• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Minami-ke Manga Gets New Sequel TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:42 am Reply with quote
I can't believe it's really happening, i missed them so much ! Can't wait to see more of Kana's antics.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wow talk about a blast from the past.

Sweet
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
That first season is one of the funniest anime I've ever seen. Here's to laughing my self into oblivion again!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This feels like the kind of news designed to set the old heads into a frenzy, until you remember that only the first season had strong enough direction to match initially hilarious comedy, and that every subsequent season became more stale and lifeless, as every unique gag and visual ambitious idea was rung out of the franchise.

I hope that after all this time away they won't be resorting to reaction shots set to wallpaper backgrounds, as was the show's fate by season 4, but I'm also not convinced that I miss the characters enough to force myself through more. Revisiting S1 should be enough. Outside of the Curry Fairy sketch in S2, you'll get everything you need from the franchise with its first outing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
That's crazy to see it coming back and not as a reboot. Guess this can be a good excuse to finally pull it out of my backlog Laughing
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe now the prior seasons will finally get licensed? Still surprises me how it never got licensed. FUNimation did get Minami-ke Tadaima (the most recent season) for a simulcast, but it didn't stream well enough, and it went without a release back when they didn't do sub-only releases (the first was OniAi). The legal streams vanished with their website in April, it didn't get transferred to Crunchyroll.

(Side-note, I've had fansubs of S1 downloaded since 2012, I still need to get around to watching them...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
That is awesome news!

I'm not sure why Funimation thought broadcasting the last season without any access to previous seasons would be productive. I'm an outlier....I liked what I saw enough to go back and get the previous seasons on DVD before continuing, but I doubt many people who weren't already fans went to the trouble.

Or in other words - I agree with the poster who hopes that the whole anime will finally get a platform.. It's a great show that deserves better than it's gotten..
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Maybe now the prior seasons will finally get licensed?

I hope so and not just for streaming, I've been waiting for official English-subtitled DVD/Blu-Rays of Minami-ke for over 16 years, and I mean all of the seasons, the first season directed by Masahiko Ohta, is the best season by a significant margin but the other seasons have their charms too. The second season, Minami-ke Okawari, is generally the least well-received season due to how much it deviates from the manga and the addition of a small amount of melodrama is a shock after the straight comedy tone of the first season but I kind of like the melancholy winter atmosphere that a lot of the episodes have and I don't hate Fuyuki.

Minami-ke Tadaima, the fourth season, was the best season after the first but I hope the new season does a better job explaining all of the quirks and eccentricities of the supporting characters for new viewers because Minami-ke Tadaima generally assumed viewers had already seen the previous three seasons and didn't really do any exposition for the massive amount of supporting characters, which probably left new viewers confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
hell yeah, I mean HELL YEAH! I have been waiting for this for sooooo long. I really loved the series.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:03 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
This feels like the kind of news designed to set the old heads into a frenzy, until you remember that only the first season had strong enough direction to match initially hilarious comedy, and that every subsequent season became more stale and lifeless, as every unique gag and visual ambitious idea was rung out of the franchise.

I hope that after all this time away they won't be resorting to reaction shots set to wallpaper backgrounds, as was the show's fate by season 4, but I'm also not convinced that I miss the characters enough to force myself through more. Revisiting S1 should be enough. Outside of the Curry Fairy sketch in S2, you'll get everything you need from the franchise with its first outing.

Out of all the opinions in the world, that is certainly one of them.

Luckily, a rare one.

Okawari was a slight step down in quality, but then it went right back up.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
And another anime from 2000s being brought back.

I should really watch it myself, considering I knew about it for years.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:14 am Reply with quote
For the ones who are not familiar with the series, it has a very fun formula.

The three sisters goto different schools due to their age gap, so at first we have 4 groups of characters, one for each of the sisters school mates, ans pne of the three sisters at home, which is very different to you regular slice of life with one or.laybe two groups , the latest being nichijo.

And, the cool part is that eventually those groups crossover, in the at house segments the sisters get visits of random school mates, so you get to see some fun combinations.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
Minami-ke is the sort of series where as soon as it is completely forgotten about it comes out with a new season. Sometimes even a decade apart.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
At this point, anything can get a sequel from the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2