• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animated Kiki's Delivery Service Ads Promote McDonald's New Burgers in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
I definitely lose all the magic in my life about 2 hours after eating mcdonalds, so this checks.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
I know when I hear Kiki's Delivery Service, I think (along with other people) of the Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki's film. So here's my question for the McDonald Japan's ads featuring the character. Who did the animation for this? This animation and the character design feels like this was done by Studio Trigger. I hope Studio Trigger did the animation for this ads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wangen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
For god's sake, Disney...

Just buy Ghibli already.

Please, don't @me.
YackDe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I know when I hear Kiki's Delivery Service, I think (along with other people) of the Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki's film. So here's my question for the McDonald Japan's ads featuring the character. Who did the animation for this? This animation and the character design feels like this was done by Studio Trigger. I hope Studio Trigger did the animation for this ads.

The ads were almost certainly done by Yoko Kuno, whose style has pretty much no similarities to anything Trigger has done.
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

Just buy Ghibli already.

Please, don't @me.

I know you said to not @ you but Ghibli is a subsidiary of Nippon TV.
Wangen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:13 pm Reply with quote
InNeedOfAName wrote:
Wangen wrote:

Just buy Ghibli already.

Please, don't @me.

I know you said to not @ you but Ghibli is a subsidiary of Nippon TV.
Yeah, I found out about it after writing my previous Post. Too Bad.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

Just buy Ghibli already.

Please, don't @me.

Ghibli has nothing to do with this ad. It's licensed from the original Kiki novels, which Ghibli does not own.

Anyway, to me the most amusing thing about this ad is that they're selling a burger with a big fried potato in it. As if McDonald's doesn't sell you a little box full of fried potatoes with basically every meal. Did McDonald's grow too many taters this year or something?

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Anyway, to me the most amusing thing about this ad is that they're selling a burger with a big fried potato in it. As if McDonald's doesn't sell you a little box full of fried potatoes with basically every meal. Did McDonald's grow too many taters this year or something?

This surprises you a decade and a half after KFC introduced the Double Down Sandwich?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not how I expected Kiki to come back, let alone voiced by Aoi Yuki.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The ads were almost certainly done by Yoko Kuno, whose style has pretty much no similarities to anything Trigger has done.
Not really similar to Ghibli style either. At least in the image at the top of the article, it really doesn't look like Kiki at all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
Does Kiki take Uber Eats?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The commercial is meant to evoke the original Kiki’s novels and not the Ghibli film which is why she doesn’t look like Ghibli Kiki. Personally I think Cup Noodle did it better.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
For those curious, the first volume of the series is available in English, and it's a nice pleasant read. Basically a middle-grade chapter book, telling a few short "episodes" of Kiki helping various people out. Some bits were including in the Ghibli film, some were not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1