd Russo

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Spike Spiegel

Group D-19
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Atsuko Chiba/Paprika

Group D-20
vs.

Alucard

Group D-21
vs.

I haven’t seen enough convincing arguments for Saeko, and I voted against Lelouch because there is too much ridiculousness in Code Geass that prevented me from perceiving him as a cool character. As far as I know High School of the Dead has a lot of ridiculous fanservice, so my vote goes to the unbeatable commander Yang Wen Li, who accomplishes no mean feats that make other people hail him as a hero. He may not have an intense personality, but he has a sense of humour and sometimes makes cool and hilarious comments.

Group D-22
vs.

Motoko Kusanagi

Group D-23
vs.

Honoka Key's arguments.

Group D-24
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Sebastien Michaelis
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
Arsene Lupin

Group D-18
Spike Spiegel

Jin is simply outclassed here.

Group D-19
Duke Togo

Group D-20
Alucard

Firo is no slouch, but he's a bit too much of a typical bland and boring nice guy to match Alucards vast amounts style, attitude and sheer power.

Group D-21
Yang Wen Li

Previous arguments in Yang's favor have impressed me far more than those in Saeko's. And hey, you have to be pretty damn cool to beat Alberto.

Group D-22
Motoko Kusanagi

Sorry Key, but the Major's mix of authority, calm professionalism and near peerless skills in both the battlefield and the virtual realm still impress me more than Dark Schneider's supposed merits.

Group D-23
Shizuo Heiwajima

Group D-24
Kamina
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Group D-17 Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise
Now, this is a toughie, do I go for the psychotic killer or the guy will all the style in the world? Going with Lupin on this one.

Group D-18 Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
Oh that's right! Group D is the group of hard choices! Going with Spike on this one

Group D-19 Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika

Group D-20 Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!

Group D-21 Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes
He's not even doing what he wants to for a living but he's so damn cool about it anyway

Group D-22 Dark Schneider, Bastard!!
I like that Dark Schneider is pretty much a bastard

Group D-23 Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!!

Group D-24 Kamina, Gurren Lagann[/quote]
Gotta go with one of the most influential characters ever. Actually, that reminds me, why didn't anyone nominate the Squirtle Squad? Talk about a badass Squirtle
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
Voting for: Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise

Group D-18
Voting for: Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop

Reasons: I don't even really like Cowboy Bebop (I have decided I should watch it again, eventually) but it really is going to take someone big to take out Spike and I don't think Jin is even close to the one to do it.

Group D-19
Voting for: Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika

Group D-20
Voting for: Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!

Reasons: This one was the hard vote of the match because I have a passing familiarity with both series (no desire to expand on that for either though) and both characters leave a strong enough impression that I knew immediately who they were without having to look at the guide. And because one is more "cool" (at least the parts that I remember were) and one more "badass," it gets hard to really choose one over the other.

Finally decided to go with Firo because he's the type of cool I personally like better and because I think his guide entry is a bit better. This should be an interesting match to watch.

Group D-21
Voting for: Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Group D-22
Voting for: Dark Schneider, Bastard!!

Group D-23
Voting for: Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye

Group D-24
Voting for: Sebastien Michaelis, Black Butler
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Group D-17

Group D-18

Both of these character have Coolness about them but for me Spike wins because I perfer a more laid-back cool...which in other votes I may be a hypocrite about - oh well.

Group D-19

Group D-20

Group D-21

Group D-22

Group D-23

Sorry but a guy who throws things the minute he sees someone else just isn't Cool.

Group D-24

Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
vs.

Arsene Lupin.
Ladd Russo is a character who seems cool in the first two/three episodes he appears in. Then he just becomes a nuisance. At the beginning it seems there might be something interesting to him, but all in all; I dont even onsider himself as much badass as mentally unbalanced. his attitude seems to be result of some sort of brain damage rather than a personal choice.
Lupin on the other hand is cool and funny, always manages to get himself out of trouble. I appreciate his positive attitide and cheekiness.

