• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Content *Additions* to Hell Is Dark With No Flowers LN Vol. 1 (Yen Press)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senjuu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
(Disclaimer: I work for Yen, but **this is in no way an official announcement,** and I may be on shaky ground in making it, so I request to remain anonymous.)

Brief notice about the "Hell Is Dark With No Flowers" LN Volume 1. If you've picked up a copy and read it, it may have struck you as oddly, um... "explanatory" in places. It's a pretty complicated series, written by an ex-librarian who really knows their way around Japanese literature and folklore; the translator needed to do a lot of research and had included lots of comments for reference, so that the editors wouldn't have to look things up on their own and any rewriting would happen in the right directions. One of the editors (which one isn't clear) thought that the complexity warranted including translation notes, and since light novels don't get a section for those, they tried to shoehorn them into the main text. Which...does really unpleasant things to pacing and character voice. Translator found out what had happened when the comp copies arrived, went screaming to the chief editor and convinced them to take out most of the added bits and revert the odder changes for the reprints. So the second edition of Volume 1 will read quite a bit differently from the first edition, and this issue shouldn't come up in subsequent volumes.
However, whether those reprints materialize depends on whether the first print run sells well enough to warrant a second print run, and/or how much pressure there is on Yen to issue them.

If you were glad to have that extra information and the insertions didn't bother you, by all means, hang onto your copy; any changes will be relatively superficial, and the main story will be the same. If it made the book seem clunky to you and you were unhappy with it, keep your receipt and see if you can swap your copy for a second edition. Those may not be available for quite a while, and since the ISBN will be the same, ensuring that you're getting a second edition is going to be difficult, so I'd advise contacting Yen for guidance on how to do it. (If you happen to have a physical copy in your hands, the very first sentence in the book will have changed noticeably between the first and second editions, so that's a good way to check.) Ebooks *may* update automatically, but I'm not sure; again, if yours doesn't, contact Yen and ask.

I wasn't directly involved in the editing, but I'm a big fan of the series, and I'm devastated that this happened. For what they're worth, please accept my apologies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1