• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Devil Lady English Dub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakli1988

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The Devil Lady is a good animation, but it is similar anime series like Elfen Lied and Death Note. I like Jun Fudou's English voice character is the best.

Last edited by pakli1988 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
According to the encyclopedia, there is a Devilman anime as well as a Devil Lady anime. There is no Devilman Lady though. It seems like kind of an oxymoron as well. Which were you referring to? You probably should edit your post to be more clear what you are discussing or the moderators will lock this.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, ikillchicken, the original manga title was Devilman Lady as "Devilman" is a term Go Nagai uses to refer to the race of beings he's created in the world of his works.

manga#4320

It's good to run across another fan of any of Go Nagai's works, let alone Devil Lady. I wouldn't call it similar to Elfen Lied or Death Note, as it does tackle themes more common to adults than young adults.

Most notably, I always felt, was the way the series focuses on Jun's growing distance from the everyday world. She drifts in and out of conversations, of work, of life itself, and it isn't until Asuka presents her with the challenge of hunting that she begins to "live" again. Only through giving into feral, carnal tendencies does Jun find purpose, but she's regularly unwilling to relinquish her finer feelings, feeling ashamed and guilty whenever she enjoys becoming a Devilman.

Of course, given that Jun also harbors spoiler[a deeply rooted love and sexual desire for her friend Kazumi, that grows throughout the series until near the very end] it all becomes a pleasantly metaphorical reference to the dualities of life.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
ya, the official title was Devilman Lady, and all throughout the series the main character, a woman, is referred to as "devilman" because of what she is.

I got the feeling it was similar to Elfen Lied since both of them seemed to be about the next step of human evolution, and the newly evolved beings recieved similar treatment
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Actually, ikillchicken, the original manga title was Devilman Lady as "Devilman" is a term Go Nagai uses to refer to the race of beings he's created in the world of his works.

manga#4320

It's good to run across another fan of any of Go Nagai's works, let alone Devil Lady. I wouldn't call it similar to Elfen Lied or Death Note, as it does tackle themes more common to adults than young adults.

Most notably, I always felt, was the way the series focuses on Jun's growing distance from the everyday world. She drifts in and out of conversations, of work, of life itself, and it isn't until Asuka presents her with the challenge of hunting that she begins to "live" again. Only through giving into feral, carnal tendencies does Jun find purpose, but she's regularly unwilling to relinquish her finer feelings, feeling ashamed and guilty whenever she enjoys becoming a Devilman.

Of course, given that Jun also harbors spoiler[a deeply rooted love and sexual desire for her friend Kazumi, that grows throughout the series until near the very end] it all becomes a pleasantly metaphorical reference to the dualities of life.

Yes, it is indeed good to find another Go Nagai fan Very Happy I liked Devilman Lady alot too because of the dual nature of the protagonist. Also i loved the ending spoiler[When Jun, having become the ultimate "devilman" and thus is seen as a incarnation of satan by most of the humanity, Kills Asuka (whom the rest of the world thinks of as god) on International TV. They became good and interesting takes on the Lucifer who obeyed god out of love vs the cold and calculating god who used everyone to fulfill his/her plan.] Note that this is not my own, personal faith or anything. I just think that they are interesting takes on the characters/concepts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1