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Spike
Sorry Jin, if it was a battle between Mugen and Spike, I might have gone for Mugen, but Jin is not good enough to compete with Spike here.

Group D-19
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Atsuko Chiba/Paprika

Group D-20
vs.

Firo Prochainezo

Group D-21
vs.

Saeko Busujima

Group D-22
vs.

Motoko Kusanagi
I personally did not like her as much as a character, but I could not hep secretly admiring her attitude and skill. Fearless, diabolically intelligent. There is an episode in the first season of SAC when she almost butchers a guy in an armor suit holding a massive gun, an episode I keep on comming back to very often. She might be a cyborg, but there is so much passion and persistence in her... No wonder she can easily command a squadron of some of the most skilled guys in their profession. She is the best among the best.
As for Dark Schneider... I have not seen the whole of Bastard yet, but if as was said before, so far Im not too impressed.

Group D-23
vs.

Shizuo Heiwajima

Group D-24
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann[/quote]

Sebastian Michaelis

Oh oh, can anyone tell me, if I ever manage to find a scene for a character Id like to submit, where do I add it?
Although I still haven't found what Im looking for, I am not giving up on finding the ultimate D scene...

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
PM ccdx with the episode number, minute/second the scene begins/end, and a short description of what happens.

Group D-17 Ladd Russo

Group D-18 Jin

Group D-19 Duke Togo

Group D-20 Alucard

Group D-21 Saeko Busujima
Hard to part with Yang, but I never thought he was that cool. Yes, he's composed, intelligent, and inspiring to those who get to know him, but he really lacks the impact required to go over an awesome character like Saeko who didn't panic and upheld her morals despite being surrounded by zombies and idiots. Probably not enough to justify, but just think of this as pacifist who only gives orders < on the field warrior who has the looks, skills, composure, and bullet dodging boobies.

Group D-22 Dark Schneider

Group D-23 Shizuo Heiwajima
Between Kenpachi and Honoka, who would you pick?

Group D-24 Kamina
AbyssalOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.

Lupin
While Ladd certainly has a certain coolness to him, his one-track sociopath profile can't compete with Lupin's suave spy persona.

Group D-18
Jin, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Spike
Sadly Jin is far outmatched here. Spike just radiates style and coolness.

Group D-19
vs.
Duke Togo, Golgo 13

Duke Togo

Group D-20
vs.

Alucard

I can't see how the most badass of all anime vampires can lose this one. An impeccable dresser with quite irreverent personality, Alucard is the victor.

Group D-21
vs.

Saeko

Group D-22
vs.

Dark Schneider
Everything about DS radiates cool. An arrogant, selfish, womanizing, self-aggrandizer with the power to back up his assertions. I don't Motoko should be able to compete with a guy that spoiler[rips out his heart, quite literally].

Group D-23
vs.

Honoka
I'm voting based on what others have said, for I have not seen the Third. Heiwajima is a flat enough character that I can vote for his opposition here.

Group D-24
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Kamina
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Well it's again time for the standard video clip suggestion post. I know this time it is fairly late, but better late than never??

So, if you feel strongly that you'd like to support a certain character and prove to everyone else that they are the most Badass/Cool and know of a scene in their respective series that reflects this, please PM me with the following information:

1. The character your suggesting a scene for.

2. The episode # and rough time index of the scene. (Ex. Episode 35, from 11:45 - 14:25)

3. The suggestion must be accompanied by a brief description of what is happening in the scene. So I need to know What is happening and if possible, Why it is happening.

4. Feel free to suggest as many clips as possible. Multiple suggestions for the same character are encouraged as every clip each round will be new, as the character moves on.

5. Anything goes. Any part of the series is acceptable. Spoilers be damned. Just be aware viewers of the clip that clips might or might not contain spoilers.

Please PM me ASAP with clip suggestions. Right now I am taking suggestions for all groups. Feel free to suggest scenes for characters in Group D as well. I'm taking suggestions for Group A up until this coming Sunday night.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Results!

And I'm a little too tired today to do any analysis of what happened other than to note that Wolfwood's loss to Keaton was quite the upset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 53