• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tadaima, Okaeri Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essedess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely not. There is no power on Earth, in Heaven or Hell that could make me watch/read anything from the absurdly stupid omegaverse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of problems with the omegaverse, but I gave this a chance after all, and pretty much enjoyed it, just pretending they were a gay couple with kids, and overlooking the bullshit about heat and pheromones and marking, which didn't intrude on the story too much until near the end. And I did like it a lot, for its willingness to openly show not just affection, but desire between the leads. I wish anime about actual gay couples also felt they could get away with that kind of normal intimacy (without needing an R rating to go there). Now that I think about it, anime in general could do better about showing affection between any flavor of couples without all the drama and fanfare leading to every (omg) kiss. This series was worth watching just for that.

Anyway, the kids were a treasure. The letters to Ran-kun bit was delightful, as was Hikari's first errand to the post box. The probable side couple of Tomohiro and Yuuki were cute too. If they did another season, I'm pretty sure I'd watch it. Still not going to ever love the whole omegaverse thing though.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I love BL content, and while I appreciate the fact that LGBT representation has become more common in media lately, the omegaverse makes me uncomfortable. It's not just omegaverse, either. There are several other BL "-verse" subgenres that I've had to avoid. With regret, I can't give this series a fair chance. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but for now, hard pass on the pheromones.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:06 pm Reply with quote
As a gay person, I’ve never cared for the omegaverse. I’ve tried a story or two but could never find much interest or enjoyment from the premise. However, I rather enjoyed Tadaima, Okaeri. The omegaverse wasn’t on display like it normally is. You mainly only knew it was there from the words of others. I don’t remember it having any issues with pheromones until episode 11 and that was literally for 2-3 minutes and then it was over. Will this entice me to give the omegaverse another chance? Absolutely not. I can find plenty to watch and read without it. But I think this show is a worthy choice for enjoying some queer content.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why the review mentioned nothing about Yuki who was basically there.from the beginning and his Beta nature and personality provided a perhaps look from a naive audience seeing relationship dynamics up close. Loved his slow burn relationship had great layout especially also his role in each of the major miniarcs with his passionate deliveries.

Glad we got Omegaverse, fanfics take it to the more extreme with the heat nesting etc, the Tadaima Okaeri basically off screened it or put it to such a minimal degree you'd have to be into Omegaverse to catch the implications of the heat pills/medication...also didn't know why they off screen intimate make out performance in bed scenes, could have done the fade to black at least

Anyway hope we get more, and set in school, without the burden of childrearering.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Not sure why the review mentioned nothing about Yuki who was basically there.from the beginning and his Beta nature and personality provided a perhaps look from a naive audience seeing relationship dynamics up close. Loved his slow burn relationship had great layout especially also his role in each of the major miniarcs with his passionate deliveries.

Embarassed

The review was already super long, and I wasn't sure it could stand another two paragraphs about Yuki. I also really liked his role in the show. I believe in the manga his romance gets its own volume - from what I can gather (which could be totally wrong), the main family has three volumes, Yuki has one, and the twins/Michiru's dad get one. I'm trying to hunt down the French edition, but it's OOP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1