• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Medalist Anime Reveals 2nd Promo Video, New Visual, More Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty good. By ENGI standards, at least.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
I hope ENGI doesn't drop the ball with this like they have with other adaptions. The CG integration doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it could be, at least.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:46 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I hope ENGI doesn't drop the ball with this like they have with other adaptions. The CG integration doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it could be, at least.

That is such a depressingly low bar that I have ZERO hope that this'll be good since these are the clips meant to get people hyped for a series.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

That is such a depressingly low bar that I have ZERO hope that this'll be good since these are the clips meant to get people hyped for a series.

Idk what you're talking about, it's honestly pretty solid. The triple jump from the ponytail girl looks great even. Sure it's not Elusive Samurai level of animation but most anime will never be that. With limited animation and good direction they can make it work, like Yuri on Ice or Backflip did
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
doomrider7 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Idk what you're talking about, it's honestly pretty solid. The triple jump from the ponytail girl looks great even. Sure it's not Elusive Samurai level of animation but most anime will never be that. With limited animation and good direction they can make it work, like Yuri on Ice or Backflip did

See now the problem is that given the quality of the work, there is NO [expletive] EXCUSE for it to not be at that level or higher. None, Nothing, Nathin, Nada except for willful incompetence and greed. Given that Kadokawa aren't the publishers and the only reason they got in was due to buying into the series as part of the production committee and they own Studio ENGI, I 100% believe money traded hands and for this to happen.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:23 am Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:
there is NO [expletive] EXCUSE for it to not be at that level or higher. None, Nothing, Nathin, Nada except for willful incompetence and greed.

No excuse except for industry over saturation, worker exploitation, poor salaries and insufficient labour force to cover the out of control demand. . Especially because it's Kadokawa, who vowed to produce 40 anime a year, showing their willingness to add to the problem for profit rather than look for avenues to alleviate it. And again, I want to emphasize, this doesn't look bad, not even "just serviceable" by any metric. It has more animation than a lot of sports anime that have been pretty good in their own right and it certainly doesn't look like a wonky mess or a slideshow.

I don't know what fantasy world you live in, where "higher level" than Elusive Samurai (whatever that means) is a reasonable standard or expectation to set, but you're bound to be disappointed more often than not because I don't think even an ideal industry would produce every show on that level. And I think dismissing it as "incompetence" is a huge disservice to the people working on it when, again, this trailer looks pretty good
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
doomrider7 wrote:
there is NO [expletive] EXCUSE for it to not be at that level or higher. None, Nothing, Nathin, Nada except for willful incompetence and greed.

No excuse except for industry over saturation, worker exploitation, poor salaries and insufficient labour force to cover the out of control demand. . Especially because it's Kadokawa, who vowed to produce 40 anime a year, showing their willingness to add to the problem for profit rather than look for avenues to alleviate it. And again, I want to emphasize, this doesn't look bad, not even "just serviceable" by any metric. It has more animation than a lot of sports anime that have been pretty good in their own right and it certainly doesn't look like a wonky mess or a slideshow.

I don't know what fantasy world you live in, where "higher level" than Elusive Samurai (whatever that means) is a reasonable standard or expectation to set, but you're bound to be disappointed more often than not because I don't think even an ideal industry would produce every show on that level. And I think dismissing it as "incompetence" is a huge disservice to the people working on it when, again, this trailer looks pretty good

When the medium is capable of producing things on the level of Shangri-la Frontier, Frieren, Dungeon Meshi, and the upcoming Dandadan and Witch Hat Atelier or even providing an unseen level of quality for trashy shlock like Jobless, your posts comes off as a tolerance and acceptance of mediocrity more than anything else. They COULD make this series look at that level, they just don't care to put the effort into that(not the studio, but Kadokawa) because it's not a priority and they know that large swatches of the community wont care either and happily be wowed by whatever scraps they get tossed and be happy.

Edit: The studio did the recent Unnamed Memory and butchered that adaption too so it reallybIS a competence issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1