• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Relations towards real life and anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ever watched one of your favourite anime series and end up realizing how your life is some-what just like that of the protagonist or antagonist?

I sort of realized that I'm like Yuki Soma fromFruit Basket except the who animal change thing. We're both quite and we both kinda have trouble making friends. Also we both don't like the attention we get and dislike our families. Well that's all I can think of so far.

Anyways how about you?
Asako

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
You mean you have a fan club of girls and everything? Very Happy Naw just kidding...

I'd "like" to think I'm like Akari Kanzaki from Battle Athletes in some way, but I'm pretty sure I'm just deluding myself...

I think I have a lot of inner potential like she does but I usually stop halfway and end up running away from things. I'm nice to pretty much everyone and smiles and everything... but that's about it for being anywhere close to Akari Smile I also need lots of encouragement from my friends to get anywhere... *sigh*

Other than that, I can't really think of anyone I relate to Anime hyper
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had a fan club...oh well my heart goes to one girl anyways Smile
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not really... I do relate to some anime characters in some ways, but there'snot ONE whose situation is exactly mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I have a good friend whose life is almost exactly like a harem anime. He's a quiet, geeky guy, but I swear every single girl who meets him for any extended amount of time crushes on him/falls in love with him. He has a girlfriend now, so the situation kind of calmed down, but for a long time there was constant drama because it seemed like half the girls at my school (myself included, actually--I suppose this was my duty as a "best friend" character) were after him.

So next time you call harem anime unrealistic...well, it is. But with some exceptions. Laughing
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a topic about this a little less than a month or so ago?

Anyway, like Testament, I've never seen an anime character that has the same life that I do or has the same thought process or attitude or personality that I do, so I don't really relate to anybody I know of as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
I haven't found a situation in anime or manga that coincides with things that have happened to me, my grandmother went through times that are documented in Hadashi No Gen, because she lived in Hiroshima at the time of the A-bomb.
10円

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="Pacific Pikachu"]I have a good friend whose life is almost exactly like a harem anime. [/quote]

No way? Shut up! I wish I had gone to your school.

[Removed unnecessary derailment.]

I don't really fit into any anime character. I've looked for it, honestly, but there is just nobody who really fits me exactly. I think part of the problem is that many anime take place it rather [i]interesting times[/i], so even though I may act a certain way when the world is about to end, I doubt I'll ever get to really explore that side of my personality. At least I hope I won't. I still think this is a cool topic and all, I just can't think of any character that really thinks and acts like I do. And let's be honest, many anime characters typically go so overboard with their personality traits that being like any of them is probably not going to facilitate a normal, healthy lifestyle. Be thankful for being unconventional and different. Most of the folks on this board are not from ultra-conformist societies like Japan. What makes us unique is what makes us interesting. Be thankful for that.

Last edited by 10円 on Wed May 02, 2007 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Anyway, like Testament, I've never seen an anime character that has the same life that I do or has the same thought process or attitude or personality that I do, so I don't really relate to anybody I know of as of yet.

I think I know that thread you're talking about, was it something like "character you can relate to?" I think this one's slightly different, since it's focused on the protagonist.

Anyway, here's my answer. I can relate to Yukari from Paradise Kiss. I also feel that I'm doing a lot of things just to please my parents - specifically me going to school. Sometimes I feel like I wanna drop out or at least pursue something more creative. I also want to do something fashion related. I want to be a model, but I'm only 5'3 so that's impossible Laughing Laughing If I can't be a model, I at least want to be a designer or maybe start my own modelling agency. I also want to work for a major fashion magazine a la The Devil Wears Prada. Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I want to be a model, but I'm only 5'3 so that's impossible

I'm 6'4" and I want to be a race car driver. Let's switch!
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
jetz wrote:
I want to be a model, but I'm only 5'3 so that's impossible

I'm 6'4" and I want to be a race car driver. Let's switch!

There aren't a lot of models out there who are over 6'4. Average height is 5'10, I think. Why do you have to be as short as me to be a race car driver? You can be a jockey at my height though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Why do you have to be as short as me to be a race car driver?

Drivers / pilots of specialized vehicles (e.g. race cars, tanks, military aircrafts, deep sea submarines, space shuttles) have limitations on their maximum height and weight, for people with big frames might not be able to enter or exit the cramped cockpit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

I think I know that thread you're talking about, was it something like "character you can relate to?" I think this one's slightly different, since it's focused on the protagonist.

Is that really a difference? Its the same thing except you have a more limited scope of characters to choose from. Actually, I may have been the one who posted that other topic. I definitely posted one like this, but i dont recal the name so Im not sure if it was that one. All i remember is it was locked right off the bat.

BTW, Im like Vash the Stampede from Trigun, cause like, Im just that awesome. /=
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
jetz wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Is that really a difference? Its the same thing except you have a more limited scope of characters to choose from. Actually, I may have been the one who posted that other topic. I definitely posted one like this, but i don't recal the name so Im not sure if it was that one. All i remember is it was locked right off the bat.

BTW, Im like Vash the Stampede from Trigun, cause like, Im just that awesome. /=

Nope, that definitely wasn't it. The thread I was referring to wasn't locked.

Yeah there is. I think in this thread you also have to consider the circumstances of that character - I think. It's not just about relating to a certain character (turns out you can choose from any character of a series, but it's most sensible to pick the main character since he/she is the focus of the anime and it's mostly about his/her life) but living a life that's similar.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
A title that comes to mind is Genshiken. I would like to say I see myself as Kosaka, just minus the girlfriend or the blonde hair Rolling Eyes . So I guess that makes me more like Sasahara.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2