• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R2 DVD of Ghibli's Earthsea movie to have English dub/subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
[Regular Edition
Limited Edition listing
Watch Impress annoucement THING

Bilingual (and more!) version of Tales of Earthsea (or Gedo Senki if you suck)

Basically, the regular edition will be atleast Japanese and English audio, English subtitles. Limited Edition will be Japanese Dolby and DTS on one disc, no subs, and five foreign languages and relative subtitles (English, french, and Cantonese, Japanese, etc) on the second with discs 3-4 being special features blahblahblah

Links to the limited edition, and various other places have listed that the regular edition will contain English subtitles and an English dub, though details will spring up as we go along (it's very similar to the region 2 release of Howl's Moving Castle)

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
How can it be dubbed if it was never released in the US in the first place?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

In the same way that Innocence, millenium Actress and plenty of other titles can be before coming over. Just because a company is not based in the US doesn't mean they cannot hire a studio to produce a dub for them in the US, or the UK, or anything else. japan Airlines did a bunch of dubs for Ghibli movies (laputa, Porco Rosso, Totoro I think), Manga UK and Madman paid Richard Epcar's studio to do a S.A.C cast dub of Innocence, and likewise they also got a studio or something of UK Radio play performers to do an English dub for Millenium Actress.

There are ways and means of doing anything Wink.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

In the same way that Innocence, millenium Actress and plenty of other titles can be before coming over. Just because a company is not based in the US doesn't mean they cannot hire a studio to produce a dub for them in the US, or the UK, or anything else. japan Airlines did a bunch of dubs for Ghibli movies (laputa, Porco Rosso, Totoro I think), Manga UK and Madman paid Richard Epcar's studio to do a S.A.C cast dub of Innocence, and likewise they also got a studio or something of UK Radio play performers to do an English dub for Millenium Actress.

There are ways and means of doing anything Wink.

Do they hire an american cast or a Japanese cast that a decent grasp on the language? It would be hard to watch it with an engrish dub cast.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Do they hire an american cast or a Japanese cast that a decent grasp on the language? It would be hard to watch it with an engrish dub cast.

Well, the main reason Studio Ghibli include foreign language tracks/subs on their DVDs is that they know their films have an international appeal and foreigners (from a Japanese perspective) import them.

There'd be no reason to cheap out on an Engrish dub, so I'd expect it to be a US dub, I don't know. You'd have to wait for the DVD to come out, in which case they don't have English language credits anyway.
Necrontry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Well, the main reason Studio Ghibli include foreign language tracks/subs on their DVDs is that they know their films have an international appeal and foreigners (from a Japanese perspective) import them.

There'd be no reason to cheap out on an Engrish dub, so I'd expect it to be a US dub, I don't know. You'd have to wait for the DVD to come out, in which case they don't have English language credits anyway.

Technically Ghibli has no influence on who does the dub, although I believe they approve the scripts or at the very least is involved with writing scripts/making slight changes. The distributor, in this case Disney, does. But that pretty much guaranties a well done dub, as they will probably reuse it for the later R1 release, once Sci-Fi losses thier rights for north america's distribution of LeGuin's work.
Sun King

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
So then there shouldn't be any reason for Earthsea to be fansubbed, if this is the case. Perhaps this partially influenced the decision (Disney's decision? Ghilbi's decision?) for the dub and subs.
UKfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, makes me wonder if I should import the Japanese release or wait for the UK release considering they will probably be identical anyway. Confused
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
So then there shouldn't be any reason for Earthsea to be fansubbed, if this is the case. Perhaps this partially influenced the decision (Disney's decision? Ghilbi's decision?) for the dub and subs.

They're still gonna sub it. R2 DVDs are expensive as hell. Plus the casual anime fan (ie, those that get their anime at best buy, etc) most likely are unaware of importing anime.
10円

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I will seriously considering importing this unless Buena Vista gives me a reason not to. Their screw up with the original release of Spirited Away left me rather cynical about their attention to detail and their indefensible reluctance to admit fault and provide a sufficient resolution.

EDIT: Removed comment about fansubs. Man, I sure wish people would stop bringing them up.

Last edited by 10円 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
I will seriously considering importing this unless Buena Vista gives me a reason not to.

Bleh, not me. The one nice thing that happens when an R1 comes out is I'm able to rent a film first to see if I like it. I'm fully supportive of making R2 purchases, but I wouldn't do it in this case. Because a) it's for sure coming out in the U.S. sooner or later and b) it sounds like a really poor film. I'm still vaguely interested in checking it out, since it is a Ghibli film after all, but no imports this time. I'll just wait. This Ghibli R2, on the other hand, is a different story. It's up next on my import list (after Kemonozume, that is).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Bleh, not me. The one nice thing that happens when an R1 comes out is I'm able to rent a film first to see if I like it. I'm fully supportive of making R2 purchases, but I wouldn't do it in this case. Because a) it's for sure coming out in
the U.S. sooner or later

Well who knows if this film will make it to the US concerning there are quite a few legal issues regarding licensing issues with Sci-fi channel having exclusive rights for the next few years. I don't know if I am going to buy this but if legal issues make this movie unavailable for quite some time then I might make it an option of getting this release.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Well who knows if this film will make it to the US concerning there are quite a few legal issues regarding licensing issues with Sci-fi channel having exclusive rights for the next few years. I don't know if I am going to buy this but if legal issues make this movie unavailable for quite some time then I might make it an option of getting this release.

To be honest, reason (b) far outweighs reason (a) in my case. There's no way I'm going to import mediocrity when I can just wait a few years. It's not exactly like I'm on the edge of my seat here.

I appreciate your news, though, Steven. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Urd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Is it really a limited edition ? I don't read that.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
To be honest, reason (b) far outweighs reason (a) in my case. There's no way I'm going to import mediocrity when I can just wait a few years. It's not exactly like I'm on the edge of my seat here.

I appreciate your news, though, Steven. Wink

Yeah thanks Steven although I am probably going to pass, but I am sure there plenty of others who are going import this dvd.
Like you Cloe after finding out about the pricing for the standard edition for this film (nearly $45) I am also just going to sit on my hands and wait for Disney to pay off Sci-fi so that I can get my R1 release of Tales of Earthsea....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2