• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Launch Academy to 'Nurture Anime Creators in Global Markets'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:12 am Reply with quote
So... An animation school? I mean, that's all I can decipher from it. I wonder what they are offering, that you could not get from any other animation school.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
I am always torn about when I hear something like this, anime seeking multinational talent. Its good to ask since more people are needed to make anime but, I rather not have outside influence to a medium that is created from Japaneses' people unique cultures, history, and personal experiences. Thats why I got into anime decades ago, it wasnt American and offered, and still does, alternaative ideas and stories I dont see here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:38 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

I am always torn about when I hear something like this, anime seeking multinational talent. Its good to ask since more people are needed to make anime but, I rather not have outside influence to a medium that is created from Japaneses' people unique cultures, history, and personal experiences. Thats why I got into anime decades ago, it wasnt American and offered, and still does, alternaative ideas and stories I dont see here.

There are already anime being produced in the West like Castlevania

Incidentally, PBS News in the US just recently aired an anime piece on broadcast TV:

"What’s behind the growing popularity of Japanese comics and animations in U.S."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHpiIAJiExo

AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
casenumber00 wrote:

If its made in the west its by definition not anime. Anime means animation made in japan, or japan-someothercountry coproductions, nothing else. For example, a dunnart can look like a mouse, without being a mouse, in the same fashion something can look like anime superficially but that doesn't make it anime.

And I'm sick of the "honourary anime" attitude people have. I like western animation, I think western storytelling and animation has potential precisely because western cartooning styles and western storytelling styles offer things anime doesn't. Redwall never would have been made in japan. Ernest and Celestine never would have been made in japan. Peanuts wouldn't have been made in japan. As an anime lover, oh, I don't judge people from taking influence from japanese animation/manga, but why should, say, the australian animation industry sit around trying to make their animation indistinguishable from japanese animation, instead of telling stories which speak to the writers/artists.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That's a domestically made American animated show, based on a Japanese video game. It's like how the Super Mario Show was an American show based on a Japanese video game.

You might as well argue that Heidi, Girl of the Alps is a Swiss TV show, because it was based on a Swiss novel.
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:41 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That's a domestically made American animated show, based on a Japanese video game. It's like how the Super Mario Show was an American show based on a Japanese video game..

It doesn't help Netflix advertises the show as 'anime'. I think people just have so little respect for American animation these days anything remotely non-conforming is slapped with the anime label in an attempt to escape the label of being a cartoon.

On topic: I'd rather Sony not get involve din anime given the direction they've gone with their video games. But if this is just marketin buzzword and they're going to make stuff like Gen;Lock and High Guardian Spice and other western cartoons that get billed as anime like Crunchyroll did then oh well. Just don't touch the actual stuff or meddle with adaptions of manga people enjoy

Last edited by That Little Rapscallion on Fri May 24, 2024 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, but Castlevania is different. It's produced by Konami based on the script co-created with Igarashi, using the game's anime artworks

It's like when WB Animation let Japan do its version of Batman, and the Japanese came out with Batman Ninja - but the reverse

Otherwise, that's like saying jazz can only be produced in the US South, and that Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop fame cannot, by strict definition, create jazz since she's not from the US South
WoodDude

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ah, but Castlevania is different. It's produced by Konami based on the script co-created with Igarashi, using the game's anime artworks

I don't know what you mean by "using the game's anime artwork" but none of the iconic Castlevania artists like Ayami Kojima are attached to the show. And Igarashi briefly worked on the 2008 film as a consultant for Warren Ellis but any of his involvement, if any actually made it to the final show a decade later, would not have extended past the first season at the most generous interpretation of that information. But back when the first season premiered the way he gave his comments gave the impression it was the first time seeing any of it so more than likely Igarashi had nothing to do with the series. Although that much was obvious given how little it resembled the games.
vorkedlarfleeze

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

Technically it's already being done with a lot of current anime animation being done by overseas animators companies hire and contract out. I know plenty of foreign animators work on shows like JJK and One Piece already. Specifically I know that Kay Yu guy who made the HoloCure game worked on Onimai last year

I don't have an issue so long as they just remain as workers doing what the creators tell them and respect the art and don't try to change things. Sony's name being attached to this is the most worrying thing to me given how they treated their Japanese games the past couple of console generations so their motivations are suspect to me.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
I think the age of Japanese anime is essentially ending in the sense that anime which is
made ENTIRELY by Japanese animators in Japanese studio in Japan.

