• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Failed sending email - PHP ::" ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been getting this message not infrequently lately after submitting a post or pm. The post still shows up, so I'm not quite sure why I'm getting the error message.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
While I don't know the cause, the reason is simple enough - someone has subscribed to the thread or has email notification of PMs and the forum was unable to send the email.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it happened to me too. First time ever too. It occurred with the "Next Forum Tournament Brainstorming" thread. Luckily when I tried to refresh the page, Firefox told me I'd just be double-posting.

The funny thing is I don't get E-mail notifications of new posts in any thread. So even if it failed to send an E-mail to someone else, why would it tell me? If it was being fair, it would tell that person directly, wouldn't it?
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I also just got the message, I was posting in the invasive ads thread.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
I never get this message in seven months, then get it twice in a day. The second one happened in the Guessing Game thread.

Edit: Just happened to me right now, for this very post. Twice in two minutes. Highly annoyed by it.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
This needs to be fixed. I've "reposted" some of my posts twice or more bcause of this. Annoying as heck.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
This needs to be fixed. I've "reposted" some of my posts twice or more bcause of this. Annoying as heck.

Well, you don't need to repost a message if you get this error, it will have gone through.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Happened to me too. Also, I just received seven private messages and saw repeated posts throughout a couple threads in the forum.

ANN wrote:
General Error

Failed sending mail :: PHP ::
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I'm unable to send PMs as of now becuase of that message. When i say that, i mean that i've tried sending it probably 20 times over the course of 5 days, and each one says "Failed sending e-mail :: PHP :: . So... yeah, just to add to the complaints file. ( i really hope that it means what it says, that'd be bad if i sent e-mails 20 times becuase of this). Edit - Uh oh, i think they have been being sent, as i've gotten replies to them.

-Elfen12-
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Just had this happen to me for the first time today. I had read this thread, so I knew not to re-post, but a lot of people are double and triple posting.

edit: just happened here as well. it's like it happened once for me and happen immediately again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's happening to me too. Apparently I fail at sending email...
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Well, for the past couple of days it happens to me every time I post or I send a pm. Couldn't it be fixed? It is quite troublesome: when you're posting, it's not so bad because you can check if it is there, but with the pm you can only pray that it arrived.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
It happened to me twice in a row yesterday and just now when I was responding a pm. So I'll just say here that if you didn't get my pm, just tell me so I can send it again, Dargonxtc.

EDIT: And I got it just now when I made this post. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Please add me to the list of folks who would appreciate it if this message were addressed in the future. Even if the root cause can't be fixed the message can at least be modified to say something that makes a bit more sense. The explanation is rather lacking and not very intuitive. I've been accidentally spammed in the past because of this and I even ended up inadvertently spamming someone else's inbox simply because I had no idea what the heck was going on. Luckily they were a really easy going user but it seems these issues could be solved with a slightly better error message. We're not all phpBB administrators who know what the heck these cryptic middleware blurbs are supposed to be telling us.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fixed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2