• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann bilingual DVD?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatmandoubblescoop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
i saw Gurren Lagann vol.1 and 2 at best buy the other day i was about to buy it until i read the back, which says it only has Japanese audio and and English subtitles. did i misread it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
You didn't misread it. The dual-language version is coming out later, like in November if I recall correctly.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing early 2009 on the hybrid releases (maybe February?), but it's also possible that's out-of-date info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
I read that the first hybrids will be released November 11.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Interesting enough, it seems like the Hybrid DVDs are rather affordable, and this is probably in thanks to the cheap sub-only DVDs selling more. I hope we see more releases like that for the dub-hating crowd.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Yah rightstuf has it listed for november11th, I got it preordered already !
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope we see more releases like that for the dub-hating crowd.
You know, if it helped make dubs more affordable and more likely for shows I'd be all for that since it would make things better for all fans, not just the sub-eltists. However, I'd be willing to bet money that most of the dub-hating crowd is still not buying anything and that these sub-only DVDs have sold mostly to the less militant sub fans and to people who really just hate to wait.

I think this is the case because there has been, at least in posts here and other other sites I've been to, a very strong correlation between extreme dub-hating comments and "I only download" comments. Now, that's not scientific nor does it constitute any significant statistical data or anything else. It's just a personal observation. Still, it does make a person pause and think.

Like I said though, if I'm wrong and this brings in people who normally don't buy any DVDs, then that's wonderful since it could raise the potential for more series to get English dubs. Sell the sub-only set to the can't wait/don't care/hate dubs crowd and then put out a bi-lingual set for the large group of fans who either like English dubs, want both languages or just wanted to wait for a set or a better deal or whatever.

All I really care about is pleasing the maximum number of fans, which I don't think happens when a series is released mono-lingual.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Interesting enough, it seems like the Hybrid DVDs are rather affordable, and this is probably in thanks to the cheap sub-only DVDs selling more. I hope we see more releases like that for the dub-hating crowd.
Or maybe just because it's a popular series with additional US TV exposure, they could afford to reduce the price. What are the sub-only DVDs selling "more" than? Somehow, I'm thinking the dual-language discs are going to sell more, thanks to the Sci-Fi airing and the collectors holding out for the full version. Gurren Lagann was just a special case because of the license transfer and Bandai wanting to put *something* out as soon as possible. IT would be too much of a retailer headache to do that all the time, especially considering that many B&M stores won't even carry sub-only discs. (And from all reports, the GL sub-only discs had glitches, missing subtitles, and other problems, so I hope that doesn't become a trend.)

I know the "dub-haters" are welcome to their opinions, but I don't like how they want to drive anime releases back to the days of VHS just so they can save a few bucks. (I've even seen some advocating completely separate releases, thereby giving those who want both languages a 100% markup to pay.) Especially when standard R1 releases are much cheaper than the "pure" Japanese DVDs, cheaper than they were 10 years ago, and even cheaper if you adjust for inflation. If the price is that bad, I don't see why the dub-haters can't just wait for the $30-$60 collections that inevitably come out for every series these days. You can't honestly tell me that's too expensive for a 13-26 episode series, dual-language or not.
Richard J. wrote:
I think this is the case because there has been, at least in posts here and other other sites I've been to, a very strong correlation between extreme dub-hating comments and "I only download" comments. Now, that's not scientific nor does it constitute any significant statistical data or anything else. It's just a personal observation. Still, it does make a person pause and think.
Believe me, you're not the only person who's noticed that. In fact I know someone IRL who shares the exact same views as walw6pK4lo, even on GL specifically. At the risk of engaging in artificial nostalgia, I'd like to think that back in the early days of DVD, people were happy enough to buy DVDs, get two languages for the price of one, watch whatever language they wanted, and not care about English dubs "polluting" the release or slightly raising the price. How the times have changed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It probably comes down to the idea that the militant dub-haters don't even want to have the dub present on the DVD, or think that they're in part paying for a dub in any way. I do like some dubs, but it's usually rare and it greatly depends on the series. What they want basically is cheap R1 DVDs that support the industry while taking place of their fansubs. They would hate it if even a dollar per DVD was to cover the cost of the dub, I've met people like that too.
Paludis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
It does annoy me having to switch to subs every time I put in a DVD, so I for one would prefer earlier sub only releases, and as walw6pK4Alo says I don't want to have to pay for a dub since I have no interest in the dub anyway. I think it's a great idea to release the sub only version cheaper and earlier and then release the dual track disc later on. Surely then everyone is happy.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
I bought the subbed only DVDs because they came out first and I was impatient. I think I would rather of had the dual language DVDs because I like the dub for this series but a dub is not 100% necessary for me. I don't think I will get the dual language singles now that I have the sub only release but when Bandai releases the entire series in one collection I might double dip for the dub then.

