• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Enough tsundere already!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
this "omg i like you so I have to punch you" bs is terrible
God, I couldn't agree more. I hate shit like that with a burning passion. What I'm waiting for is for a tsundere chick to hit a guy, only for the guy to come back and smack the **** out of her in return. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
poilk92 wrote:
this "omg i like you so I have to punch you" bs is terrible
God, I couldn't agree more. I hate shit like that with a burning passion. What I'm waiting for is for a tsundere chick to hit a guy, only for the guy to come back and smack the **** out of her in return. Laughing

Had close to that in High School of the Dead, people still had bitch fits. Some anime fans either don't know what they want or are to scared/ashamed to admit it.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@Sanosuke_Inara

While I support hitting women in any context (sarcasm) I can certainly understand why it doesn't happen in anime.

I just want to make it clear, this is not a discussion about love at first sight being realistic or not. That never even happened in Bakemongotari. Being attracted at first sight is what we are talking about and anyone who doesn't think that is real has a sad sad life
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
@Sanosuke_Inara

While I support hitting women in any context (sarcasm) I can certainly understand why it doesn't happen in anime.

I just want to make it clear, this is not a discussion about love at first sight being realistic or not. That never even happened in Bakemongotari. Being attracted at first sight is what we are talking about and anyone who doesn't think that is real has a sad sad life

I think we're splitting hairs here.

People don't always make sharp distinctions between romantic love, and lust. For a lot of folks, the two naturally go hand-in-hand, and hence attraction at first sight might as well be love at first sight.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Darth Joker wrote:
poilk92 wrote:
@Sanosuke_Inara

People don't always make sharp distinctions between romantic love, and lust. For a lot of folks, the two naturally go hand-in-hand, and hence attraction at first sight might as well be love at first sight.

um no, not at all those are two very very distinct ideas. If I am at a bar and see an attractive woman, that is not love at first sight.
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
Darth Joker wrote:
poilk92 wrote:
@Sanosuke_Inara

um no, not at all those are two very very distinct ideas. If I am at a bar and see an attractive woman, that is not love at first sight.

To you, they may be very distinct ideas.

Not to everybody.

I know some older people especially that don't really separate the two (romantic love and lust) from one another.

Frankly, I think that a lot of people who balk at the supposed lack of realism of love at first sight are just jealous of the idea that somebody might have enjoyed that when they didn't.

I myself haven't really had love at first sight, but some people might have.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
@Darth Joker

I don't understand what your point is no one was discussing this until you brought it up it might be my fault for getting sucked into your tangent but it really seems like derailment
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
@Darth Joker

I don't understand what your point is no one was discussing this until you brought it up it might be my fault for getting sucked into your tangent but it really seems like derailment

I'm not trying to derail anything.

I just don't see the point of trying to downplay Hitagi/Araragi's relationship as "attraction at first sight" as opposed to "love at first sight". Whichever you chalk it up to, they spoiler[do fall in love with each other pretty fast. It's more than just a sense of mutual physical attraction between the two of them, and it doesn't take very long at all to develop.]

I'll leave it here if you will.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I just want to put my boredum and lack of interest in this anime mainstay into type. Honestly does anyone like tsundere? Also are Japanese people so insane that this is actually how relationships work over there?

Not that this would honestly apply to every Japanese, but I think many of them would like tsundere character types and the interactions with their love interest in an anime because guys/girls find it simply cute and funny. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a lot of Japanese people watch anime the same way we do where we try to watch any anime show premiering each season and then soon get tired of seeing the same themes over and over again after a while. If they're watching a channel and then stumble upon a show with a character and a tsundere personality happens to be there, they may not think as likely, "oh great, this is the same type of show I saw last season" as we might do.

That being said, I like tusndere types as long as there's more to the personality than what to be expected of the tsundere traits. Otherwise, it becomes one-note. It doesn't really matter to me whether the romance between the tsundere character and his/her love interest is quick or slow-paced. I'm just interested if there's more to the character than a) turn away with pouty lips and closed eyes while blushing and then say "i-i-it's not as if..." and b) have a nasty attitude as a way of putting up a front.

I would like to see more than one perspective, even a few minor, interesting traits about the character I would never expect like the girl a finds parrots to be cute or secretly likes wrestling for some reason. Or if there's a valid, unique reason the character is being a tsundere other than for the sake of being a tsundere. It helps the character seem more well-rounded. For example, one of the traits about Taiga from Toradora that I genuinely liked is that spoiler[she gets giddy about Christmas and the spirit of it to the extent where she honestly thinks Santa Claus is real. It made me admire the fact she acts like a kid at heart.]

It has gotten to the point though where on top of tsundere personalities being more stereotypical and fans pointing it in so many shows that a certain character is tsundere, even the show itself is self-aware of when a character is tsundere or is behaving that way. I remember just out of curiousity watching a recent episode of Fairy Tail where spoiler[Lucy was sitting on a couch with some host club male and serving drinks while looking away with a pouty expression saying, "it's not as if I did this for you or anything." And immediately, Lucy says, "now he's acting all tsundere!"] Unless jokes like that are somehow (it's hard for me to describe how) executed better, then I can't even laugh at that.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:

What are you talking about? It happens all the time in anime. Ever heard of "bright slap"? It works on women too.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I really like the history lesson on tsundere. NGE started every other cliche that annoys me in anime so why not add another to the list.

Who in NGE is tsundere?
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
@Hypeathon

You make an interesting point. Alot of Japanese viewers probably don't see every episode in order like we do unless they are really into the show. Because of that dragging out the tsunedre allows them to keep the character of the anime for people who just stumble upon it mid season.

Its always nice to have multidimensional characters but a lack of development really bothers me. Ideally a character would have both but they should at least have one or the other

@Dorcas_Aurelia

Really?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Who in NGE is tsundere?

You're kidding, right?

Three words: Asuka Langley Sohryu.

She repeatedly made fun of Shinji, insulted him and belittled him, even as she was craving his affection. Sounds like Tsundere to me.

Whether NGE started the Tsundere phenomenon is debatable because many of the older characters are not as nakedly Tsundere as modern incarnations. However, even if it wasn't the first show with Tsundere it seems apparent that it popularised the concept (on at least the North American side of the Pacific).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, really. It's not Rei, because she has no personality. It's not Asuka, because she doesn't exhibit dislike for Kaji or any attraction to Shinji, and to be a tsundere, one has to display both traits towards a single subject. It's not Misato, unless I'm forgetting that she initially hated Kaji. It's not Ritsuko, because she doesn't get emotionally attached to any of the male characters in that way. I'm pretty sure it's none of the minor or male characters. So who?
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yes, really. It's not Rei, because she has no personality. It's not Asuka, because she doesn't exhibit dislike for Kaji or any attraction to Shinji, and to be a tsundere, one has to display both traits towards a single subject. It's not Misato, unless I'm forgetting that she initially hated Kaji. It's not Ritsuko, because she doesn't get emotionally attached to any of the male characters in that way. I'm pretty sure it's none of the minor or male characters. So who?

Asuka shows no attraction to Shinji? Shocked

spoiler[Asuka flatout kissed Shinji, IIRC] [/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7