• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A new magical girl explosion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
You know there hasn't been a majorly huge magical girl to come along and doublesize the genre or love for the genre in america. Not since the days when sailor moon has secured her spot as an icon here in anime. yeah im aware that theres some really good ones lately like Nanoha and the ill fated Doremi and Tokyo mew mew that failed to a bad 4kids thing.

you think we will have a new great magical girl to be the new anime icon here in the US. Im talking naruto or bleach big in america. Huge!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Possibly someday, but like most "explosions" or trends they just seem to come out of nowhere and can hit any genre or style at any time. It's certainly not unique to magical girl series, it's similar to the explosion of comic hero movies in the domestic market or reality shows. Even Pokemon created a bit of a trend when Digimon and Monster Rancher followed up and tried to capitalize on Pokemon's success.

It's a business, something clicks with the viewers and does extremely well and it starts a large trend and focus shift in that direction, sometimes it last a long time and sometimes the trend falls flat as quickly as it hit the scene.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
l3lueMage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
They should send Nanoha, or even Shakugan no Shana Razz
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think magical girl anime would be as popular as Naruto and Bleach because even though they are shonen they appeal to girls. Magical girls aren't very appealing to guys espeically if it's very flamboyantly girly. I heard Mermaid Melody was lisenced here by ADV but they dropped the lisence because they felt it would be very popular and they didn't have the budget. If it does get released here, it may be very popular since it already has a fanbase.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Not really a fan of the genre at all really so I can't say. The only shows I've enjoyed that could be remotely considered magical girl anime are Someday's Dreamers, Fate/Stay Night, and My HIME.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night is definitely not a magical girl show. I haven't seen the others so I can't comment, but from what I know of them they aren't magical girl shows either. (I own the first Someday Dreamer's manga, etc).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Fate/Stay Night is definitely not a magical girl show. I haven't seen the others so I can't comment, but from what I know of them they aren't magical girl shows either. (I own the first Someday Dreamer's manga, etc).

Hence why the phrase "remotely considered" was added, however, they all have women that use magic or some type of special magic-like power. Smile

Also forgot to mention Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro Chan and if magical girl hentai counts there'd be another.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
You should come to the Philippines then - Where more guys love these magical girl type shows. I know a lot of guys who love Card Captor Sakura, Akazukin Cha Cha, Nanoha, Shana etc. Of course, these are the same guys who are into lolis Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Besides the fact that everyone loves CCs and that Shana is a shonen series,
isn't Nanoha directed at males too?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is, but its still magical girl, albeit not a typical one.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
if magical girl hentai counts there'd be another.
There'd probably be a lot more lol. Although I'm no expert on hentai so I can only think of one offhand, mostly because the title is obvious and there are resin toys for it floating around....Mahou Shoujo Ai.

Wait, I just thought of another. Makai Tenshi Jibril. I have a PVC toy of that series. There are lots of Jibril PVCs, actually.

There's probably a zillion magical girl hentais out there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quote
The one I was thinking of was Battle Team Lakers, which wasn't exactly what I'd call good, but it did provide some laughs.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
"A new magical girl explosion"

The title of this thread brings to mind a girl who magically waves a wand then explodes!

Much like mecha shows there is something about this genre that never clicked with the non-Japanese audience. It is odd that Sailor Moon was at it's peak around the same time as Wing Gundam. I wonder if this generation of fans were more "in tune" with the Japanese fandom. Most newer fans just don't seem as interested in either genres.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
"A new magical girl explosion"

The title of this thread brings to mind a girl who magically waves a wand then explodes!

Much like mecha shows there is something about this genre that never clicked with the non-Japanese audience. It is odd that Sailor Moon was at it's peak around the same time as Wing Gundam. I wonder if this generation of fans were more "in tune" with the Japanese fandom. Most newer fans just don't seem as interested in either genres.

I'm glad you said most NEWER fans because I for one love the mecha genre. Then again I am an 80's kid through and through. Wink Nothing like 80's rock and metal blasting to a guy in a suit proclaiming his burning desire for vengeance and jumping in a mech that does a back flip and poses like the Ginyu force from DBZ. I thought the title meant we were putting magical girls in some sort of box and blowing it up....I even brought marshmallows Cool Though I will agree there have been some series loosely similar to a magical girl anime there have been few that have been brought over here. I'm sure there's dozens of new ones every year in Japan.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
You should come to the Philippines then - Where more guys love these magical girl type shows.

That's because Filipino dudes are a bunch of moe-lovin' pussies. I SHOULD KNOW Laughing Laughing

Sailor Moon was a once in a lifetime series. That kind of popularity is never going to happen again. There will still be magical girl shows ... including skeevy pedoriffic ones for guys ... but the idea of any one of them becoming a cultural icon is pretty much over.

Besides, most of the Sailor Moon generation is into YAOI now. Go figure. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3