• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNi and Tenchi GXP

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so FUNimation is going to be dubbing Tenchi GXP.

I only have one real worry about this to date. From what I have seen of their present and previous work, FUNimation seems to pretty much stick to their own talent when casting for their dubs. This makes it seem likely that Matt Miller, Sherry Lynn, Jennifer Darling et al have a poor shot at reprising their roles from the other Tenchi series. This rather saddens me.

Do any of you think that a petition would be useful in convincing FUNimation to commission Pioneer's VAs to at least voice the cameos of Tenchi and the other old characters?

I think one might be worthwhile in this specific case since the goal is so specific, and since proof of fan demand is really all FUNimation would need to make the decision. (In thoery...) I'm less sure about whether or not a petition or something of that sort is even necessary. I know that FUNimation has been paying a lot more attention to fan opinion since they ventured beyond DBZ, and I can't quite rule out the fact that they might see value in contracting the old VAs just from the input they are already getting at cons and such.

Assuming that a petition would be a worthwhile effort, would one of those online petitions be sufficient in this case or would a written petition still be preferred because of the formality?

A question for the webmasters: If someone started a petition of this nature, would you endorse it or would you consider it just as much a waste of time as any of the hundreds of other petitions that float around the web?

Basically, I'm looking for anyone's opinions on the matter and what you guys think about trying to get FUNi to release a more homogulous product. Any and all input is encouraged and appreciated. Anime smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:24 am Reply with quote
Just why is FUNi doing the dub? Is Pioneer contracting them out for it to make it easier to get on Cartoon Network or did FUNi actually get the license? I always thought that Pioneer had exclusive rights to all things Tenchi in the USA.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:40 am Reply with quote
I've heard rumours to the effect that Pioneer didn't want it. But Funi and Pioneer work together on some projects, so this wasn't too surprising. Aside from the previously expressed concern about the cameos from the regular Tenchi cast, I'm not concerned in the slightest that Funi's doing the dub. They get a bad rap for their treatment of Dragonball Z; they have to make the changes they make to get it on the air, and they're committed to bringing it out on DVD completely uncut, with the older episodes previously available dub-only to be reissued on bilingual uncut DVD. If Funi hadn't picked it up, either DiC or Saban would have, and you'd still be waiting for a subtitled, intact version, or none of the syndicators would have, in which case none of the traditional domestic anime distributors would likely have picked it up either, since the rights to the series are believed to exceed $10 million just because there are so many episodes.

As I see it, the advantages of Funi having GXP are as follows:
1) The suggested retail price of each DVD will likely be $5 below the SRP for your average Pioneer, Bandai or ADV release.
2) The disks will hit the shelves much quicker.
3) Pioneer can concentrate on releasing the 3rd OVA series in a timely manner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I think it also makes sense when one considers that characters from Tenchi GXP are, for the most part, new.

It'll probably be the same as every other Tenchi show ever made, but it'll have NEW characters! Sort of like how Lucky Charms adds new marshmallows every few months, even though they all taste like sugar-coated styrofoam packing peanuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cgoten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:13 pm Reply with quote
At FUNi's panel at AXNY they said they wanted to get the original voice actors back for episode 17 (I think it's 17) but since their studio is in Texas and all the other Tenchi series were dubbed in California it'd be hard to get them to come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Wrong answer, Lord Byronius. No cookie for you.

GXP is actually very different from Tenchi as we know it. Seina isn't wishy-washy and indecisive and the girls aren't borderline psychotic (at least, not the girls most involved romantically). Just the other day I was up at my local anime shop and we watched with anticipation a fansub of the first three episodes. We were rolling on the floor laughing and just flat out enjoying the series.

*at this point, the scene goes pastel and cherry blossoms begin swirling around Craeyst*

I swear, by the pointed teeth of my beloved golden goddess, my beautiful star from the heavens Mihoshi, that should Funimation allow this series, containing both her and her esteemed mother Mitoto, fall into shambles I shall wreak havoc upon their worthless souls.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

GXP is actually very different from Tenchi as we know it. Seina isn't wishy-washy and indecisive and the girls aren't borderline psychotic (at least, not the girls most involved romantically).

