• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream Dungeon People Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow compared to this spring season Hidive is going on a bigger licencing spree, happy for Sentai/Hidive!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Wow compared to this spring season Hidive is going on a bigger licencing spree, happy for Sentai/Hidive!

Same here. At this pace 10 simulcasts are in play.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

While I’m happy to see, it’s all very small stuff, they need some mid tier series (aside from oshi no ko s2 that is pretty big).

They are announcing these fast thanks to AX, hoping they have at least one more.. a bigger one.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
TiagoCosta wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

While I’m happy to see, it’s all very small stuff, they need some mid tier series (aside from oshi no ko s2 that is pretty big).

They are announcing these fast thanks to AX, hoping they have at least one more.. a bigger one.

The gigantic mainstream shonen blockbusters have always been Crunchyroll’s meat and potatoes, and Hidive doesn’t have much hope of ever biting into that, but I honestly think that’s fine. If Crunchyroll is the company focusing on building and maintaining mass “casual” appeal, and Hidive is at peace with catering to a little bit more of a “hardcore” fanbase, that sounds like a healthy market to me.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

The gigantic mainstream shonen blockbusters have always been Crunchyroll’s meat and potatoes, and Hidive doesn’t have much hope of ever biting into that, but I honestly think that’s fine. If Crunchyroll is the company focusing on building and maintaining mass “casual” appeal, and Hidive is at peace with catering to a little bit more of a “hardcore” fanbase, that sounds like a healthy market to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about shonen stuff (I don’t even watch those), I’m talking about something like Giji harem, gimai seikatsu, roshidere, shoushimin. Bokuyaba/Hyouka like potential series.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TiagoCosta wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about shonen stuff (I don’t even watch those), I’m talking about something like Giji harem, gimai seikatsu, roshidere, shoushimin. Bokuyaba/Hyouka like potential series.

I actually imagined HiDive getting Giji Harem, lol .. but they got even better with 2.5 Dimensional Seduction.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:00 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

I actually imagined HiDive getting Giji Harem, lol .. but they got even better with 2.5 Dimensional Seduction.

I also think that I Parry Everything has a chance to be a hit for Sentai/HIDIVE.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
JustMonika wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

I also think that I Parry Everything has a chance to be a hit for Sentai/HIDIVE.

You know all this being said, it's not like I'm expecting it to be a major sleeper hit or anything, but since it is the actual subject of this article I should mention that, having read the first few chapters of the Dungeon People manga, I personally am looking forward to the anime adaptation.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote
2.5D Seduction indicates that HiDive is trying to, well, not corner the market, but grab up echhi shows that Crunchyroll, now owned by Sony, is more likely to heavily censor. (Or, as happened with Funimation and Interspecies Reviewers, drop the series but keep the rights, putting the show functionally into jail.) HiDive shows might still be censored, but only to the exent that the owners of the shows themselves want them censored (to sell more Blu Rays, maybe?).

I think the difference is that Hidive will screen shows like that as uncensored as they are allowed to, while I suspect Sony/Crunchyroll will themselves censor shows more than required. If I'm right, I hope Crunchyroll drops ecchi shows entirely and lets them go to HiDive. I say that as someone who has only ever liked one echhi show ever, Gushing Over Magical Girls, and for me the ecchi parts were the least likeable part of the show. Even so, in general I'm in favor of showing things as they were meant to be seen and then letting people decide if they want to watch it or not.

It would be nice if HiDive could have one 'driver' show a season--Eminence in Shadow, Dangers of My Heart, Reincarnated as a Sword, that sort of thing. I think that level of stuff would be good enough to keep them afloat, they don't really have to have Chainsaw Man or Kaiju No. 8. And really, if Crunchyroll were ever to be outbid for something like that, it wouldn't be by HiDive, it would be by Netflix or Disney.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1