• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon boxset releases

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how long it usually takes from last DVD release to boxset release for Geneon? Kyo Kara Maou and Gankutsuou both had their last volumes released in Sept. 06 but there's no word of boxsets for either yet. Usually I'm one of those horribly cheap people who waits for a cheap thinpak release years later (I just picked up Berserk last Christmas) but these two series have hooked me in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Geneon usually don't release cheap boxset. Most of their recent boxset have been like 20 dollar cheaper than buying the single

Example: Trigun, Samurai Champloo, GunGrave, etc.
kushiel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Geneon usually don't release cheap boxset. Most of their recent boxset have been like 20 dollar cheaper than buying the single

Example: Trigun, Samurai Champloo, GunGrave, etc.

Oh, I know boxsets aren't cheap right off the bat. My reference to buying cheap boxsets was when years later a series isn't in demand anymore so places like RightStuf sell them cheap or some companies do release cheaper packs. I'm just wanting to know if there'll be boxsets at all for those two titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Geneon seems to usually wait a bit longer than other companies for their sets. There are exceptions (I think Samurai Champloo came out pretty quickly) but they usually wait closer to two years for their sets, I think.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I bargain hunt, but I don't nearly have that kind of patience to wait years before a boxset goes down in price (assuming they were expensive before).

Gankutsuou will most likely have a boxset release, as it seems to be popular enough to warrant one. Kyo Kara Maoh! will probably have one as well, but hey, you never know. My estimate is that a Gankutsuou box will appear near the end of the year, or at least by Q2 2008.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
^ Yes, Geneon generally doesn't release "rediculously cheap" boxed sets like many other companies do, and their intervals between last volume and collections are among the most inconsistent in the industry. Some show up very quickly after the last volume, even at the same time, while others go for years without a collection. And the popularity of the series doesn't make a bit of difference, guys.

Rumiko Takahashi Anthology - 1 week
Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - 2 years, 5 months (if you count from the release of Vol 5. of the first series, it's 3 years, 6 months)
Samurai Champloo - 6 months
Girls Bravo - 6 Months
Last Exile - LE set same day as Vol. 7, thinpack 10 months later
I my me Strawberry Eggs - 4 years, 4 months
Human Crossing - 1 year, 7 months
Chobits - 1 year, 8 months, not counting the half-series sets[/url]
GunGrave LE set same day as Vol. 7, thinpack 5 months later
DearS - 1 year
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar - still awaiting a collection after 3 years, 3 months
CardCaptor Sakura - 1 year, 11 months
Paranoia Agent 2 months (probably to get it out in time for Anime Expo)

So I guess the answer, based on this random sampling, is that it's the luck of the draw if you're waiting for boxed sets on Geneon series -- I don't think they're doing simultaneous releases of boxed sets and last volumes anymore, but you might get lucky and have one within 6-8 months. Or you might get unlucky and have to wait a few years, though Geneon seems to be on a re-releasing spree these days.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
I buy almost all of my Geneon titles as they are being released since their box sets tend to cost around the same price as the individual releases. I recall pre-ordering Gad Guard, Last Exile, Herlock, Takahashi Anthology, Mermaid Forest and ROD box sets since the preorder 25% off was a little better than the standard 10% off for the already released volumes at TRSI. Had I been on top of things I would have preordered these series individual discs at pre-order prices.

I don't know how I feel about the half box sets like the ones for X, Chobits, and Heat Guy J. ADV's Get Backers and Gantz, or Bandai's Wing Gundam make sense since they are longer series, but dividing a 26 episode series in half (didn't Bandai do this to Wolf's Rain?) seems a bit silly.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Little Snow Fairy Sugar- still awaiting a collection after 3 years, 3 months

Snow Fairy Sugar had a boxset, I bought it on sale from Rightstuf ages ago. Let me check my order history and get you a date...

Edit: I ordered that January 27th, 2005. So it's been out awhile.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey nice pic, Buster Blader.

I bought DVDs 1-5 of Gun x Sword just to see Priscilla pictures and no other reason. I had seen Gun x Sword 1 earlier and thought it was junk and I didn't buy the rest until Priscilla appeared on the covers.

Unfortunately even though Gun x Sword is finished now, I'm not buying the last 2 DVDs even though Priscilla is in them because only 3 episodes per DVD is too expensive (greedy Geneon) for me considering how much Gun x Sword sucks (to me) and I only want to see Priscilla pictures and she doesn't get enough screen time. Smile I'm hoping if I wait until Christmas again, maybe Suncoast will have super sales again and they will be like $8 to $14 a DVD like before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1