• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start With Magical Tools (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start With Magical Tools (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 10 volumes, written by Hisaya Amagishi, illustrated by Kei)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio:
Imagica Infos
Typhoon Graphics

Genres: fantasy, slice of life

Themes: isekai, medieval, reincarnation, sorcery

Plot Summary: After dying of overwork in Japan, Dahlia is reborn into a world filled with magic. Raised by a master of magical toolmaking, she develops a passion for the craft and becomes engaged to her father's apprentice. Before her father can see her wed, however, he suddenly passes away.

As if this weren't enough, on the day before their wedding, her fiancé announces that he's in love—but not with her. Dahlia finally realizes she needs to live for herself. She vows to be her own woman from now on and devote herself to her craft, even if it's not quite the quiet life she was hoping for.

Air Date & Platform:
July 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
So I had this anime earmarked for my potential chillaxin' anime, and it fit the bill nicely. It's obviously not going to be one unending parade of mindless delight - the father's quickly suppressed hand tremor seemed like a pretty ominous sign of things to come, and just based on the title, it seems likely that this new apprentice he mentioned hiring is going to get up to some shenanigans. But this was the anime equivalent of a relaxing bath.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether or not Dahlia has full access to her memories from a previous life, but I expect that will be cleared up next episode.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Can we start a petition to send Tobias to North Korea? By himself of course since Dahlia deserves better.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:16 pm Reply with quote
For my part, I wish the anime had sped up the prologue to the fresh start which is implied in the title. Next week the anime will be at the quarter mark and they're still not done with the stuff leading up to Dahlia's break with her past. When there's some 90 minute to 2 hour movie with a female lead making a new start, they don't spend the first half hour gradually revealing and detailing the sad, painful circumstances. They have a five minute scene at the beginning showing the last fight, or a scene showing the lead discovering their BFF and lover cheating, or the end of the divorce court hearing, or whatever. Or, they have a montage of representative flashbacks while the lead is cleaning up their new store or unloading their U-haul or whatever.

My basic takeaway from epsisode 2 was I like Dahlia. I hate Tobias. I like the premise. Get on with it.

But it's a pretty quality show from what I can tell, and I'm eager to see the show promised in the packaging.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
My basic takeaway from epsisode 2 was I like Dahlia. I hate Tobias. I like the premise. Get on with it.

Exactly so. Tobias is extremely hateable, but there's not quite enough depth for this to be any real exploration of controlling relationships or anything. So instead we are just spending 30-40 minutes in unpleasant company.

They either need more or less Tobias; I agree, given the nature of the show, a lot less would be better.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to agree with thinking that the fresh start as an actual start to the show would have worked out better. That way you would have a bit of mystery in wondering what happened while being able to get right into the fresh start of the title, you would also have good pacing and the show can use flashbacks to show why she is so much happier in the new situation compared to the old one.

What we actually have gotten are two episodes filled with plenty of drama/unpleasantness. That does make me look forward to the actual fresh start but it was a bit of a downer.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, most of the third episode was still a bit of a downer (I think Tobias deserves a punch to be honest but it is probably indeed best to move on and forget) but Dahlia has her own place now with the freedom that comes with that, her friends are sticking by her and judging by the end of the episode a new sparkling romantic interest.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I hope this anime didn't lose too many people during the dreary bummer-osity of last week's episode and half of this one, because I really enjoyed it when the anime started to pick up. I like the characters who stepped up to support Dahlia when she needed it too. I think my favorite line was "Congratulations on your mutually beneficial broken engagement." Delivered with a genuine smile from the woman who'd obviously loaned Tobias money so that he could make a clean break, not out of concern for him, but to get rid of the trash as quickly as possible.

The point the anime seems to be developing is that living well is the best revenge, and I tend to agree with that..
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:45 am Reply with quote
Sigh, I really hope that saying Tobias is finally gone and then being proven wrong the next episode is not going to stay a thing. As for the attempt to make me feel slightly sorry for him.... nah, I do not, sorry. Also, while I am complaining, the animation and in particular the shadows are very wonky looking.

Otherwise the episode was solid with getting to know the sparkling monster slayer a bit better and having Dahlia start her own company.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
Backseat driving, purely hypothetical, imaginary anime editor that I am, if I were in charge of adapting this work to anime, I would have started this anime with the wagon wheels rolling to symbolize journeys and the passing of time, interspersed with flashbacks involving Carlos and Tobias. At the end of episode 1, I would have had Dahlia meeting Wolf.

I say that, because if I ever rewatch this series, I'll skip the first three and start with this episode.

I suspect we will be seeing more of Tobias, Smurky, but it should be more enjoyable because everyone's least favorite chud muffin will either be exposing his true colors more blatantly and becoming an outright villain, or he'll be in decline and paying for his BS while Dahlia establishes herself, or both.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
You were proven right with episode 5: our favorite little monkey did indeed show up again for a bit. That said, it was a moment for Dahlia to flaunt that she has moved on from him and can do a lot better. I would like to say that such an ending would be fitting to close things on but he will probably show up again next episode for some reason.

Otherwise we got to know Wolf better and it seems like Carlo had half the town in his pocket favors wise. And yeah, the animation is still pretty budget.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Otherwise we got to know Wolf better and it seems like Carlo had half the town in his pocket favors wise. And yeah, the animation is still pretty budget.

To be fair, it's not like they've got a lot of pulse pounding action sequences where the illusion of life like motion or larger than life like motion really matters all that much.

Animation really hurts shows like New Gate or helps shows like Wand and Sword, ,but in a show like this, the drawing is more important. The artwork here isn't as good as Days With My Stepsister- there have been several times when that show has lingered on a park next to an apartment complex or a street view and I've thought, "I'd buy that if it was a painting." - but Dahlia Rising has pleasant looking backgrounds and characters.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I suppose that is true, the show has no real action (so far) so it can get away with decent animation and some proper looking artwork. I do say so far though given that the title of next week's episode sounds a bit ominous.

Episode 6 I rather liked. We got to know more about the mc's including some interesting details. Those golden eyes for example seem almost hypnotic in nature given how big the difference is between Wolf wearing the glasses and not. Dahalia not having paid enough attention in the past and having her hand burned so much that bones were on display is also worth a mention. Combine it with the enchanting sequence and she can act a tad reckless (charming looking sequence btw).

As for our good mate Tobias, it seems like he is indeed entering a period of struggle. It is very much the question if he has enough talent to stand on his own and he also has to watch out in regards to that one noble family.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
Emilia is a bit of a cypher. That part where she apparently left signs of her existence in Dahlia's home as if marking territory made it seem like she was a conniving, passive aggressive byatch. But the one time we saw her alone with Tobias, she wasn't giving off that vibe. Now the hints about Emilia's family status make it sound like that's going to be a whole big thing plot wise. The real question is, will this be a case where Dahlia forgives and helps them as part of moving on, or will Dahlia wind up in conflict with them as Tobias and Emilia become increasingly shitty and desperate when they get backed into a corner?

I like Wolf and Dahlia's budding relationship fine. It's so sweet and earnest and methodical that it's almost overdone and not exactly compelling, but it is easy and pleasant to watch.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
Kind of feel like the show has found its groove. If the end of this episode and the title of next week's is any indication, Dahlia's company is about to start trending, or whatever the magical/medieval equivalent of trending is. .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3