• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Silver Phantom VR Anime Sets Up Story With Pre-Show Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
If you watch the full making-of feature on their YouTube channel, I think it's something around 30min. I liked enough of what I saw, that I'm at least willing to throw them a bone and give it a try once some reviews are out and if I can catch it for a good price.

I've said before though, it's really frustrating to see all of these companies put some small "stand here and characters talk at you" not-game in VR when older stuff like Resident Evil 4 is pretty mind-blowing with very minor tweaks to its existing formula. Persona, DotHack, Thief.... any PS2-era game you can think of would be a great candidate to do a VR conversion. Dead Rising 1's entire mall can be explored quite impressively in VR right now, and REengine modding could also lead to the new Deluxe Remaster getting a really easy VR mode....

It kills me when I'm seeing previews of Silver Phantom and some of the environments are looking kinda basic and lacking finer details, or the camera is not-tethered to the protagonist's viewpoint and the focus of the scene is at some angle that wouldn't dare be acceptable as a camera shot in a more traditional media format like animation.

Anyone remember Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2? RAD? I want that in VR. I might eat my words once Silver Phantom goes on sale - that grappling hook was an okay idea and using the hand-lift to traverse seems fun, but these devs need to stop being afraid of giving VR players the full range of motion that something like RE4 Mercenaries demands from you. Capcom is the only game company that seems to be taking VR seriously so far.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
That's kind of cool they had Steve Staley do the narration knowing his long history with the Gundam franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1