• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Read or Dream (Read or Die 2) Tv

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suarhnir

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know extensively about the R.O.D. Tv series?
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
What do you want to know?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The title of this show is "R.O.D. the TV". Read or Dream is the name of the manga and was the pre-production name of the show.
suarhnir

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I know that the sequel manga is titled Read or Dream, but when I was in Japan, the cases for the series in stores said Read or Dream.

I have seen the ova and looked into the manga for Read or Die. Currently I am trying to find out about anything pertaining to the Tv series, but not many english sites have decent information.

From what I have come across in the plot, spoiler[Yomiko stole a set of books from the organization's library then set the place on fire. She's been missing since] and now Nenene (as well as the Royal British Library Division of Special Operations).

That's all I know plot-wise, so anything else other than that and main characters that you know, please tell me.

[Spoiler tag added -Jonathan]
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think you'd enjoy it a lot more if you just watched the show instead of hunted around for all the plot details. At any rate, it's been a little while since I've seen it, so I don't remember enough of the specifics to give you a full outline. But if you have any particular questions, I can probably answer those.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Honestly, I think you'd enjoy it a lot more if you just watched the show instead of hunted around for all the plot details.

Agreed.

I'm only two episodes away from wrapping it up myself, and I can say that aside from the ending (which seems to be getting rather...muddled) I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Not quite on the level of the OVAs, but it's still rather good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
suarhnir

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Gomen, I am the kind of person who watches and looks up everything I can or vice versa. If I am unable to see it then I go searching for as much info on it until I do. To me, knowing and watching are very different so regardless of how much spoilers I come across beforehand, I would still want to see it.

Again sorry, I was careless with previous message and bit of spoilers.
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:47 am Reply with quote
It's a fusion of two related manga, Read or Die, and Read or Dream. The two are different and have different characters, but live in the same world. Hence it is only R.o.D. TV
suarhnir

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I read the cover for the R.o.D Tv as Read or Dream. This being in three stores I browsed through while in Japan. Though I have known that they changed the title when bringing it over. I prefer to stick with the raw original unless stated otherwise by the author, like with Ah Megami-sama, the author said that he meant it to be translated as "oh my goddess" yet there is still quite a few who go with "ah my goddess", so I call it as he intended in translation or the Japanese.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
There are two different manga. That's why it's name is disputed. They are fused here as spoiler[R.o.D. TV has characters from both interact and form the whole main plot arc. ]
Goldfinger0957

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode at Anime Boston and it was pretty damn good. I went in expecting something stupid and came out wanting more. The animation kicks ass. Im happy to see that it has the same quality animation as the OVA. When i was there they said that it had to be called ROD the TV. Read or dream was the manga, read or die was the ova and because of licensing difficulties the creator or studio or whoever they acquired it from told them that it had to be called ROD the TV.

I do have a couple questiosn though:
Has a release date been announced?
Did Manga license it?
How many episodes is it?
Do any characters from the OVA make an appearence? (the master?)
Is the soundtrack worth buying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It's ROD TV because the characters are fused from the creator's two different manga. Characters from both interact in the very first episode. Nenene is part of the Read or Die manga, while the three sisters are from the Read or Dream manga. Later more folks from Read or Die show up. You can't call it Read or Die or Read or Dream because it isn't. This is a crossover series, it can't fit in either manga and independent of both.
As for episode stats and release dates, it comes out sometime in June, has 26 episodes, and the manga is unclear at this point.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Goldfinger0957 wrote:
Has a release date been announced?
Did Manga license it?
How many episodes is it?
Do any characters from the OVA make an appearence? (the master?)
Is the soundtrack worth buying?

-June 29th.
-Geneon.
-Twenty-six. Four on the first DVD.
-It takes a while, but eventually spoiler[Yomiko, Nancy (with post-OVA amnesia), Drake, Mr. Joker, & Wendy all return to the scene.]
-The soundtrack is by the same composer who did the OVAs. So yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:02 am Reply with quote
All I know is that the OVa kicked ASS and Im picking up the first DVD on 29th
chevisan

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
-The soundtrack is by the same composer who did the OVAs

Yes, Taku Iwasaki did the soundtracks .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1