• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need good anime recommendations [romantic anime]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SparK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so sorry if I broke any rules Embarassed...
I have a small question:
I just finished watching Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, and I was really impressed by it. Everyone should definetely watch it. Just before that I also watched the whole GTO series and I liked most the 40th (or is it?) episode with the little story that goes on between Uehara and Yoshikawa.
Anyway I come to the point: could you guys recommend me some good animes that involve romance and drama. However, they should be pretty realistic (like KgNE) but at the same time a little comic (but not too much like GTO). By comic I mean that the characters don't exately know what to do and such...
Any recommandations?

[Edit: adjusted topic -L]
Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
neon genisis evangelion, rahxephon, azumanga diaoh, cowboy bebop are just a couple animes that are really good. I also like the chobits anime but if your buying the dvds I would say just buy the manga(which is also pretty good) since it would save you a couple of bucks Smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
i really dont like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (or most romance for that matter), but you should check out His and Her Circumstances. this is a romance/comedy that has pretty realistic relationships/characters and is very funny. its not as dramatic or angsty as Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, but it still has a maturity that most romance animes lack. if you like GTO golden boy may be a good choice, as it involves a perverted loser trying to get laid, and is quite funny.
i dont think NGE and RahXephon (or Azumanga for that matter) fit what spark is looking for. Chobits is romance, but it is very diffrent from Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes, definitely check out His and Her Circumstances, though I'd recommend the manga over the anime as the anime leaves the story hanging after its run.

You might also want to look up To Heart, Wind, Ah! My Goddess and Kanon. They're all pretty solid. Koi Kaze was also a good romance anime, but for all the wrong reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8236

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7804

Last edited by lianncoop on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
(never mind)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
You have to check out His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano). I think it's the only anime centered around romance that I have really enjoyed.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
(never mind)

Why did you get rid of your suggestions?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
dormcat wrote:
(never mind)

Why did you get rid of your suggestions?

I thought you were about to lock the thread since there has been similar threads. Confused

Well, as told by Iron Chef, KoiKaze is the best melancholic drama in recent years (even better than Kimi ga Nozomu Eien IMHO), but beware of taboo materials. If you don't mind a little bit of sci-fi element (SparK you want realistic story right?), Onegai (Please!) series are all good, with what I called goody-goody fan service (blend in the story rather naturally; no criminal-like behavior e.g. Peeping Tom). Movie lovers should not miss three romantic drama by Studio Ghibli: Ocean Waves (I Can Hear The Sea), Porco Rosso, and Whisper of the Heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quote
There is many romance titles out there and since I love romance most I also watched many titles in recent years. The best I ever watched would be "Maison Ikkoku" that's romance -comedy. It's very realistic and all 96 episodes will get you hooked like drugs. hehe. Ok and second best romance-comedy would be "Video Girl AI". There are few other titles but those two are must see. Check out these links here and read final coments:

Maison Ikkoku:

animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=237

If you are too lazy to read or afraid to have things spoiled then just read this ..."quote"

"Rumiko Takahashi is a true master when it comes to the romantic drama. Maison Ikkoku is very different than some of her other popular works, but holds its own in popularity. Despite its age, Maison Ikkoku remains a must-see series for fans of true romantic comedies"

And Video Girl AI:

animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=108

"quote"- No spilers

" This is by far one of the best stories ever put to animation."

"Video Girl Ai is one of the most well-done, best-presented anime ever made."

"For those who don't know the story, it goes like this: Yota Moteuchi (often misread "Motenai", meaning "Dateless") is a really really nice guy... so nice, in fact, that instead of stewing in his own juices after the love of his life Moemi confesses love to his best friend Takashi, he's feeling sorry for Moemi's having been shot down. But inside, his own heart is breaking."

You can buy Video Girl AI for pretty cheap but Maison Ikkoku is pretty hard to find. If you need any help with finding those two masterpieces I'll help you. Just PM me Smile

Fuu
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
You can buy Video Girl AI for pretty cheap but Maison Ikkoku is pretty hard to find.

They are both available from Viz. Strange, I have never seen Video Girl Ai in any physical store, but Maison Ikkoku is always readily available at any Best Buy. Confused
TF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote
onegai teacher is good if ou like humor combined with romance

SaiKano might be your thing when you like drama and romance
Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quote
Well, you could always..try Love Hina..I liked that. But that's just me. It's a romantic comedy. And the characters don't really know what to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
MasterFuu wrote:
You can buy Video Girl AI for pretty cheap but Maison Ikkoku is pretty hard to find.

They are both available from Viz. Strange, I have never seen Video Girl Ai in any physical store, but Maison Ikkoku is always readily available at any Best Buy. Confused

LOL. Quite the opposite here. I've seen VIDEO GIRL AI few times in different stores where I live but NEVER Maison Ikkoku.

Yo cat, u know by any chance how much are they asking in Best Buy for the DVD set of Maison Ikkoku? (too lazy to do the research myself)
thanks
SparK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
thanks for all the cool recomendations!
I just finished seeing Saikano, damn that was intense, almost made me cry! I also started watching Kare Kano too but I'm not really enjoying it much, a bit too childish: I can't believe that they are in high school, it looks more like early middle school for me... In fact I was thinking of a more 'mature' relationship but also involving dramatic elements (like Saikano... Well not THAT dramatic but you know....). I heard that 'Chobits' was pretty good.
And are there other anime that would fit into that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3