• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya's 1st New Light Novel Volume in 4 Years Releases on November 29

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, if only we could get more Haruhi anime. What's Kyoto Animation working on now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ah, if only we could get more Haruhi anime. What's Kyoto Animation working on now?

No one knows but most the people involved in the older works are no longer there so I'm not sure I'd have much faith in a season 3
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
Love to see it. Cool

I still haven't read the 2020 book because I've been meaning to give this series a big ole' re-read from the beginning.
I should start getting on that sometime...

Anyway, if it's a worldwide release, I wonder if Yen Press could be making an announcement soon about adding this to their November lineup...
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

People have teased that they've been working on Eupho spin-off stuff (likely focused on Yuuko and Natsuki) since last year. And I'm sure the newer staff who have been extensively mentored by the veterans would do a phenomenal job with Haruhi, they've been doing fantastic work.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:02 am Reply with quote
Remake the whole thing.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Remake the whole thing.

Why? Other than Endless Eight what's there to remake?
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:40 am Reply with quote
RommieSG wrote:

It's okay if you don't understand why.

That happens often to gatekeepers, especially Silent Hill 2 worshippers.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Remake the whole thing.

I feel like you’re just saying that because the original anime is close to being 20 years old, but honestly, I don’t think it needs a remake. The animation still holds up pretty well, and if I recall correctly, there’s nothing that the anime skipped that ended up being very important later on in the light novels. (I’d heard that the latter was the opposite case for Spice and Wolf, and that’s why that got a remake instead of a season 3. The original Spice and Wolf anime is newer than Haruhi, too!)

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this!
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:19 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
RommieSG wrote:

It's okay if you don't understand why.

That happens often to gatekeepers, especially Silent Hill 2 worshippers.

What even is this response?
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:44 am Reply with quote
Megumi Chisato wrote:
What even is this response?
Because I am tired of replying to "Original still holds up, remake is unnecessary." type of replies whenever I make post where I voice my wish for a remake, or reboot.

Personally, I love remakes simply because they are modern versions, and a different take on old things I experienced, or am familiar with.

In case of Haruhi, like, yeah, visuals ARE showing their age, but it's not like I can't enjoy watching it all the same, but I still love to see what would adaptation made in current era look like, the differences, seiyu performances, etc.

If they made a season 3 after all these years, I feel like it just wouldn't work, it would be a situation similar to Full Metal Panic! where most old fans moved on, and new ones wouldn't go out of their way to watch 15+ years old prequels.

With a reboot, you can truly start anew with everything.

Other than that, seiyu themselves would be overjoyed to return to their iconic roles again, and not just for a mere sequel, but for the whole new beginning.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
Classic Haruhi fans, instantly redirecting news about the actual books to "ok but anyway the anime"
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:13 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Classic Haruhi fans, instantly redirecting news about the actual books to "ok but anyway the anime"
Maybe because for most of us, Haruhi anime IS Haruhi, and source material something we will never actually bother to check out.

These news about books are, in a way, just an opportunity to be reminded of anime adaptation, and for me personally, wish for a remake, and not of books themselves.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
>New novel
>Look inside
>Old stories

I'll take it still, better than nothing
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
>New novel
>Look inside
>Old stories

I'll take it still, better than nothing

It's going to be like the last volume, a mix of old and new stories.

As for a remake or reboot, they can make it but I'll pass. The original not only holds up, but I don't think any studio hired for a remake would be as anally retentive on the details as KyoAni was with the series. For example I highly doubt any remake studio would go far as to fix things as minor as which way the ceiling lights run in a shot because they're going the wrong way in the aired version like KyoAni did.

Last edited by RenimLS on Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Maybe because for most of us, Haruhi anime IS Haruhi, and source material something we will never actually bother to check out.

These news about books are, in a way, just an opportunity to be reminded of anime adaptation, and for me personally, wish for a remake, and not of books themselves.

Yeah, I know. It's annoying, though.

I mean, if you want a new version of Haruhi, and you haven't read the books... well, they're right there! There's your new version!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4