Thank you Raygal, you have renewed my hopes for GXP.

Unless you're lying. Ha ha ha ha ha!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, even Taro Maki stated that GXP wouldn't work if it was a retread of the same old Tenchi concepts, plus he wanted to put Tenchi back on the map, both in popuularity and creatively. The last Tenchi project he was involved in was the 3rd movie, (No, Maki is not responsble for Shin Tenchi, and even he hates it) and he said that Tenchi Forever was investigating one direction the series could take. A more grown up, emotionally charged direction with less slapstick and more story. Ultimately, though, Maki wasn't happy with that, and he was burned out with the standard Tenchi cast after writing the 3rd and final OAV with the lessons learned from the 3rd movie, so he wants something new from GXP. Something to re-energize the series.

And how could you not trust a pretty face like mine? :wink:
Judau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know, FUNi has screwed up with dubs too much for me to say that Tenchi GXP is going to be... well, good. If they got Pioneer's voice actor's, all would be right in the world for the new series (although, I for one have not seen any of it, so I do not know how much is supported by the old cast). Just look at DBZ, what made FUNi... "popular", not exactly in good terms. seasons 1 and 2, not FUNi- good voices, HORRIBLE cuts (do I have to mention the other dimension), but when FUNi took over, the voices went horribly wrong (although, now the voice actors have gotten better, but it is also, what? season 6 now?), I don't like thinking of the 20 episode Freeza fest with the dub... they did not get the original voice actors from Ocean Group, I don;t know if they will be able to from Pioneer. Nor do I believe a petition will do the trick, completly. They are indeed listening more to fans now, but they still do their own thing. Sometimes (ok, most of the time), it feels like they could care less about the fans that know about upcoming projects like Tenchi GXP and focus more on ratings (with funny voices, I guess), and their younger audience. I have yet to see them pull through with a "Wow, that was a good dub", unlike basically every other dubbing company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Point taken, Judau. FUNimation is generally suspect.

But, consider this. Tenchi Muyo is a proven property stateside with a huge fanbase that they realize is, for the most part, NOT the Dragonball Z fanbase. If it were a completely unknown product on the airwaves (like, for example, if they handled a TV release of Trigun) then there's cause for tremendous concern because they will bend over backwards to get it on the air and in the "lunchbox and backpack" vein of marketing. But, the three Tenchi series aired on Toonami scored remarkable ratings for a genre that was totally unproven, Tenchi TV and the second run of Gundam Wing often swapped places in the Nielsen ratings day to day depending on episode. And Gundam Wing is the only Toonami program to ever dethrone Dragonball Z as the top ratings Toonami program. FUNimation is not about to risk a done deal for ratings on an audience that didn't bite the first time around. Contrary to popular belief, their marketing department isn't that stupid.
Judau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes indeed, Craeyst, but are we sure that FUNi will decide to change their marketing and voiceing tactics with another popular show? They may still believe that even though many DBZ fans may not be interested in the Tenchi series, they might think that perhaps the Tenchi fans will react in the same mannor. To me, it seems as though the fan base of DBZ, besides general anime fans, do not usually intermingal with the fans of Tenchi, the two animes are quite different. Therefore, I can see both paths FUNi may take, and just hope that you are correct in them changing their ideas from their DBZ state of mind to a fresh path for the Tenchi fans. I guess we will just have to wait and see...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BigDawg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:51 am Reply with quote
I bought the DVD releases of Tenchi GXP (Vol 1 & 2) and the English Subtitles are awful! Whoever did em does NOT speak english! Id seen a fansubbed version of the first two eps and they were hilarious! Looks Like Ill need to learn Japanese...or is there any word on how soon a dubbed GXP will be availible?
Cgoten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:16 pm Reply with quote
BigDawg wrote:

and the English Subtitles are awful! Whoever did em does NOT speak english!

Sounds like a bootleg to me... Anywho, I bet they'll have the dub or GXP out sometime in 2003.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1