• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakushigoto (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Kakushigoto (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary: Kakushi Gotō doesn't want his daughter Hime to know that he is a manga creator. (from manga)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime adaptation of the manga/novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
"From the creator of Sayonara, Zetsubō-sensei" which both says it all and raises the bar very high. Very likeable cast, some very solid laughs, one beautiful production design that make me remark such several times throughout the episode. I have one very large question... two questions now that I remember the episode started ten years in the future... and considering the original creator, those answers may honestly be surprising if not downright weird or depressing.

With one episode, this series was better than all the shows I saw last season. I forgot anime can actually look like some effort was put into it..That scene in the Star- Fancypeep's den was particularly stellar.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It has been so long since I have seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but at times it practically felt distracting, like how Hime and her friends reminded me a lot of the girls in that one, and the main character is voiced by the titular sensei of that series. Easy to see through the style that the author was the same as SZS and Joshiraku, which I am a fan of both, with all three of these series being done by different studios you still see the creator's touch. It looks good, if it feels a bit like jokes are a bit too fast paced, which worked well in SZS due its kind of manic nature, also in Joshiraku due to its Rakugo thing, but for a father daughter story. I might need to adjust myself for the next episode.

Also ty and not see the psychopaths from SZS in the innocent people here. Also the portrayal of a trans person.
toprak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

It has been so long since I have seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but at times it practically felt distracting, like how Hime and her friends reminded me a lot of the girls in that one, and the titular sensei of that series voice the main character. Easy to see through the style that the author was the same as SZS and Joshiraku, which I am a fan of both, with all three of these series being done by different studios, you still see the creator's touch. It looks good if it feels a bit like jokes is a bit too fast-paced, which worked well in SZS due to its kind of manic nature, also in Joshiraku due to its Rakugo thing, but for a father-daughter story. I might need to adjust myself for the next episode.

Also, try and not see the psychopaths from SZS in the innocent people here. Also the,e portrayal of a trans person.

Do you think it is worth to watch it, I know it's too early to decide but, I wanted to know.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
Holy S-. I expected it, I did not expect it that fast.
Both of my questions were answered but the implications for, well, everything are staggering.

It's still funny but... this is going to quite the trip. Especially if the series continues to develop both timelines.

I need to process everything as well as watch it again before I can say anything concrete.
Excellent first episode, even better... even better?...second episode.

He didn't know about the boxes?! I need to watch this again.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Something occurred to me.

It seemed so strange that they would stage things this way.

Why only focus on HIme at this one age and jump forward to 18, at which point something seems to have happened to Kakushi so he's not around. Why not jump around to a couple times in between? I think the 17 box is a big clue.

So I'm realizing (guessing) two things. Whatever happens to Kakushi happens around the current childhood age being depicted and he has not been present for years. Otherwise, yes, he would have brought in the later boxes.
The other thing is despite it just being a running joke now- one of these young women MIGHT catch him and provide a new stepmother and a new home to Hime.
Have you noticed how she refers to their other house in the flash forwards? She speaks of it as if it is a past residence. If she walked into this other identical house to the one she was currently living the resemblance would have been instantaneous. But it wasn't, she had to think back on her earlier childhood to realize it.

Whether she gets a new mom or not, it is at least obvious that she no longer lives in the same house she did when she was 11.

I also just checked. The manga (a monthly) is complete... or is in the process of completion, less than a 5 year run (less than 4 1/2 actually). This will most likely tell a complete story in one season- maybe 2 cours? Hmmm- could probably get it done in one.

[edit] I'll have to shut up now. I'm weak. It was bugging me too much- needed spoilers so I put the Japanese wiki page through translator... it is of course a horrible google translation (Hime is, of course, always translated as "the princess") but it gave me enough info into what happens without giving too many details.

One little fun fact I discovered that ruins nothing.

The series is actually partially autobiographical, at least to the point that Kumeta actually did hide his occupation to those in his community at large and some of the stories are based on things that really did happen to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11.
This are coming fast and furious now, at least in the Next Episode Preview. As it turns out, spoiler[Hime's mother was alive for the majority of Hime's ten year old lifespan, she was just... "love child"... well, I can just say she wasn't married to Kakushi and she must have been under the thumb of her father

Oh, the second house and the boxes... the second set of boxes.

Oh. That's dark. Kakushi ended his manga after the details of Hime's mother became public but not because of it.

Not directly.

One last "oh" for oh please, don't have Hime's mother be underage when...]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac.

I've added some brutal spoiler tags to your post. I'm not familiar with the franchise (your post has been drawn to the mods' attention) so reduce them as you deem appropriate, but make sure that info from the source material doesn't spoil people's viewing experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
@Animegomaniac.

I've added some brutal spoiler tags to your post. I'm not familiar with the franchise (your post has been drawn to the mods' attention) so reduce them as you deem appropriate, but make sure that info from the source material doesn't spoil people's viewing experience.

