• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Children of the Whales Anime Reveals Cast, Netflix Worldwide Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Goddamnit Netflix.

One of the 3 non-sequels I was looking forward to in the Fall 2017 season (the others being Ancient Magus Bride, and Pop Team Epic).
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I hope Netflix doesn't grab anything else. I'm worried about Land of the Lustrous, since Netflix often goes for 3D CGI shows.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
It is great that the Netflix shows get dubs but they really need to learn about simulcasting one of these days.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Netflix strikes again! And I get to see people complain about them again because to them waiting longer should be out of the question! Can't wait to see what shows Netflix gets next. As long as they don't that dumb double paywall Amazon is doing they got my support. Very Happy
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Netflix strikes again! And I get to see people complain about them again because to them waiting longer should be out of the question! Can't wait to see what shows Netflix gets next. As long as they don't that dumb double paywall Amazon is doing they got my support. Very Happy

Of course most people don't want to wait over 6 months to watch anime that is currently airing in Japan. A whole big appeal of simulcast anime is watching things and participating in discussions with other viewers as these episodes air. You lose a huge part of the appeal of watching anime week to week in the format Netflix does.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
From the description, it sounded fairly generic, but the trailer is intriguing, and I'm very interested in seeing the now. Definitely something to look forward to, and with this the Fall season is looking even stronger.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

Of course most people don't want to wait over 6 months to watch anime that is currently airing in Japan. A whole big appeal of simulcast anime is watching things and participating in discussions with other viewers as these episodes air. You lose a huge part of the appeal of watching anime week to week in the format Netflix does.

Most people? Really? All the folks I know would rather just straight up binge-watch an entire show then to wait one week after another. Netflix's model works for me as I do not care about engaging in such discussions every week, I can simply talk about it after I'm done. You and everyone else can complain all y'all like but this is how Netflix work for the vast majority of their time. They don't treat anime like its some special snowflake, they see it as a medium of entertainment worthy of being seen around the world just like other cartoons and live-action shows. Reason why Netflix often waits until they release the anime they license could be due to their agreement, or they want to take the time to have everything ready for their international release. Whatever the case I do not see this as something worth complaining about.

P.S. There's not as many people who watch anime weekly as you think. Just putting it out there.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
And not everyone likes bingeing. Netflix is the only service that does it with all its shows, and while Netflix is popular, so are weekly reviews and episodic discussions, and not just among anime fans. Most pop culture sites and media outlets with television critics have episode reviews now--The A.V. Club. Hitflix, even The New York Times. The A.V. Club even breaks up Netflix shows and review one or two episodes a week after they premiere. It's not a niche idea.

But if Netflix is paying for the show, they should be allowed to release it however they like.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Of course most people don't want to wait over 6 months to watch anime that is currently airing in Japan.

Sure, no one wants to wait. But I’m sure I’m not the only one that doesn’t mind waiting. 6 months is nothing compare to the old days of waiting years for a DVD release. I have plenty of other things going on in my life, plenty of other things to see and do, other anime series to watch.

Catsplay wrote:
A whole big appeal of simulcast anime is watching things and participating in discussions with other viewers as these episodes air. You lose a huge part of the appeal of watching anime week to week in the format Netflix does.

There’s nothing stopping you from participating in discussions weeks/months/years after an anime series has aired. And chances are that whatever opinion or contribution you have will have already been posted by at least 10 other people. The only difference between posting your opinion the day after an episode airs and posting one year after the episode has aired is that fewer people might see and respond to your comment. So I think it’s safe to say that the people who are complaining about not being able to participate in weekly episode discussions are actually just afraid that their posts won’t get any attention.

I love reading weekly episode discussions, and I have no problems with catching up at my own pace. Just yesterday I started watching “Thirteen Reasons Why” which became available on Netflix back in March this year. I managed to get through three episodes, then went to Reddit to skim though the discussion threads for those three episodes. Sure, I’m “late to the game”, but I don’t feel like my experience or enjoyment of the series was diminished. I’ve done the same for pretty much every series (anime and non-anime) that I watch. Heck, I started watching the first season of Attack on Titan over a year after it aired, really enjoyed it, and also enjoyed reading other people’s thoughts and theories, regardless of when it was posted.

If I can watch an anime series shortly after it airs in Japan, awesome! If I have to wait, then that’s fine with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Netflix strikes again! And I get to see people complain about them again because to them waiting longer should be out of the question!

Alright, you've been warned about these kinds of bait style posts before and going into threads to simply stir the pot. Repeatedly. You are not going to get another warning.
kwchou1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
From the description, it sounded fairly generic, but the trailer is intriguing, and I'm very interested in seeing the now. Definitely something to look forward to, and with this the Fall season is looking even stronger.

I didn't read the plot summary before, so I didn't really know what was going on, but it looks Amazing Shocked. I love the on watercolor paper backgrounds. I can't believe that Japanese teens-YA have shows like these to watch, which, in terms of artistic design/merit, blows away any American shows of any type.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
The English title reminds me of some spin-off of "Moby Dick".
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
P.S. There's not as many people who watch anime weekly as you think. Just putting it out there.

The weekly reviews of episodes would beg to differ(on this site and the forums of CR) alot of people enjoy discussing each episode each week especially if a show is really popular, sukasuka had over 300 comments on this site alone in the weekly reviews.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen so far, I may pick up the manga when Viz starts releasing it in November this year. By then I'll have already seen the majority of the anime adaptation so will have better idea whether it's worth it or not. Concept is admittedly interesting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1