As for sub only releases I think it is a good idea for niche titles. Dubbing cost a good chunk of money so if the title is not going to sell that well in the first place then I don't see a need for a dub.

Quote:
And from all reports, the GL sub-only discs had glitches, missing subtitles, and other problems, so I hope that doesn't become a trend.

This doesn't seem to be widespread at all. At least not like it was with the Code Geass release and that was dual language. My DVDs had none of the problems you mentioned . The only real issue was they used the TV broadcast for episode 11 instead of the DVD release.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
@ Zalis116: I feel like an old time fan lately myself. I remember when people bragged about the size of their collections of whatever they collected. Now it's "my computer's harddrive is over 9000 gigabytes!" and "I hate every show that's coming out but I download them all for free so I'm a true fan!" crap all the time.

I miss the "true fans" who thought that meant loving what they were fans of being friendly and helpful to other fellow fans.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
This doesn't seem to be widespread at all. At least not like it was with the Code Geass release and that was dual language. My DVDs had none of the problems you mentioned . The only real issue was they used the TV broadcast for episode 11 instead of the DVD release.
If I'm remembering some of Bandai's comments correctly, I think they implied that the sub-only set was going to be like the Japanese TV broadcast just on DVD. I could have been misreading them but the impression I had was that they were treating the release as both a fast way to get the series out after ADV lost it and they got it as well as a way to see if fans would buy sub-only that was basically the Japanese broadcast on DVD. (Or something.)

The bi-lingual sets are supposed to have the DVD version of that episode and include the broadcast version as an extra.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Richard J wrote:
If I'm remembering some of Bandai's comments correctly, I think they implied that the sub-only set was going to be like the Japanese TV broadcast just on DVD. I could have been misreading them but the impression I had was that they were treating the release as both a fast way to get the series out after ADV lost it and they got it as well as a way to see if fans would buy sub-only that was basically the Japanese broadcast on DVD. (Or something.)

The bi-lingual sets are supposed to have the DVD version of that episode and include the broadcast version as an extra.

I think you might be remembering something incorrectly because Bandai never said anything like this. All the other episodes on the sub only release are the DVD version. This includes episode 6 where there was a lot of changes made to the DVD version.

In fact maybe you are thinking of episode 6 where the differences are significant because they had to change things for broadcast. But episode 11 they just cleaned up the art a bit.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I always got the impression that the early sub-only release was a "We need to get this out really quickly, on some format at least, in order to quell the indignation and fan disappointment from the ADV delays debacle."

Although I got the sub-only DVD's because I generally hate most dubs. And I'll gladly stick with them, most likely.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
BTW speaking of Gurren Lagann's upcoming DVD release.

It seems that they are doing a release similar to the one that they did for Code Geass recently.

So you will have some options for purchasing your DVDs.

Special Edition (metal box)
Box Set (2 vols. and cool stuff)
2 DVD set
and of course 2 individual DVDs.

They are also doing the same thing for Morbito as well (but no metal box Special Edition).

I would guess that these would have both the Japanese & English versions on them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2