• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew when Sailor Moon was going to be back on in the USA.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Most likely not for a few months. Cartoon Network plays the ratings game with Sailor Moon a lot. They rerun the series a few times then take it off the air before the ratings drop. (How many times can you watch it over and over?) Then they wait a few months for the demand to come back full swing and they put it back on air.

So, while CN will play the movies once in awhile, it'll definitely be a few more months before the series is back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
anime uncut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:36 pm Reply with quote
You can see it on the WB's "Toonami" in various timezones.
It may also be on UPN in the morning.
Sailor Sun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:10 am Reply with quote
Ok do u know what time zones.
Case

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:37 am Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, it isn't a matter of time zones. There aren't any major networks airing the show right now, and that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Some local affiliates are airing it, but those are few and far between. Sailor Moon isn't actually on UPN or WB or FOX, it's on certain local stations that air those networks' programming part of the time.

Check your local newspaper TV listings/cable guide/whatever. If you can't find it there, it probably isn't showing in your area.
Sailor Sun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:34 pm Reply with quote
hey all.so sm probibly wont be on any time soon.that sux.I've waited so long to see the stars episodes. :lol: i hate cartoom network.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It's highly unlikely that Stars will ever be shown on US TV. First off, the content is too controversial for US audiences. Second, the Japanese company (who's name escapes me at the moment) refuses to sell the licensing rights to any US company because they believe that Stars will ruin the reputation Sailor Moon has in the US. (And I completely agree...the mainstream Sailor Moon audience would freak at Stars.)

So...you've pretty much seen all you're gonna see aired on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Sailor Moon Stars was coming to DVD, if so maybe Cartoon-Network would run Sailor Moon Stars on adult Swim?. Idea
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:35 am Reply with quote
Nope. Stars still hasn't been licensed. Therefore, no US DVDs.

And Stars would never make it to Adult Swim either. They'd still have to heavily edit it.
Case

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:53 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Nope. Stars still hasn't been licensed. Therefore, no US DVDs.

And Stars would never make it to Adult Swim either. They'd still have to heavily edit it.

I don't think Sailor Moon (any season) will ever be aired on Adult Swim either, but not because of editing problems. The actual animation of the Starlights' transformation is not graphic by any definition, and the nudity in the last episode could be painted over using the same methods Bandai used in Pilot Candidate to clothe the girl in the light that appeared to Zero inside Eva Reena's cockpit. The nude forms of Nehelenia's mirror peredories would probably not need to be edited, just as Princess Snow Kaguya's snow dancers were not edited for the televised version of the Sailor Moon S movie. The violence and serious tone are in line with Adult Swim's purpose.

Other than that, what really needs editing? I can't think of anything major, and I own that whole season on VHS.

I think the thing that would really keep Sailorstars from being aired in Adult Swim is the reputation Sailor Moon has built up in this country over the years. Most Americans consider Sailor Moon to be an all-ages cartoon not unlike Pokemon, and that could potentially cause a two-fold problem: 1) The older audience that is supposed to watch Adult Swim won't be interested in Sailor Moon and won't watch, and 2) the younger kids who have come to love Sailor Moon (5-8 year olds, perhaps) will want to watch the new season, which would probably result in an explosion of upset parents besides the fact that they really weren't meant to watch it in the first place.

If that wasn't the case, I think Sailorstars would be a great bid for Adult Swim. But since that is the case, I am extremely doubtful that it will ever be aired there.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:48 pm Reply with quote
AAAAHHHHH!!!

-Zac
DragonZero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I have another question or three ^^

Does anyone know when SM & SMR in Japanese and English version are coming out? Very Happy . Anyone know a good manga updates site?. Or know where you can get SM-Stars (Japanese version W/Subtitles) VHS or DVD?.

sailormech: your right Crying or Very sad but, maybe, just maybe somebody/adult swim will chance it, *Sigh*, but we can hope, Neutral right?.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:32 pm Reply with quote
*buzz* wrong. (And since Zac HATES this question, I'll gladly take up the slack.)

