• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 23-29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait...Atlus released the Strange Journey remake one day ahead of Super Mario Odyssey? Did they realize that too late? (They're still 3rd though, so that's good for them.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wait...Atlus released the Strange Journey remake one day ahead of Super Mario Odyssey? Did they realize that too late? (They're still 3rd though, so that's good for them.)

I would assume the theory behind that was "hey, different console", although the recent SMT V announcement probably caused a lot of SMT fans to more strongly consider picking up a Switch this past week, so I don't know, maybe sales would have been higher if they had put off announcing the SMT V Switch release until after Strange Journey came out.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I like how Mario Odyssey outright destroys its competition. Higher than 3D World it seems.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I would assume the theory behind that was "hey, different console", although the recent SMT V announcement probably caused a lot of SMT fans to more strongly consider picking up a Switch this past week, so I don't know, maybe sales would have been higher if they had put off announcing the SMT V Switch release until after Strange Journey came out.

Perhaps. I was thinking that these release dates get planned far in advance, and definitely a while before they're publicly announced, which can cause one company's major release to come out around the same time as some even bigger release. That being said, it's definitely true that they're on different systems and probably won't get cannibalized in sales as much as if it were on the same system, like how Puyo Puyo Tetris was released on the Switch on the same week asMario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Very strong sales for Super Mario Odyssey! Smile
Shin Megami Tensei's numbers seem be faring alright.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
falcon.punch wrote:
I like how Mario Odyssey outright destroys its competition. Higher than 3D World it seems.

Higher than any 3D Mario, Odyssey has the best first week ever on Japan for a 3D Mario, and this numbers are just for 3 days!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
falcon.punch wrote:

Yeah, 3-D Mario platformers are not as popular in Japan as they are in the west, so it's pretty interesting to see it do so well in Japan. I did the math, and Super Mario Odyssey has outsold every other game on this list (for the week) combined. And the three games right below it also debuted that week.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
SMO domination. GT6 in the teens now. Can't believe GT is selling like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1