• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
You know I still spot several obvious bootlegs at Half Price Books.
I know that they use computers to see the "value" of a DVD, but shouldn't they see that they are not legit on there? Plus they have the info of the person that is selling the item (unless this is from some other store or from some sort of warehouse for cheap stuff?)

I used to point them out to the employees, but I usually don't really bother now.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I notice it too ALOT. On occasion, I really will see an actual Japanese version of an anime or game, but often it has the VERY obvious photocopying cover >_> Sadly enough, some of the bootleg packing looks not too shabby :/
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if its already common knowledge but just throwing it out there, iOffer is just as bad for bootlegs, so if you find a show you've never seen released before on there and or for cheap, I can almost guarentee 99% its a bootleg
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
And just what in the heck is one supposed to do when-say looking for box 8 of Maison Ikkoku and it's nearly impossible to find and when a copy is spotted the asking price is $599??!?!?! Simple-buy an hk R1 rip set which has boxes 7 & 8 on it for $18. My point is that sometimes you either get a "boot" or you don't get it at all.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
And just what in the heck is one supposed to do when-say looking for box 8 of Maison Ikkoku and it's nearly impossible to find and when a copy is spotted the asking price is $599??!?!?! Simple-buy an hk R1 rip set which has boxes 7 & 8 on it for $18. My point is that sometimes you either get a "boot" or you don't get it at all.

But by doing so you would "get what you paid for". Which would include the following:

A) Bad subs, or subs not appearing at all.
B) Bad quality or glitching/skipping in the middle of episodes.
C) Cheap looking boxsets/DVD cases that smell funny (at least I thought they did).
D) Audio being out of sync or not being loud enough to hear.
E) No DVD extras like the legit sets have.
F) Glitchy menus or scene selections.

In the end its not worth trying to cheap out on OOP items. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet if you want it badly enough. I had to save up to buy my Sailor Moon DVDs as they range from $30-$50 for a single volume. Was it worth spending that amount of money on them? To me, absolutely.

Better yet, if you are patient enough you could score good deals on sites like eBay for OOP DVDs. After Christmas is the best time to be looking for anime as barely anyone has extra money to spend after the Holidays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
My point is that sometimes you either get a "boot" or you don't get it at all.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't get an official English release, then it would be better to get fansubs instead of a bootleg, as at least nobody is getting money for a product that isn't theirs.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zrdb wrote:
My point is that sometimes you either get a "boot" or you don't get it at all.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't get an official English release, then it would be better to get fansubs instead of a bootleg, as at least nobody is getting money for a product that isn't theirs.
I agree. The reasoning being, the end result to the creators is the same ($0 gets back to them) but at least you're not also simultaneously supporting the bootleg industry (and whatever other less-"harmless" organized crime activities that bootlegging helps fund).

The only bootlegs I've gotten were of a couple K-dramas, back before I realized bootlegs even existed, and the subs were complete crap. I was completely new to Asian dramas at the time so I just sort of took it all in, poor grammar/strange phrasing and all, as part of the strange, wonderful world of foreign television because I didn't know better. Having seen many more series now I know that even the average fansub is much better than that. Bootlegs just generally aren't worth your time and money, no matter how cheap they are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to start an hkdvds are evil debate-I've gotten a lot of them earlier in my anime collecting career and saying that they all have "funny" subtitles and shitty packaging just isn't true. Lot's have better packaging than R1s and in a lot of cases the subs are just as good or better than us releases. My point is simply that there's no way I'm gonna pay an absurd amount for something that's either oop or so rare that sellers can get away with highway robbery if there's an hk of it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the topic of the ethics of piracy and bootlegging; such a discussion should really take place on the anime forum and not in this thread. The intent of this thread is to discuss how to spot bootlegs and where it is and is not safe to purchase and for consumer awareness. Ethics debates should really be taken elsewhere. Thanks.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been seeing an individual on a website called eBid.net selling a number of bootlegs, recently. In fact, it sadly appears that a lot of anime sold there is illegitimate.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really post on here, but I felt the need to bring this up.

