• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Front and rear cameras and a rear touch pad Sony continues to make swiss army knives with tools people will rarely use. It will be another Sony status symbol with a library that consists of ports that don't integrate all of the available bottle openers and corkscrews.

Ha, Ha nice metaphor! Like I said until the price is revealed I have no straightfoward opinion of it. If NGP/PSP 2 is $300, has backward compatibility to UMD PSP, then it will be quite a contendor against 3DS and may replace PS3 which could be abandoned. If its 350-450 then it will implode rather badly and Sony will leave the game hardware business not long after.

From what I've read, it's NOT backwards compatible with UMDs, which kinda ticks people off, including me. I just got a PSP in December and I have no less than 10 UMD games for it. And I do agree that there's NO WAY this thing is going to match the 3DS' price point, it'll be lucky to be ONLY$300 even if they initially sell it at a loss. The 3G connectivity also has me raising my brow because I dare say Sony is going to have to get into partnerships with a LOT of different phone companies for that to work. All I see is Sony trying the same, failed strategy they used with the PSP that made them the VERY distant runner up to Nintendo.

Then that's not a good sign, no UMD. That makes it harder for Sony to market it to PSP consumers. Like I said, Nintendo's flawless handheld execution come from thier experience,knowledge of handheld consumers, and careful marketing, doesn't Sony know that DS is BC with GBA? GBA is also compatible with GBC and GB. How do you release a handheld with no BC? It doesn't work for anyone.

Sony better not make the same mistakes they did with "PSP Go" or else there will be NO Playstation 4.
Okay, can you please stop with the "sky is falling" theories on Sony until we know specifics?

As for Backwards compatibly I got my PSP in August of last year and have 28 games for it, five on UMD and twenty-three that I downloaded. As long as I'm able to play my downloaded games(which I will be) I'll be fine with having to play my UMD games on the PSP3000. Nintedo's latest releases while very big hits are hardly "flawless", and as others noted Sony doesn't have to beat Nintendo in sales number to be successful (but I know they'd love to be on top).
Ronolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Nintendo is gonna stomp this thing into the ground just like they did the PSP. Sony just don't get it. GIVE UP!

nintendo is crap for kiddies, they did nothing to PSP - it was running for 7 years and just outdated. This NGP destroys anything nintendo has to offer.
Oooh, 3D - no [expletive] shit, if you're 13.

What? Um the Ds came out before the PSP and Nintendo utterly destroyed it. Nintendo is why video games are here no other company is moving forward with games like Nintendo is, Sony is just copying everyone. The PSP2 is nothing but a Ipad with buttons and like the link feature that it has, they stole that from Nintendo's 3DS with street and spot pass. There is NO originality to it nothing to push the future of gaming. There waiting for Nintendo, Microsoft and Apple to do that so they can follow.

What is wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with no Originality. Below is a motto for BASF. Please note, BASF has nothing to do with electronics or gaming.

I saw a commercial for BASF which was, "We at BASF don't make many of the products you buy. We make many of the products you buy better."
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Just for my sanity, guys, please don't respond to Mario or Segata Sanshiro over there. I'd rather this thread help alleviate misconceptions people have, rather than pointless arguing.

I've noticed that a few members have posted asking about a PlayStation Phone. This does not exist. There is a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Z1 Zeus headset that is floating around China. It just so happens to have a PlayStation themed button set, but it is not a PlayStation Phone, and the only reason it has been called that is due to poor state of video gaming and tech journalism. A respectful editor wouldn't have kept articles referring to a product they now knew wouldn't be called the PlayStation Phone as that. It's just really poor work.

However, this phone appears to be the centre piece of the first wave of announcements Sony made at this PlayStation Meeting in Tokyo prior to the NGP unveil. The PlayStation Suite. The PlayStation Suite is a virtual machine platform that'll be arriving on 2.3+ Android tablets, cellphones, and NGP later this year. This will be Sony providing content for the Android marketplace in a unique PlayStation Store and will feature PSone Classics, original games, and applications directly built for this. However, PlayStation Suite won't be limited to just Sony made devices. Any hardware maker can have their hardware tested for compatibility (both onscreen and physical buttons are supported) and license the PlayStation Suite store for their own devices. Sony is set to fully unveil PlayStation Suite sub-platform at a mobile conference in a few weeks.

malvarez1 wrote:
I just hope it plays video games, and not just downloads again. That would stink.

