• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime/Manga Scholarship

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Char_Aznable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't let the title of this topic fool you. I'm not offering college scholarships for watching all 87 million One Piece episodes, or for eating the most Pocky in one sitting.

I somehow managed to convince my academic advisors to allow me to write about anime and manga for my senior project before I graduate. I'm an english major that's interested in serious scholarship as well as Japanese culture, and I hope to combine the two into a meaningful paper.

Does anyone know of legitimate sources (books, journal articles, criticism, etc.) that address the roles of anime and manga in the collective Japanese consciousness, or how these arts reflect Japanese society? I'm thinking of something along the lines of http://www.mechademia.org/, at least; not "Naraku9862's 1334 Webpage." Or, do you have any interesting theories that I can plagiarize? Kidding...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot. Also, sorry to you One Piece and Pocky fans.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this will help, but I enjoyed this book and it gave me a few insites into anime:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/rIdX1HMKe9jseyyzB-/browse/item/57248/4/0/0

BTW - thanks a lot for the "bitchy librarian" remark about my avatar! Wink
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I recently wrote a paper on some of the postmodern elements found in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, so I was looking for similar info myself. The best sources I found were scholarly journals that I accessed through Project Muse and J-Stor, mostly because they were the most current. I just did keyword searches and came up with quite a few articles.

Before that, I wrote a paper that contrasted the effects of the atomic bomb on Japanese and American literature and film, using Barefoot Gen as one of the examples. Since Barefoot Gen was published a few years ago, and given the fact that it's pretty well known here in the States, there were quite a few books and articles about it as well. Another book that was helpful was Writing Ground Zero: Japanese Literature and the Atomic Bomb by John Whittier Treat. Well, it would be helpful if you're going to be writing about that, anyway. Wink

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Char_Aznable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, JSTOR rules the world.

The atomic bomb connection is interesting. I just started reading Kuroi Ame (Black Rain) by Masuji Ibuse in my Post-Colonial Lit class, which is a really heartbreaking account of the Hiroshima bombing. I saw Barefoot Gen mentioned recently on this forum but never checked it out. Isn't Grave of the Fireflies also concerned with the war?

P.S. Any character that can pull off the Tuxedo Kamen tophat/cape combo is alright in my book
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but if you can, you should log onto Lexus/Nexus (a huge database) to see if you can find any journals on there, as a start. Your college should be able to get you logged on if they are suscribed to that particular database.

Also, you should look into borrowing this book from a library or buying it:Manga: 60 Years of Japanese Comics, by Paul Gravett. It's really, really excellent and talks a lot about the impact manga had on the Japanese before and after the Hiroshima bombing...info about how it is involved in their society today...it's just great. I read it cover-to-cover for fun, but it had a lot of info that I think might help for your paper.

Last, if you want, I have a professor this quarter at school that works in the Ohio State University Cartoon Research Library. It's one of the most distinguished comic and cartoon libraries in the nation and since she pretty much lives there and her specialities are comics and related art, I might be able to get her to cough up a few journal recommendations. That might take me a few days though, cause I only see her twice a week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1