• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Journey Through Another World: Raising Kids While Adventuring (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote

(A) Journey Through Another World: Raising Kids While Adventuring (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 16 volumes, written by Shizuru Minazuki, illustrated by Yamakawa)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: EMT Squared

Genres: fantasy, slice of life

Themes: childcare, isekai

Plot Summary: Due to a mistake by a god, Takumi Kayano loses his life and is reincarnated. Bestowed with various skills, he finds himself transported to another world—a perilous forest infested with monsters. In that forest, Takumi discovers what appears to be twin young boys and girls, whom he names Allen and Elena, and takes them under his protection.

Despite being surprised by the two effortlessly defeating monsters with their martial arts skills, Takumi eventually reaches a town and registers with the adventurer's guild to make a living. Thus begins a laid-back adventurer's life as Takumi watches over the growth of Allen and Elena.

Air Date & Platform:
July 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I have read the manga of this one a bit in the past so I went in expecting a pretty basic isekai that primarily revolves around being fluffy and cute to draw you in. The first episode is basically that and the animation for it can also be called rather basic if I am being nice. Story and setting wise it is the good old god made a mistake plus reincarnated with skills, items and an inventory in a fantasy world. Like I said: the fluff and cute are the selling points.

My main issue with the first episode is the pacing. It could just be me but it felt like things were happening at 1.5 speed with no time to let anything breathe. I am not cutting it yet due to liking the manga but it is not a strong start.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:16 am Reply with quote
I was fully expecting this to be a one shop and drop show, but I didn't find it annoying the way I thought I would. The kids being five year old MMA fighting demi-gods surprised me for one thing. I still don't know that it's right for Isekai-Kun to take them on adventures at such a tender young age, but to be clear, this is more like that show about the woman who killed slimes for 300 years and wound up taking care of slimes who took the form of cute children than it is a standard adoption story. And that's more interesting than the premise I thought I was getting.

This show has all the trimmings of a bargain bin isekai look-wise, but I actually found it more interesting than the Wand and Sword anime which had much more money poured into its studio. Not something I'd sing praises to the heavens about, but if the show stays at this level, I'll watch it for the same vague, emotionally decompressing, feel good reasons I watched I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 years or Graced by the Gods.

Isekai Trash Panda signing off....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
It is for the same reason that I kept reading the manga. The series does nothing really wrong to put you off and neither is anything that impressive but it is a feel good isekai with Takumi and the godly kids just having fun in the world. It is always nice to have one or two wind down shows every season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I will keep watching this. The animation is barebones at best and the pacing can be a little of but it is a fun fluffy show. With the arrival of the pets the show is in fact fluffier than ever before and each episode is a mix between a bit of fighting and just enjoying the town. I will probably not post here all that often since it is not a show with exciting developments.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I hear you, Smurky. As a fellow Isekai doormat willing to sacrifice all claims to taste or discernment, I too refrained from cutting bait with this show after the three episode mark. I considered it pretty seriously in the first thirty seconds of episode 3 while they were sifting through more free, awesome gifts from the water god. The whole OP free ride thing can be annoying and kill any suspense that a show can generate. But then I remembered that suspense wasn't the point, that the hook was some Iskekai shmuck adopting Superman as a five year old, and Super toddler also has a twin sister. I can't say that it's well written or even well executed, but the show's not a bad, friction free way to unwind.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Takumi is going to be drowning in money soon (while he already has a lot of it). Inventing/introducing new foods, discovering a labyrinth, killing monsters plus probably selling a sunken ship...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:54 am Reply with quote
Ep 10

This is the second show this week to broach the idea of raising slimes to meet demand for an unexpected use (the other being Dahlia). Weird.

I'm mostly enjoying the ride, to my surprise. The kids have gotten cuter as they become less inhibited. Like, I got a kick out of them watching whatsisname in the rocking chair and knew they were going to go after it like kids playing with the boxes the toys came in at Christmas. Smile

So he's discovered a ton of dungeons no one else knows about? Yeah, probably a good idea to keep that to himself, though at the rate he's going, he's going to be world famous anyway.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, even acting lowkey will still get him famous over time. Also, those are some smart bandits this week, they see a guy with several beasts including a normal sized red lion and decide that they should go for it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:46 pm Reply with quote
He's been trying to keep his beasts a secret, but he's got a ton of witnesses now, so I think the cat (or lion) is out of the bag. Also, how long did it take them to bring all those women and children and captive thieves down from the mountain, which was apparently a grueling enough journey that they used the beasts to get there in a short time? (I wonder if he can put living beings in his Bag of Holding without killing them?)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The cat is indeed out of the bag, given how lively a bunch they are it was just a matter of time. I think it was stated that Takumi can not put living things in his inventory.

Anyway, with the latest episode the first and probably last season is over. The show was an innocent and fluffy show from beginning to end. It was nothing special but it is nice to have at least one fluffy show every season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1