Like the UMD based PSP, it'll have both retail releases via game cards, and PSN releases.

I'm very pleased it'll be backwards compatible with PSN purchase software, as well as Comic Book software, which will greatly benefit from the OLED touchscreen.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Front and rear cameras and a rear touch pad Sony continues to make swiss army knives with tools people will rarely use. It will be another Sony status symbol with a library that consists of ports that don't integrate all of the available bottle openers and corkscrews.

Eh, this is not all that smart of a thing to say when every game Sony showed off displayed the unique features of the handheld:

Sony Game Reel

Uncharted Demonstration

Hot Shots Demonstration

Little Deviants Demonstration
torontoanimemeetup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
@ Mario1234567

Quote:
What? Um the Ds came out before the PSP and Nintendo utterly destroyed it. Nintendo is why video games are here no other company is moving forward with games like Nintendo is, Sony is just copying everyone. The PSP2 is nothing but a Ipad with buttons and like the link feature that it has, they stole that from Nintendo's 3DS with street and spot pass. There is NO originality to it nothing to push the future of gaming. There waiting for Nintendo, Microsoft and Apple to do that so they can follow.

Clearly reading your comments you are very Anti-Sony. That's fine. What bothered me the most is probably the fact that you made up ideas in your head about Sony to fuel you bias opinions and hatred.

the DS did destroy the PSP, but also iPod touch every other copycat from Apple and Microsoft. Sony sold 65 million PSP to date so in it's own rights it's still a very successful products. The PSP sold more then the copycat from Apple, the iPod touch. Apple only sold about 40 millions iPod Touch to date...

And yes Apple did copy DS and PSP for their iPod touch. You know how I know that? it's very easy, both DS and PSP was released in 2004 and the iPod touch was released in 2007. You get the picture now.

What did Sony copied from Microsoft? You accursed the PSP 2 of copying from Microsoft so let hear it? I could of swore Sony released the PSP back in 2004. Wait a minute Microsoft have a handhelding gaming device i dont' know about? Oh I forgot the Zune never copied the Walkman.

Could it be you're talking about EyeToy and the Kinect? Of course Sony copied Microsoft for their Eyetoy invention even though Sony released the EyeToy back in 2003 and Kinnect 2010..

As for Apple, if the PSP2 is nothing but a iPad with buttoms, so I'm guessing the iPad is nothing but a copycat of the PSP without buttoms?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Eh, this is not all that smart of a thing to say when every game Sony showed off displayed the unique features of the handheld:

lol@launch titles. I can wait until their game library grows before repeating myself if need be.
The idea of a touch pad on the bottom of the handheld is not all the smart.

It still looks like a better tech status symbol than handheld gaming system.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Why is there a comparison being made so strongly between the 3DS and the NGP? When I look at the two of them, I see two completely different systems going after completely different markets.
The 3DS doesn't appeal to me at all, but the NGP looks Freaking Sweet™.
Of course the 3DS will sell more. It will be cheaper, it will have more pansy-ass *cough, cough*, sorry, family games on it, and it will have "Nintendo" on it. I very much doubt Sony will be targeting their handheld to the same crowd that the 3DS is going to attract. Sony is going after the same audience that bought the PS3, the ones who want the newest tech, no matter the cost, and the best looking graphics. And I gotta say, finally having dual analog sticks... they have wooed me. This is a definite Day One purchase for me. Gotta start saving my pennies.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Just for my sanity, guys, please don't respond to Mario or Segata Sanshiro over there. I'd rather this thread help alleviate misconceptions people have, rather than pointless arguing.

Thank you.

Anyway, for those wondering about the usefulness of a back trackpad... let me take you back to the launch of the DS, and what people were saying.

Quote:

note: not actually copied from all those years ago
* It's got two screens. What use could anyone possibly have for two screens?
* It's got a stylus? WTF? If I wanted a PDA I would buy a PDA.
* It's just another GBA with a screen nobody will use.
* Why does a handheld need a mic. Just release a separate peripheral for the games that need it.
* It's good that they included a GBA slot, cause I don't see anyone actually developing for this.

People that were (adult) gamers at the time, back me up on this?

If you read articles from IGN or any other gaming site, they look back with rose-tinted glasses. "It was like the wild west of gaming all over again. The touch screen was an open book that anyone could write in!"

