• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Produces Anime of Keiichi Arawi's CITY Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
Everyone, this is not a drill.

KYOANI IS ACTUALLY FRIGGIN BACK WITH NICHIJOU SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
omfg no way
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
Hope they go all out when animating Granny
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
Arawi’s magnum opus is finally getting animated!!!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
Nichijou spiritual successor with an all-star cast? What a world we live in.
Rocky U. Doe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
Holy moly, suprised to know that CITY will have an anime adaptation. Having already read the first nine volumes of the manga, I will undoubtedly look forward to it when it arrives.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
Great news! Nichijou is probably my favourite KyoAni anime, so it's nice to hear they'll be adapting City as well. Even if it's not by the exact same team as Nichijou, at least we know the anime will look good.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
So excited for this! Nichijou is an all-time favorite of mine, so I'll definitely be tuning in for this one!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:33 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I am grateful every time I see KyoAni making more anime.
motormind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
So it looks KyoAni didn't learn anything from the financial disappointment that was Nichijou and decided to go with another one of Keiichi Arawi's works that is basically the same as Nichijou, but with even less charm. Where Nichijou is occasionally funny, the CITY manga is filled with one senseless slapstick scene after the other that fail to make me laugh even once, to the point where I barely managed to finish the first volume.

I was hoping that KyoAni would finally announce that yuri anime that was rumored they planned to be making. It would have been a great way to make amends for the egregious yuri-baiting throughout their work so far, but I guess it's not to be.

Also, whatever happened to 20 Seiki Denki Mokuroku? Sure, it didn't sound all that great either, but still more interesting than this.

Anyway, I guess KyoAni's glory days are definitely over. Now excuse me while I put on Suzumiya Haruhi and pine for the good ol' times.

Last edited by motormind on Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Everyone, this is not a drill.

KYOANI IS ACTUALLY FRIGGIN BACK WITH NICHIJOU SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR.

My reaction too! This is the first anime news I've been truly excited about in years. Never expected this to happen, since I felt like the only person to read the City manga, and KyoAni didn't seem interested in returning to this style of anime. Never been happier to be proven wrong.

Some folks might be wondering, "So is this just more Nichijou?" In my opinion City is a natural progression from Nichijou—a step up in comedy from something that was already very funny. It's Keiichi Arawi honing their craft, coming up with even more ridiculous scenarios and snappier jokes. Basically every page has me laughing in City. The main differences between the two manga I can think of are:

1) The central protagonists are college-aged, rather than high schoolers. But they're not in college—so there aren't nearly as many school-setting jokes in City as in Nichijou.

2) Both manga are skit-based, but City overall feels more... plot-driven is probably too strong of a word, but it has more continuity from skit to skit (though not necessarily one right after the other). There's setup and payoff, but during the payoff there's often setup for a future joke—which will either payoff shortly thereafter, or will be saved for a later chapter. There's a wild domino effect of jokes at times that turn scenarios from hilarious to masterful.

3) Ms. Granny.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
So it looks KyoAni didn't learn anything from the financial disappointment that was Nichijou and decided to go with another one of Keiichi Arawi's works that is basically the same as Nichijou, but with even less charm. Where Nichijou is occasionally funny, the CITY manga is filled with one senseless slapstick scene after the other that fail to make me laugh even once, to the point where I barely managed to finish the first volume.

I was hoping that KyoAni would finally announce that yuri anime that was rumored they planned to be making. It would have been a great way to make amends for the egregious yuri-baiting throughout their work so far, but I guess it's not to be.

Also, whatever happened to 20 Seiki Denki Mokuroku? Sure, it didn't sound all that great either, but still more interesting than this.

Anyway, I guess KyoAni's glory days are definitely over. Now excuse me while I put on Suzumiya Haruhi and pine for the good ol' times.

Overdramatic, much?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I had long since gave up any up hope of having KyoAni adapting this manga, I can't believe it's finally happening!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news, but a little puzzling. From what i recall Nichijou wasn't a barn-burner in terms of dvd/bd sales (back when they mattered far more) or cultural penetration in Japan. It didn't seem to be what the Kyoani fanboys wanted.

That said, it's definitely gained a level of cult status here in the west, seemingly from youtube clips & memes alone, so I wonder how much the series will be aimed with an international focus in mind? Not that I care: Keiichi Arawi & Kyoani is a match made in heaven.

Although pour one out for poor Mery. Over a million followers for their Hyouka fanart & they still couldn't get a sequel green-lit. Hope they're doing ok.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Fantastic news, but a little puzzling. From what i recall Nichijou wasn't a barn-burner in terms of dvd/bd sales (back when they mattered far more) or cultural penetration in Japan. It didn't seem to be what the Kyoani fanboys wanted.
If anything that we can talk about the sales, Nichijou was released during the time around the Tohoku Earthquake in 2011, around the time where people were concerned less about buying light-hearted comedy and more about the real things - but it did had some cult status even in Japan. And probably it's way better to bank on that than on, well, Tsurune.

Quote:
Although pour one out for poor Mery. Over a million followers for their Hyouka fanart & they still couldn't get a sequel green-lit. Hope they're doing ok
Ain't the Hyouka case have more with the fact that there are literally not closely enough material to adapt outside of couple of short stories - while Yonezawa is stuck in limbo with it and not wrote anything new in series for years?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2