• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Patlabor Movies - Manga vs. Bandai

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote
I recently found VHS tapes of the Patlabor Movies at a yard sale, and I watched them. I liked them, seeing that the voices meshed well with the characters. So, I got the DVD's from Bandai.

What the hell happened with the characters?

It seems like Bandai completely messed up the VA's, or the VA's never gave it their all with a couple of the characters.

Examples:

Gotoh
Manga dub: Is portrayed as a cheeky sage like figure. It feels like that he has fun trying to solve the case while trying to keep poker faces and the like.
Bandai dub: Sounds like a wise-ass sage who seems to know the answers. With every question that comes up, it seems like in his tone "Ooooo, I know the answer already. Damn these incompetent not-so-nice-people. Sheesh, must pwn them fast."

Nagumo
Manga dub: In the Patlabor 2 dub, you know she's extremely disgusted with Gotoh's tactics and laid-back demeanor, but is willing to help him out no matter what.
Bandai Dub: It seems like the translation might be at fault, because the words don't quite seem to help convey her respect for Gotoh in some cases spoiler[(example: When she scolds Gotoh for not agreeing to deploy his Labors against the striking JSDF base.)]

Ohta
Manga dub: Is portrayed as a gun wielding lunatic with the voice to match his gun fetish.
Bandai Dub: Who the hell gave him Tranquilizers?

I know they couldn't import the track and all, but they could've at least bothered to do some research on the characters!!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
You might want to give the Japanese track a reference. I'm not the biggest expert on Patlabor (re: I'm not one) but there's a possibility the new dub track is aiming for more accuracy, considering old dubs could take any kind of liberties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1