Fact is, nobody knew what to do with it. So I'm not too concerned about the PSP having a few extra bells and whistles, especially when they are being used by launch games.[/quote]
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, for those wondering about the usefulness of a back trackpad... let me take you back to the launch of the DS, and what people were saying.

I never said any of those things about a Nintendo product after N64. When information on the first gen DS launched most of the people I know chalked up the all the new ideas as innovations from Nintendo to pursue new gaming options. Gamers were curious as wth could be done with those extras.

The backtrack as you call it is not a new innovation, it is a touchpad on the back of the hardware. Gamers already know what can be done with touchpads, putting one on the backside of a handheld looks to be overrated and underused(a trademark of Sony "gaming" products).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

I never said any of those things about a Nintendo product after N64. When information on the first gen DS launched most of the people I know chalked up the all the new ideas as innovations from Nintendo to pursue new gaming options. Gamers were curious as wth could be done with those extras.

The backtrack as you call it is not a new innovation, it is a touchpad on the back of the hardware. Gamers already know what can be done with touchpads, putting one on the backside of a handheld looks to be overrated and underused(a trademark of Sony "gaming" products).

it's the Sixaxis all over again
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
@ArsenicSteel, I don't know who you talked to then. Nobody that I knew was talking about Nintendo's innovation back then. They saw the failure of the N64 (due mainly to the cartridge format), the... um... underperformance of the GameCube, due to its lack of 3rd-party support, and the GBA, a nice little system that had not caused awe at launch due to its lack of backlight (fixed with the SP), and was mainly a dumping ground for upgraded GB franchises, downgraded console franchises, and SNES ports, but not any "serious" games.

Things turned around for the GBA towards the end (much as they have been for the PSP these last 2 years), and right when it hit its peak, Nintendo released a bulky, ugly system with a whole bunch of gimmicky features. To show off how AMAZING this new system was, they released Metroid Prime: Hunters, which was just another downgraded console franchise. Seriously, if you remember the 1st wave of DS games, they were simply GBA titles that had the bare minimum of gimmicks so that they could be marketed as a DS game. It was actually not looking too good. Later, when DS hit its stride, it became an awesome system, but everyone seems to forget that first year when no one trusted Nintendo anymore and all of the games were crap.

EDIT: I feel I need to add this. DS has been one of my favorite systems of all times. I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying that at its release, nobody knew how great it was going to be. I can totally see that happening with the PSP2 (still refuse to call it the NGP). I see the specs, and all the stuff that they added, and I think that they have given developers a great sandbox to play in.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
hatereater wrote:
In other words, posts from console fanboys shouldn't have made one glad to give up console gaming, as one can just ignore those types of people and still enjoy their hobby.

Fanboyism was annoying but I didn't give up console gaming because of fanboyism, I gave it up because it just didn't appeal to me anymore commitment wise. I used to own a NES, SNES, and an Atari 2600 and was led to believe that they were the be all, end all of video gaming only to be proven wrong time and time again. The systems and cartridges wound up gathering dust in my basement and no longer appealed to me to come back to them because I just had better things to do. I traded in my old consoles to a game trading business in Winnipeg and have never regretted it since. However, I still like to read news about new innovations in gaming from time to time because it's technology and I always find technology a thing of interest.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Gamers already know what can be done with touchpads, putting one on the backside of a handheld looks to be overrated and underused(a trademark of Sony "gaming" products).
This doesn't even make any damn sense. How can something look overrated and underused, the latter being especially nonsensical seeing as we've only been shown a couple of games on the system(which actually seem to use it quite well).

Although I do have my worries about that pad on the back as well. Just hope they can get it to work well--gonna have to try it myself before making a judgment, though.

And FTR, if you wanna get on something being underused, we can look at the Wii. I mean, I love my Wii, but I'll be the first one to tell you that there aren't too many games out there that use its capabilities in new or creative ways. A shitload of them just figure they can make $ off of a hack and slash(which, in some cases, is sadly true).