So, Sears. They've suddenly got a ton of figurines for sale, but some of them definitely seem like bootlegs. I'd be a bit wary of purchasing from them. They've got stock images for some of them and even legit images for the Black Rock Shooter Nendoroid, but they have pictures of clearly bootlegged Death Note Nendos (which have a ton of bootlegs floating around). Does anyone know anything about this?
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
you know what. Im no longer afraid to come out with this.

I buy bootlegs from malaysia and I will continue to do so. Not because its cheaper, but because I dont want to wait 1-2 or [expletive] forever for the US to finally release the titles (I cant stand english dubs, so I dont care if the title just has english subs with Japanese voices). I buy them because more because Im impatient, not because Im cheap. I do however do buy the legal US copies of series that I like from the states when they come out, but by that time, I've already had my bootleg copy for a year+. I've also got a couple of series that I really like that probably will never come out in the states and Im glad I bought the bootleg edition. The bootleg editions that Im getting are a lot better including sound track CD, extras and the anime in its entirity as well as OVA. The only bad thing is that in Malaysia, they have censor laws, which is why Im rebuying them from the states because they are uncensored (Although I have a good collection of bootlegs, I compensate on buying the US copies if they come out wil if they ever will.) The series that I really like, which is most of my collection, Im waiting for the US release. Although its getting better and reasonable, I feel that some of the pricings are rediculous (Hayate vols are almost 40$. Buy, Im glad that I bought the bootlegs, I got it all and season two for only 80. Its ur fualt for pricing each vols around 25-40$ Bandai).

The point is, bootlegs is a solution because of circumstances that I have mentioned above. Although I agree its wrong to buy bootlegs, (yes I know the irony), its all circumstantial and whether you care about right or wrong to buy bootlegs.

Wanna spot a bootleg? Anything new worth less than 30$ is definatly a bootleg. Although, I wonder why IkkiTousen Dragon Destiny is 29.99. I've never seen something so new put that cheap before. Also, in malaysia, they put a holographic circle sticker on the package to show that its certified by the Malaysian censor board. Basically anything from Malaysia is bootleg. Dont let the Tin packaging fool you though. Its still a bootleg. The artwork is a bit pixilated and the CD is artwork is very pixilated. Also, when you put it in and go to episode, the real versions will show you the titles. The bootlegs dont and the artwork in the main menu and all the others seem to be wallpapers posted instead of something professionally made. Also, some of the most recent series are sold just a week after the series finishes airing in japan. Its just to quick, and for that, its a bootleg. Although nowadays, its starting to feel like anything that comes out of Asia is a bootleg because everything is region free which also violates copyright laws if thats correct. If you are against bootlegs, its probably best to avoid all of Asia except Japan and Taiwan. Taiwan has a massive anime industry and does a very good job dealing with piracy

Last edited by Starsplash Taiwan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:

I buy bootlegs from malaysia and I will continue to do so

I'm not trying to judge you but I'm just curious. What's the point of buying a bootleg if you can just make your own?
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:

I buy bootlegs from malaysia and I will continue to do so

I'm not trying to judge you but I'm just curious. What's the point of buying a bootleg if you can just make your own?

Actually... the Malaysian bootlegs are nicely packaged now. They come in a tin package with a real nice cover pic and also a soundtrack included which normally would cost you 40$. There are also some extras to such as OVAS. Also I like the physical copies. Yes you can make ur own, but I've actually tried recently and it didn't turn out that well.

I know ur not judging me, but Im sure some [insults removed] would come out and call me an asshole for buying bootlegs no matter what reason I put out there. Also, I forgot to mention that Im in Taiwan, not the US.

[Mod Edit: If you wish to disagree with others then you are expected to at least do so in a civil and respectful fashion. Using offensive and derogatory labels for the other side of the argument is not acceptable. - Keonyn]

Last edited by Starsplash Taiwan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
EDIT: in response to the bootlegger, but I'd rather not waste my time...

Last edited by luffypirate on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 33