• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The New Gate Anime Series Review

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Richard is being more charitable on the story front than I would be, as the story elements which could be interesting are pretty much directly lifted from In the Land of Leadale (except maybe for the part about Schnee seeming to recognize that she had no free will back during the game time). But I completely agree with him about other complaints, especially about the technical merits being a mess; episode 12 in particular is atrocious.

This is the second-worst series of the season among the 25 titles I've watched to seasonal completion, above only The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases. If there are merits to this franchise, they certainly aren't in the anime version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zekro94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I didn't expect the anime to go in such a bad direction, episode 1 was okay-ish but by episode 12 you start to wonder if the animators just gave up and they got interns to do the animation. With that name I was expecting it to be a manwha but it's a light novel. Even so, that ending of episode 12.... dear god if you look at Rionne and how they drew her, it almost looked like the ugly Marcille from Dungeon Meshi, but worse
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
To put it bluntly: I loved the concept, hated the outcome. Out of the 27 series I watched in the Spring, this was at the bottom, unfortunately, (those last few episodes, godly bad....).
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read the novel on this one, but I picked up the manga during a lull earlier this year and enjoyed it enough to binge around 100 chapters over two weeks. It's way more fun than In the Land of Leadale IMO--at least in manga form. Nothing I would consider incredible, but an easy 6 or 7. (An actual 6 or 7, not a MAL 6 or 7.)

Agreed that the anime fell way short. It skipped a surprising amount, and what it did cover lacked impact as a result of the poor presentation. Even in the finale they altered events to cut four characters; three of which were mentioned being mysteriously out of town when it directly contradicts their backstories. I guess they didn't want to cast more VAs for a single episode appearance when it's highly likely this isn't getting more seasons. The entire adaptation just screams cheap.

Honestly, I'm getting increasingly tired of LN adaptations as the years go by. Albeit not for often cited reasons. Rather, I'm tired of so many anime adaptations phoning it in. Shoestring budgets, cut corners, altering, if not outright whitewashing characterization to make characters less contentious, ending series before characters get together (particularly where yuri is concerned), and generally worse art beyond simplification necessary for the medium.

The unchecked greed is real.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly fond of the manga version, so I was mildly look forward to this series. Too bad it turned out to be the single worst thing I actually finished this season just to see how bad it could be. It might not be quite as awful as Kamikatsu a few season back, but I'd be tempted to ask for my money back if I'd rented it.

The series' approach to the question of what happens to a game world after the heroes complete their quest kinda reminds me of Star Ocean: Until the End of Time and its big twist about midway through. spoiler[The Star Ocean universe is a giant MMO run by higher-dimensional beings and at least some of the heroes from the first two Star Ocean games were players. Makes you wonder if there's a message board out there complaining about overpowered NPCs after your party rampages through an area.]
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much a spot on review. Love the light novel, love the manga. Forced myself to endure the anime for those reasons. And it hurt.
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was a huge disappointment, just an absolute disaster of a production.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Do yourselves a favor and just read the manga... It's not the best adaptation of the LN and it's not the best story out there, but at least the damn thing has heart. <.<
sorvani

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if hte author can tell me how to read the Light Novel? It has never been licensed for translation to any language that I know of. The Manga is available from One Piece Books, but I've not heard about the LN being licensed?
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kinda enjoyed it but yeah sad its production was sometimes rough given that the director is experienced
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I dropped the anime but now I'm considering checking out the manga.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this for the concept, so I definitely want to check out the manga. I do wish we had gotten more of a focus on the 500 years passing that we got in the first half or so rather than the current stuff we got towards the end.
Apparently some (half?) of the animation team quit due to working conditions after about the first third of the show, so if true, that could explain the quality.
I didn't really find it to be too egregious for the most part, but episode 12 was one of the worst episodes (visually) I've seen. I can't remember characters going so off model, so frequently, in so many different ways in any single episode I've watched before. At least in any modern show.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:59 pm Reply with quote
sorvani wrote:
I'm curious if hte author can tell me how to read the Light Novel? It has never been licensed for translation to any language that I know of. The Manga is available from One Piece Books, but I've not heard about the LN being licensed?

Ah, actually, what I read of the light novel, I read in Japanese. I didn't realize it had never been published in English. That's too bad.
Elfensjón

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:14 am Reply with quote
Compared to Sasakoi which was produced in the same animation studios who produced this series (different production stuff), I recognized that this series did not face such production issues than Sasakoi did.

Animation-wise the title is one weaker side leaving Sasakoi and The Banished Former Hero behind. The characters fell flat (only that Banished Hero had worse characters). There is no character and world development. Plot-wise we have seen this x-amount of times, so there is nothing new to re-invent the wheel.

But as some other people pointed out that the manga should be good, I give it a read.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:45 am Reply with quote
Well, the series sold me and it seems many others on the story/concept of it so it succeeded to some degree I suppose. It just sucks that the frankly horribly animation and botched pacing ruined the whole thing. I enjoyed it despite those issues but I can not recommend it to friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2