• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in Korea

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:14 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering, if any of you are familiar with the situation in Korea, is anime easily available there? I mean, anime DVDs for sale rather than shown on TV. Because I'm going to Korea for a couple of days in mid October. I'd like to go shopping for anime and other stuff I can't find in Singapore.

In any case, it doesn't really matter 'cos the tickets have been booked and I'll be on my way regardless. But I'd just like to know, and hopefully if anime is widely available, I can look forward to the trip rather than just think of it as being a drag 'cos it was my wife's plan to go to Korea anyway. I had wanted to go to Japan instead but the wife has the say this year. Sad
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote
I have heard from friends (non military) who have lived there, retail prices are cheap. Therefore I suspect that the prices of anime are also cheap.
Also, it is in the same region as you so it probably has a lot of the same stuff avaibile but with less strict (but still present) censorship laws. But this is from a U.S. pespective.
Also, it is an enjoyable country in it's own right that hasn't been paved over nearly as much as Japan. I suspect your wife has good taste (she's with you, right).

All the best,

Nani?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I think that Korea hasn't had tade with Japan until very recently. I'm sure that probably effects the anime situation a lot.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses guys.

Nani? wrote:
I have heard from friends (non military) who have lived there, retail prices are cheap. Therefore I suspect that the prices of anime are also cheap.

I know that things are real cheap there. But I've heard that Koreans are very strongly nationalistic (like the Japanese), which made me think, will anime be popular there. If not, it'll probably be difficult to find anime on sale there.

Nani? wrote:
Also, it is in the same region as you so it probably has a lot of the same stuff avaibile but with less strict (but still present) censorship laws. But this is from a U.S. pespective.

I'm not so much worried about censorship. Really, even in Singapore, most anime don't get censored, they just get a PG rating and pass uncensored. Most anime don't contain remarks that slander the Singapore government so they get passed without censorship. It's only the privately imported anime that somehow attract the wrong attention and get confiscated (even when the same version imported for sale gets passed without problems). I really don't know why.

Nani? wrote:
Also, it is an enjoyable country in it's own right that hasn't been paved over nearly as much as Japan. I suspect your wife has good taste (she's with you, right).

All the best,

Nani?

Well, yes she does have pretty good taste. If "she's with you" means she's sitting next to me now reading your post, she's not so don't worry. Laughing

Problem is my life, other than the usual work and sleep and looking after the kid, mainly revolves around anime and looking for anime. I don't usually go abroad for leisure. The last time I was in OZ was 'cos my gramps was ill and I had to go see him. Well, if the wife likes to go to Korea, so be it. It matters not where I go really. I'm sure it's a nice place too.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:21 am Reply with quote
[quote="Ken Hayashi"]

I know that things are real cheap there. But I've heard that Koreans are very strongly nationalistic (like the Japanese), which made me think, will anime be popular there. If not, it'll probably be difficult to find anime on sale there.
[quote]

Well, the S. Koreans are in a lot of ways like the Japanese. The dirty secret of South Korea in fact is that the "founding fathers" and business leaders were mostly collaborators with the Japanese occupation who would have cheerfully stayed collaborators but for the end of WW2.
That said, they modeled a lot of what their modernization off Japan. There is still a some hatred, as the older generation dies off, and Japanese popular culture influences the young, a lot of that hatred is vanishing. I understand is that Anime is big part of that. That said, I suspect you'll be able to find some good stuff. Wink

All the best,

Nani?
absdisc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
解って無いね.何も.従業が足りないわい.そんなレベルでアニメ好きだとか,アニメにゾッコンだとか言わせたくないね.反省して得行すべし!

韓国ではな,店で買うよりネットで下ろすの方が優先されてるねん.日本で新作が出るとな,例えばとあるアニメがTVで放映されたら1週間以内にネットでダウンロードが可能なのが韓国やねん.だから,高い金払ってDVDとか出るの待たなくても済む訳.最新のアニメを一番早く見れる国って日本以外は世界何処見ても韓国しかない.しかも字幕付きでな.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

Welcome to ANN, but since you are a translator, how about give us some English translation so we can learn some Japanese as well, absdisc?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
関西弁じゃん。absdiscさん、英語を話せますか?話せなかったら、せめて東京弁で喋ってください。私は英語に訳してあげる。

I don't speak Kansai-ben, but I know some of the grammar he used, so here goes...

Quote:
You don't really get it at all. Employment isn't sufficient. I wouldn't say that you have that deep a level of liking anime, then. Consider this! In South Korea, you can download anime off the net before you can buy it in stores. A new anime production in Japan will come out, and within a week it will be available for download in South Korea. So, it means that people don't want to wait for high-priced DVDs. Japan isn't the only country that wants to see new anime quickly, nor even South Korea; the whole world wants to see them.. but with subtitles.

Or thereabouts.. Like I said, it was a bit more confusing than I'd like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys and gals. Looking forward to the trip now, anime or not. Packing some empty bags along, just in case. Laughing
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
When I was there about 2 to 3 years, most of the anime that I could find was mostly in Seoul/Yongsan area, but there was mostly bootlegs DVDs and VCDs, but oddly enough I did see some Reigon 1 DVDs (around $50 for the Kenshin movie.) This falls mostly under buyer beware type of thing. But atleast they have tons of figures, wallscrolls, and other goodies for sell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
absdisc wrote:
Consider this! In South Korea, you can download anime off the net before you can buy it in stores. A new anime production in Japan will come out, and within a week it will be available for download in South Korea. So, it means that people don't want to wait for high-priced DVDs. Japan isn't the only country that wants to see new anime quickly, nor even South Korea; the whole world wants to see them.. but with subtitles.

Actually, if it's available online, technically, it's available worldwide, not just in Korea.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
When I was there about 2 to 3 years, most of the anime that I could find was mostly in Seoul/Yongsan area, but there was mostly bootlegs DVDs and VCDs, but oddly enough I did see some Reigon 1 DVDs (around $50 for the Kenshin movie.) This falls mostly under buyer beware type of thing. But atleast they have tons of figures, wallscrolls, and other goodies for sell

I'll be around that area. Staying at Muju Resort. I'm not that interested in figures and collectibles. If I can't find licensed anime, then there's no point in me buying them, especially since I can find good quality boots here in Singapore too. I'm looking for stuff I can't find in Singapore, and preferably licensed stuff.

I'll keep you guys updated when I get back on 17 Oct.
dio_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
>>absdisc

You are not Japanese but Korean aren`t you?

No Japanese speak like you,,,

Can you all stop pretending to be Japanese and starting fight against the others,,,
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
i know Wonderful Days is a korean-produced animation.

i dunno, maybe you'd like to check the price of that to compare it to japanese animation?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ええ、その方は韓国人だが、オピニオンを書いて来た。喧嘩するつもりかもしれません。
このスレは古いだが、dio_様はどう思う?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2