• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The popularity of Dragon Ball/Z/GT in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
After an argument on GameFAQs I was wondering how big the Dragon Ball series was/is in Japan. In the argument I took the stance that Gundam is significantly more popular and is at the very least, the Japanese equivalent to Disney in terms of the mark it made in history. The person I was arguing with held the opinion that DBZ was at least as iconic in Japan and was still incredibly popular. I'm reasonably sure that DBZ is very popular but that in 50 years it will be something pretty outdated while something like Gundam will probably still be running with new material. Am I really off base or pretty much correct?
Blazer1991

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I reckon they both have potential to continue, but to be honest, I would say that Gundam has a far better chance of being more popular in the future than DBZ would.

I mean, the GT series wasn't that interesting, and rather boring if you ask me.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read, I'm not even sure Anime is so popular in Japan; and I'm almost sure that it's success cannot compare to that of Disney in the US.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Gundam keeps making new series while the Dragonball anime and manga has been complete for about a decade now, so it may be likely that in the future people might remember Gundam more easily. However, I get the impression that both are already considered classic series, so it's hard to say which one will be considered more significant. Both franchises are already over 20 years old, and both are still well-known and well-loved in Japan.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
After an argument on GameFAQs I was wondering how big the Dragon Ball series was/is in Japan. In the argument I took the stance that Gundam is significantly more popular and is at the very least, the Japanese equivalent to Disney in terms of the mark it made in history. The person I was arguing with held the opinion that DBZ was at least as iconic in Japan and was still incredibly popular. I'm reasonably sure that DBZ is very popular but that in 50 years it will be something pretty outdated while something like Gundam will probably still be running with new material. Am I really off base or pretty much correct?

Either series compared to Disney is apples/oranges. One is a production studio, the others are notable genre shows.

Pound for pound, the Gundam franchise has much longer 'legs' than the Dragon Ball franchise. Many, many moons ago when the Dragon Ball franchise was running it may have had more eyes on it, due to the fact it's aimed at the wide viewer-ship young teen/tween market. Gundam, however, is a flagship series in the Japanese fanboy's genre version of chocolate N' peanut butter. Giant mecha + Angsty High schoolers/soldiers + ultra-rightwing Japanese militarism (or 'anti-war' themes as the Japanese call it)= die-hard, loyal, merchandise buying market. It's still a niche genre, most Japanese anime fans are not mecha watchers, but it does attract fans who stay with the show/material for quite a long time.
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Gundam has more variety and is more fan crazed in japan than dbz. America doesnt like gundam except for the elitists who understand war. Dbz died when dbgt came out and Gundam is flourishing in japan. America still shows reruns of dbz to please kindergardeners. True full blooded japanese folk in Tokyo love gundam and hate dbz.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
DBZ dvd volumes were selling at a 20k avg recently, iirc I read that the introduction of Trunks DBZ had a 22.1% tv rating or something (Naruto pulls 5-6% for comparison).
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Dbz lacks depth, good animation and the music in the original just plain sucks. The new uncut dub is a joke. Everything after the Frieza saga never happened. It was to end with piccolo watching over gohan. The garlic jr saga and cyborg frieza sagas are not canon. Only the first 3 movies of dbz counts since goku is the only ssj in those movie. Goku is the legendary Super Saiyajin.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
You're posting opinions I'm posting facts.

Quote:
Dbz died when dbgt came out

^ = Opinion

Quote:
DBZ dvd sales avg 20k in japan

^ = Fact

Here's a hint the quality of the shows themselves have nothing to do with the question.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
Toei just recently began releasing the original DB on DVD and they premiered in the top 5, which was pretty impressive for an old series, especially when compared with the newer titles in the market. This showed that the series is still respected there and that its popularity hadn't died over the years.

When comparing DB with Gundam, I second that Gundam is and will always be more popular than DB/DBZ -I won't ever approve of GT since it wasn't based off Toriyama's ideas- unlike DB that relied on continuity, the Gundam franchise can always continue on for decades with different plots/protagonists/characters that take place in alternative universe which gives each series a some-what feeling of newness.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
When comparing DB with Gundam, I second that Gundam is and will always be more popular than DB/DBZ.

I'm pretty sure DBZ outrated every gundam series over the course of 291 episodes.

Oh found it

Dragonball Z
Highest rating: 27.5%
Lowest rating: 12.1%
Average rating: 20.5%

I believe this was posted on gunota when they where showing SEED ratings, this outrates MSG/Zeta/ZZ by quite a bit and every other gundam series easily.

Todays "DBZs" in Naruto and Bleach are only doing 6-4%, One Piece does around 8-9.

Also lol @ the gundam = the disney of japan comment. Disney of Japan is Ghibli.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
I obviously didn't mean it literally. I was speaking in terms of the fact that both played revolutionary parts on animation and that they'll always be around with iconic status. They built a freaking life-sized model of a Gundam in Japan, I'd say that definitely means that it's pretty important culturally.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually I would consider more acurately that Gundam is probably more like the Star Wars or Star Trek of Japan, given all of it's alternate storylines and tons of series over the years while DB/DBZ would be the Superman of Japan because like how Superman inspired a whole new genre in Superhero comics, DB/DBZ inspired a whole new genre in shounen, which is a genre I would consider to be the Superhero comics of Japan.

That said I'd say Gundam is probably the bigger franchise, but DB/DBZ is probably the more groundbreaking one.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but about a year ago, I was doing some shopping in the JP amazon to buy the oldest Gundam, since the R1 version is dubbed-only and when out of curiosity I did a search on the other Gundams to compare the ratings that they received to see which one is the most and least popular, I was quite shocked by the low ratings (2.5 stars and less) that all the SEED titles received.

I mean, SEED wasn't my cup of tea, but I had no idea until then that the Japanese also hated it -which now as I remember makes me wonder if the Gundam franchise will continue to be accepted and popular there beyond SEED.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
That said I'd say Gundam is probably the bigger franchise, but DB/DBZ is probably the more groundbreaking one.

Not exactly. Dragon Ball was certainly an influential work, but most of that influence simply extends to the shounen manga/anime genre and people like Kishimoto and Kubo, with Dragon Ball more or less defining how the genre would be approached from that point on. Gundam, however, had a far-reaching effect across just about all anime genres. Sure, it's credited with creating the "real robot" genre of more plausible robots in anime, and that was in itself incredibly influential, but Gundam was also one of the first major pioneers of the sort of intense character development and writing that's become commonplace in anime of all genres to this day. Actually writing characters as characters and not simply half-hour heroes and mascots only really took off when Gundam became incredibly popular doing it (and was firmly established when Evangelion followed suit in the 90s), which reaches far beyond a single genre.

Raven Shinobi wrote:
I mean, SEED wasn't my cup of tea, but I had no idea until then that the Japanese also hated it -which now as I remember makes me wonder if the Gundam franchise will continue to be accepted and popular there beyond SEED.

False. SEED was an absolute phenomenon in Japan, and continues to be, even enduring beyond the fact that the Japanese do generally consider Destiny to be a disappointment like we do. And ratings on Amazon don't mean jack, because if you look at our own Amazon, most of the people who rate things are morons and shut-in nerds who seldom speak for the population at large. Fact is, SEED remains a top-selling, well loved property in Japan, and both TV series garnered some of the higher TV ratings among all the Gundam series currently out, only really being eclipsed by some of the very first Universal Century series (Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, possibly ZZ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3