No, that was from the next episode preview and what I learned from previous episodes. I know nothing of the source manga but that particular aspect of the story was nagging me since episode 2.

If the producers, who are working from a completed script, are spoiling their own story with one single phrase in the preview that explains most of the plot of the entire series then I'm not sure what could be done about that.

I wonder if it was a translation error, that the Japanese term used was less loaded with meaning or that the English translation changed a subtle turn of phrase into a direct definition? "We all know what that means" when in Japan, viewers were expected to think more "Huh, why is he putting it that way?"
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 am Reply with quote
No probs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
[

No, that was from the next episode preview and what I learned from previous episodes. I know nothing of the source manga but that particular aspect of the story was nagging me since episode 2.

If the producers, who are working from a completed script, are spoiling their own story with one single phrase in the preview that explains most of the plot of the entire series then I'm not sure what could be done about that.

I wonder if it was a translation error, that the Japanese term used was less loaded with meaning or that the English translation changed a subtle turn of phrase into a direct definition? "We all know what that means" when in Japan, viewers were expected to think more "Huh, why is he putting it that way?"

I'm guessing that "love child" in the preview is a red herring not to be taken seriously. Part of a joke or typical misunderstanding/ double-meaning. Like saying "you were a child of love" and she says "love child."
Grandfather wouldn't have painted that "future" painting of the three of them if he didn't think they were serious and destined for a "happily ever after."

spoiler[Yeah, checked. They trolled you, Animegomaniac. Her circumstances for not being around are unusual but you can't describe the situation as anything other than happily married.]

I also made a quick look at some manga chapters- there's a TON of unadapted material. All I could find were scans of the first 4 books (out of 11) and almost half of those 4 books were not done.

I think I see an easy way to create a second series. The flash-forwards in this series are all about Kakushi's mystery. I think it might be feasible to have a season that goes through the same time period but the end sections could be about Hime's mother. There is a story there that this season has completely avoided, even though the actual series does apparently address it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac - my apologies. I was the one who brought your post to the attention of the mods for what I assumed was revealing manga spoilers without using tags. Like, SM, I too didn't really take the "love child" mention at the end of the episode seriously, but you seemed so definite about what that meant that I just assumed you had manga knowledge. Without qualifiers like, "I assume this means..." or "My speculation is that..." I thought you were passing along real details. And while I would not be in favour of what you suggested, story-wise, it actually seemed somewhat plausible given mangakas occasional tendancies to create storylines that make readers want to tear their hair out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
Hime has quite often gotten confused by certain concepts, especially when her friends get involved with their limited understanding of things and stuff they see in entertainment.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The previous next episode preview, the one where Kakushi declared he was ending his manga in 8 weeks, was right after the episode where we learn he "soon" ended his manga after the facts about the fate of Hime's mother became public. That turned out to be a total fake out which I liked. A set up using previously learned information that relied on the viewer's desire to be ahead of the story used as a punchline, great.

This episode's preview gave away so much that I feel that I've already seen the ending. The only part I mentioned from it was something I suspected for awhile, after we met Hime's rich and famous grandfather, a man who always gets his way.

A man that likes his things in their place, I just thought it was for a different reason. That phrase plus the other character at the end of that key changed those reasons immediately and I don't see a way to take them back this time. THAT other thing I mentioned was the plot for Hare + Guu which I don't want to see here... Dr Clive was meant to be unlikable, Kakushi is a supposed author avatar... but it's something I've been worried about since that painting. But it's also Japan so...

I'll say more after the episode as well as the show's ending which I've been looking at closely after the dog was introduced. "There's the dog... so.... What does that mean?"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So, through all the ominous talk he was actually in a coma, which he woke up from in the last episode, but he has amnesia to the point that most of the show was set. Them lampshading how it does not excuse it all for being kind of awful. I actually do like that this entire episode was set in the modern point instead of going backwards, but only highlights my dissatisfaction with a good deal rest of the show. I don't really like how the modern stuff was broken up, even if it was to make this mystery, and I kind of feel like the majority of the show felt too much like it just went off on tangents that were really not important.

Perhaps I would not really give helpful advice, I maybe could have liked if it felt like there was more of a connection to Hime learning things like her father's manga, and it would flash back to like a memory of that time, perhaps starting at her point of view in the episodes before transitioning to Gotou's. It just feels too detached in its segments, such as how some rant about having a meeting or the other sorts of things you would see in SZS would have to do with anything. SZS felt like it was largely about social issues, where you sat down to have a class discussion about how things are and should be, while I think that Kakushigoto should have been a more intimate story about a father and daughter and thus should have felt a bit more relevant. Although perhaps a lot of this disconnect with me could be a difference of cultures.

I think that it had its artsy moments, but I don't think that there was generally anything that was amazing. My rating is Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time, but I probably would have expected a bit more, where perhaps I have myself too high expectations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2