Of course I do not believe this will ever entirely go away.
I just think it's going to be the exception and not the rule.

Rather than brick and mortar animation studios I believe we will be seeing more and more
"virtual studios" with freelance animators from around the world and while this will upset
a lot of people I think it's pretty likely that "AI Art" will be used for inbetweening if it has
not already (I'm guessing it already has).

I don't see animation being made entirely or mostly by "AI Art" because well the result is not very good. People say "AI Art is just going to get better". Maybe. But I think it's just as if not more likely that "Ai Art" would actually get worse or simply stagnate which is why I think the push will be towards "AI Art" but with a greater degree of human control.

While it may be easy to say it's just all greedy corporations wanting cheap "AI" labor
I think the push towards "AI Art" in animation will actually be from animators themselves
who would rather not die young from overwork.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:31 am Reply with quote
That Little Rapscallion wrote:
It doesn't help Netflix advertises the show as 'anime'. I think people just have so little respect for American animation these days anything remotely non-conforming is slapped with the anime label in an attempt to escape the label of being a cartoon.
Yeah, the motivation is certainly down to marketing. I would love to see people make animated inspired by say Renaissance era Disney.
enurtsol wrote:
Otherwise, that's like saying jazz can only be produced in the US South, and that Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop fame cannot, by strict definition, create jazz since she's not from the US South
Jazz is a genre of music, that originated in the America south. Anime is not a genre, it's a geographical medium, like how Bollywood is Indian films. I'm tired of these false equivalents.

Also, the designs for most Castlevania games were made by Ayami Kojima specifically for the games, they didn't come from any Anime. Nor are the Castlevania games adapted from or based on any Anime.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
Almost 10 posts in and no one has given any on-topic related criticism of this news yet. Are we really making the Castlevania debate in this topic? Really?

Since the Crunchyroll-Funimation merger, with Suehira Asa sitting on production committee in behalf of Crunchyroll, they have already co-produced like 80 - 100 shows, and people here are still bringing up the dumb idea that CR is going to make Western anime or even pander to the West. FYI, CR co-productions are actually diverse ranging from isekai/fantasy LN (Chilling in Another World with my LV2 Skill, Sasaki and Peeps), romcoms (Elf Bride), shoujo manga (A Girl and Her Guard Dog, Vampire Dormitory), seinen manga (Sengoku Youko), originals (Metallic Rogue, Delusional Monthly Magazine) to korean manhwa (Viral Hit). Jesus Christ, a simple AniDB search only takes up a minute.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Almost 10 posts in and no one has given any on-topic related criticism of this news yet.
You can't be surprised by this. The headline is begging reply guys to litigate the definition of anime away from Japan's own definition (literally any animation) and into one that reflects a view of the world that is both narrow and wrong (Japanese productions often outsource grunt work to other countries).

I think to English and other non-Japanese audiences, "anime" is a method of storytelling defined by a particular style and narrative method; America has been doing shows in the anime style for probably about 20 years. Between that and a declining Japanese workforce, actively pursuing global markets makes sense.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Almost 10 posts in and no one has given any on-topic related criticism of this news yet.
You can't be surprised by this. The headline is begging reply guys to litigate the definition of anime away from Japan's own definition (literally any animation) and into one that reflects a view of the world that is both narrow and wrong (Japanese productions often outsource grunt work to other countries).

I think to English and other non-Japanese audiences, "anime" is a method of storytelling defined by a particular style and narrative method; America has been doing shows in the anime style for probably about 20 years. Between that and a declining Japanese workforce, actively pursuing global markets makes sense.

Saying people need to adhere to the japanese definition of japanese loanwords is the etymological fallacy, or simply put, a bullshit argument.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So... An animation school? I mean, that's all I can decipher from it. I wonder what they are offering, that you could not get from any other animation school.

That seems to be it, other than that reference to Aniplex and Crunchyroll may imply it's a way into things produced by Sony. I can at least see some merit to it. Anime has a reputation for chewing up new talent, while producing more stuff than anybody can reasonably watch, and then wondering why they are then running short on people with the experience to manage a project. Sony didn't buy up all that anime "real estate" just to watch it dwindle. I don't think it will do much about any of the more systemic problems, but there is at least a need for helping train younger talent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3