• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mermaid Prince Manga Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Kaori Ozaki's work, I'll check this out!
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Any examples of the odd translation choices?
RiderMurdock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:29 pm Reply with quote
As one who has visited Hawaii plenty of times, I’m used to being called a mainlander on the islands!

But love to hear about all these different regionalisms that were brought up in your review! I’ve never heard the term off-islander until this review.

Nonetheless, thanks for the review!
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
I admit to some surprise that the translation used "mainlander" rather than "off-islander" to describe Mugi, but the latter may be more unique to my locality than I thought.

Let's suppose there is Person A who is from a part of Japan and the part does not belong to Okinawa. When people who are natives of Okinawa refer to Person A in the Okinawan language, the terms usually used are 'yamatonchu' and 'naichā'.
When someone looks up those Okinawan-language terms in dictionaries which translate the Okinawan language into the standard Japanese dialect, probably many of those dictionaries say that the meaning of those Okinawan-language terms is '本土の人'.
When a translator who is a native user of English and who can read the standard Japanese dialect sees the Japanese expression '本土の人', since '本土' is 'mainland' and '人' is 'person' ('の' is a particle), chances are good that the translator translates those terms as 'mainlander'.
So if a piece of Japanese fiction includes those Okinawan-language terms and it is translated into English, it is probable that the English edition has the English word 'mainlander'.

You may have read/watched Azumanga Daioh, and in a school-trip-to-Okinawa scene in Azumanga Daioh, a few characters wear T-shirts of which text is '海人', and '海人' is read as 'uminchu' in the Okinawan language. '海' is 'sea' and '人' is 'person', and the Okinawan-language expression 'uminchu' means 'a person whose job is related to sea (such as a fisherman)'. '-chu' means 'person' in the Okinawan language.

The 'uminchu' T-shirt is a real-life thing.

The 7th edition of the Kōjien dictionary says:
Quote:
ヤマトンチュ (「大和の人」の意) 沖縄で、本土の人。

I guess that on your bookshelf probably there is a large one-volume Japanese dictionary which is maybe roughly equivalent to the Oxford Dictionary of English or the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. I would like to recommend to you that you should look up this word in the dictionary, Ms Silverman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1