In Stars, the MAIN problem is that the Starlights "disguise" themselves as men during the day...then they transform into women to fight. The nudity (as seen in Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo) is easily fixed, so that doesn't really count as a problem in my eyes.

As for the other seasons of Sailor Moon? There really isn't anything to push it up to Adult Swim status. Unlike Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop which has 'gun violence', it's not seen on the same level as 'magical violence.' Meaning: It's OK to destroy someone with your magic wand, It's NOT OK to shoot them with your uzi.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:37 pm Reply with quote
DragonZero wrote:

I have another question or three ^^

Does anyone know when SM & SMR in Japanese and English version are coming out? Very Happy . Anyone know a good manga updates site?. Or know where you can get SM-Stars (Japanese version W/Subtitles) VHS or DVD?.

I haven't heard of a release date for the first two seasons uncut. I'm not sure what you mean by a manga updates site, but if you're talking about downloading the Sailor Moon manga...that's available in stores. (I've seen it in numerous Hot Topic stores.) And I don't post links of places to get fansubs.
Case

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

*buzz* wrong. (And since Zac HATES this question, I'll gladly take up the slack.)

"*buzz* wrong"? I'm glad you're so open to other people's opinions...

Cassandra wrote:

In Stars, the MAIN problem is that the Starlights "disguise" themselves as men during the day...then they transform into women to fight. The nudity (as seen in Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo) is easily fixed, so that doesn't really count as a problem in my eyes.

Despite having heard this argument from dozens, if not hundreds of people over the past 3 plus years, I still fail to see how this is a problem.

The Three Lights are straightforwardly male in the scenes where they appear as civillians, and straightforwardly female in the scenes where they appear in their senshi guises. (With the possible exception of the handful of times where Starfighter [read: female form] expresses affection toward Sailor Moon.)

Their gender situation is not central to the story, it is not pandered to the audience as some uninformed individuals would have you believe, and it isn't used as a base for innuendo.

All the problem really amounts to is a concept, and that particular concept has already passed by CN's execs in one form and been aired on television on several occasions. Remember Gren from the Jupiter Jazz episodes of Cowboy Bebop? They edited his/her nudity, but they did not prevent Faye from saying "Which are you?" and Gren from saying "I am both male and female..."

And that's a pseudo-hermaphrodite, for Crissakes! All the Three Lights do, as far as the audience can see, is gain and lose a few curves from time to time.

If somebody was *really* worried about it, all you'd really have to do is throw around the word "disguise", and all problems would theoretically be solved. Children are not offended by the concept of Bugs Bunny dressing up as a woman and attempting to seduce Elmer Fudd; why is the case of the Starlights all that different?

As a matter of fact, the fact that they change gender rather effectively underscores their roles. As civillians they are a suave, ever-trendy boy band that the girls could have fun swooning over; and as senshi they are supreme symbols of girl-power, which is one quality that people have lauded the existing dub of Sailor Moon for ever since it first hit the airwaves.

As a result, I see no reason why the gender issue all by itself would pose any kind of obstacle for the importating of Sailor Moon Sailorstars. Unless you are simply obsessing over the social ramifications of the concept, there is nothing substantial to be offended by. Your average viewer, whom I doubt commits very little time philosophizing over social taboos, probably wouldn't even notice.

"Coool! That hunky looking guitar player just changed into a Sailor Scout!!"

Remember: We are children of the internet. Our opinions are not always representative of the general population.

...Thank God. Smile

DragonZero wrote:

Does anyone know when SM & SMR in Japanese and English version are coming out? :)

I e-mailed ADV to ask about that just a few days ago. Sadly, I have not yet received a reply.

I only hope they're better at customer service than Bandai is. I submitted a question about the releases of Gundam 08th MS right on their website over a month ago, and they still haven't gotten back to me. Utterly shameful. -_-

**Edit: Yay! Post number 101! I hadn't even noticed that I had hit 100... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5