BleuVII wrote:
@ArsenicSteel, I don't know who you talked to then. Nobody that I knew was talking about Nintendo's innovation back then. They saw the failure of the N64 (due mainly to the cartridge format), the... um... underperformance of the GameCube, due to its lack of 3rd-party support, and the GBA, a nice little system that had not caused awe at launch due to its lack of backlight (fixed with the SP), and was mainly a dumping ground for upgraded GB franchises, downgraded console franchises, and SNES ports, but not any "serious" games.
Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't forgotten all of those failures. In terms of systems quality, Nintendo has been pretty inconsistent(in the beginning, mainly, some of them, like the DS, tend to pick up eventually), and their game libraries are often lacking as well. Just like you, though, I still like Nintendo, but I'm not ignorant to their faults like others.

Quote:
I see the specs, and all the stuff that they added, and I think that they have given developers a great sandbox to play in.
I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
hatereater wrote:
In other words, posts from console fanboys shouldn't have made one glad to give up console gaming, as one can just ignore those types of people and still enjoy their hobby.

Fanboyism was annoying but I didn't give up console gaming because of fanboyism, I gave it up because it just didn't appeal to me anymore commitment wise. I used to own a NES, SNES, and an Atari 2600 and was led to believe that they were the be all, end all of video gaming only to be proven wrong time and time again. The systems and cartridges wound up gathering dust in my basement and no longer appealed to me to come back to them because I just had better things to do. I traded in my old consoles to a game trading business in Winnipeg and have never regretted it since. However, I still like to read news about new innovations in gaming from time to time because it's technology and I always find technology a thing of interest.

I see. First post made by you implied The Count to give an anime example, and I thought you didn't understand The Count, so I took a crack at interpretation. Thought the first post you did was because of fanboy fighting that you quit.

After looking at more features for the PSP, concerned for the rear touch screen. Putting the thing down and my hands will touch it based on past handhelds on how I grip it. Would be best to have an on and off function if they didn't address it already.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Primus"]Just for my sanity, guys, please don't respond to Mario or Segata Sanshiro over there. I'd rather this thread help alleviate misconceptions people have, rather than pointless arguing.

I've noticed that a few members have posted asking about a PlayStation Phone. This does not exist. There is a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Z1 Zeus headset that is floating around China. It just so happens to have a PlayStation themed button set, but it is not a PlayStation Phone, and the only reason it has been called that is due to poor state of video gaming and tech journalism. A respectful editor wouldn't have kept articles referring to a product they now knew wouldn't be called the PlayStation Phone as that. It's just really poor work.

However, this phone appears to be the centre piece of the first wave of announcements Sony made at this PlayStation Meeting in Tokyo prior to the NGP unveil. The PlayStation Suite. The PlayStation Suite is a virtual machine platform that'll be arriving on 2.3+ Android tablets, cellphones, and NGP later this year. This will be Sony providing content for the Android marketplace in a unique PlayStation Store and will feature PSone Classics, original games, and applications directly built for this. However, PlayStation Suite won't be limited to just Sony made devices. Any hardware maker can have their hardware tested for compatibility (both onscreen and physical buttons are supported) and license the PlayStation Suite store for their own devices. Sony is set to fully unveil PlayStation Suite sub-platform at a mobile conference in a few weeks.

malvarez1 wrote:
I just hope it plays video games, and not just downloads again. That would stink.

Why are you insulting me? What I said about handhelds is true. It could have a million features,but if its not affordable to consumers, they won't bite.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Right right 'cause when a gamer thinks innovation they think of Sony since the reuse and integration of every other tech on the planet into their be everything boxes bleeds 'innovation'.
Whenever I read people mention "serious" games I can't help but vision their view of "serious" is limited to playing soldier in the dirty back alleys of Al-Hasakah.

The question is not about the NGP selling because clearly Sony has established a market of people willing to buy gaming consoles that "Only Does Everything."

Quote:
This doesn't even make any damn sense. How can something look overrated and underused, the latter being especially nonsensical seeing as we've only been shown a couple of games on the system(which actually seem to use it quite well).

Wall climbing and other simple mini-games like free-throws and fieldgoal kicks could be done with the touchpad on the back. Oh I know it would be a great way to play musical instruments from any of those music timing mini-games from Activision.
Yeah we could look at the Wii for being underused but why not keep it within the realm of Sony and look at the GO or the disc space on PS3 games or the graphical power of the PS3 or the shelf space at retailers dedicated to the Sony gaming library.
Quote:

I see the specs, and all the stuff that they added, and I think that they have given developers a great sandbox to play in.

I heard that line before, 3rd party developers disagreed however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7