• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, September 27-October 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's weird to see 4 PS4 games leading the charts, I don't know anything about The Legend of Heroes so I can't say if 50k are good numbers for the game.
Next week it's going to be interesting, the Switch OLED seems to have sold out all of its stock, not sure if Nintendo is targeting new users or people who already own a Switch. Metroid Dread also came out this week but the series, and search-action games in general, don't tend to do well in Japan but Nintendo has been marketing the game a lot in all markets so perhaps more people will try the game, though I'm very skeptical it will even reach the Top 5 next week.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
50K for Kuro is a big drop from last year's game (which did 83K). The series has been losing sales with every game basically, and this is the worst first week on record for any game in the series.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
50K for Kuro is a big drop from last year's game (which did 83K). The series has been losing sales with every game basically, and this is the worst first week on record for any game in the series.

While that's true, the only other games I've seen first week sales numbers for are Cold Steel 3 & 4, which are without a doubt the best-selling games in the series... so I'm not sure if that number is actually telling us much, especially since this is the first game in a new arc. It'd be more interesting to compare that to physical sales for Sky FC/Zero/CS1, but I don't know if there are official first week physical numbers available for any of those.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:

Would it have helped if the game came out on the Switch? I looked up some gameplay videos and I don't know if it could be downgraded to run on Nintendo's hardware.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Simultaneously launching on the Switch could've helped, yeah.

Vanadise wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

While that's true, the only other games I've seen first week sales numbers for are Cold Steel 3 & 4, which are without a doubt the best-selling games in the series... so I'm not sure if that number is actually telling us much, especially since this is the first game in a new arc. It'd be more interesting to compare that to physical sales for Sky FC/Zero/CS1, but I don't know if there are official first week physical numbers available for any of those.

No, CS3 and CS4 both sold much less than CS1 and CS2. Those two did ~150K, CS3/4 did ~100K, Hajimari/Reverie did ~90K, and now we have Kuro at ~50K.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Simultaneously launching on the Switch could've helped, yeah.

Vanadise wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

No, CS3 and CS4 both sold much less than CS1 and CS2. Those two did ~150K, CS3/4 did ~100K, Hajimari/Reverie did ~90K, and now we have Kuro at ~50K.

Your approximate sales numbers for CS3/4 were inaccurate; CS3/4 sold approximately the same number as Reverie did

CS3 first week: 87,261 (source: https://www.siliconera.com/week-sales-legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-fire-emblem-warriors-debut/)
CS4 first week: 85,161 (source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/famitsu-sales-8-23-20-8-30-20)
Reverie first week: 83, 680

So while your statement that the sales number for the series had dropped steadily is technically correct, the drop was not as dramatic as you have implied.

In addition, while the drop of first week sales from CS1/2 (~150k) to CS3/4 was significant, one also has to take into consideration the reason for this drop could be mostly attributed to the lack of a PSV version at launch for the latter (CS3/4) and that the profit margin for the console version is larger despite the lower sales number.

All that is to say, while the first week sales of Kuro is significantly lower than its predecessors, the legend of heroes series overall have not been in significant decline since the first Cold Steel. Still, the lower sales of Kuro is slightly worrying; I hope it'll sell more over the long term.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
No, CS3 and CS4 both sold much less than CS1 and CS2. Those two did ~150K

Do you have a source for that? I've tried looking and have not found anything official.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1