• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Visual planning for an early simultaneous release?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
From the U.S. President's blog:.

However, North American fans will have to appraise the anime titles at the same time as the Japanese fans. This means that the North American fans will no longer benefit from Japanese fans "pre-screening" anime for them. It's possible that an anime that is not popular in Japan will be popular in the US, and if it becomes a big hit, it would be wonderful!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Let's be clear that GATSU is referring to the President of BV USA, not the President of the U.S. here.

Read the whole original post. While Mr. Konno certainly had some interesting things to say, and what he's talking about could be a popular decision with fans, he still sounds clueless about the realities of the American market when talking about getting fans to support them. I posted a lengthy reply on that site, so I won't repeat it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xeric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Key. Simultaneous release is a good step, and I think everybody will agree that it needs to be done, but the main problem that they need to fix is the pricing structure. There is a basic incompatibility between the two markets that needs to be overcome if they want to make anime as prevalent here as it is there (which I'm assuming is their goal).

I'm not going to claim to be any sort of expert, but I think the path that they need to follow is to increase their companies' presence in the US. If they allow their US companies to to grow as big as the original companies and even allow the US companies to give input on and have some control over the production of new shows then perhaps some of the incompatibilities might be fixed.

Another interesting idea would be to start an actual production studio here using the same artists and directors, but with the rest of the staff, including the VAs, American. It's essentially just reversing the current process; the release would still be simultaneous but perhaps the show itself would be much more suited to the American market.

Sorry, that wasn't very articulate, it was kinda off the cuff.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
As I stated before I think that Bandai Visual should just put subtitles on their Bandai Visual Japan releases for those few fans who can't wait and are willing to spend R2 prices and leave the R1 market alone so that other companies like Funimation and Bandai Entertainment can eventually pick up the rights for an affordable dub version for the rest of us.

This is what a few Japanese releases have been doing with new titles. Ironically Bandai Visual Japan is one of the companies that has been doing this with their Blu-ray releases since their GITS SAC box looks like it will have the English track. I assume that Manga still have the US rights and since their parent company Anchor Bay is also part of the Blu-ray exclusive camp they will also eventually release this on Blu-ray for a more affordable price for patient fans. Ghibli has even included the English dub with recent releases and a few die hard otaku bought their copies of Earthsea back when it was released in Japan, while others of us (I got mine at 45% off at amazon) bought the cheaper UK release last week and a majority of fans will just wait for the affordable US release.

I don't understand why Bandai Visual is even bothering with US versions since my BVUSA copy of Honneamise is exactly the same as the Japanese release (even has menus in Japanese) yet was released a few months later. The Japanese releases of Yukikaze in Blu-ray is also already out and has the English subs and dubs. Why should we wait for the domestic release if the US version is priced so high and is hard to find at retailers? If Bandai Visual wants to make an extra buck off of fans and have simultaneous sub only releases they should put subs on their already high priced R2 releases and leave my nice and affordable R1 land alone.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
simultaneous release won't mean s$@% if BV does it

the way they sell DVDs doesn't justify a few month earlier release
Lonestar9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
simultaneous release won't mean s$@% if BV does it

the way they sell DVDs doesn't justify a few month earlier release

Sadly, that is what I was thinking as well!!!
Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1